Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

BMS OCC and large turbos

Hey guys,

Checked the OCC today for the first time since the RB turbo install. Around two months ago. And I was amazed to see how much more blow by the motor has at the higher power levels. It's easily 2x what I'd normally catch with the OEM turbos during similar conditions.

So for all you high boosters out there who have for whatever reason opted not to run an OCC, expect to see a lot more oil coating your IC, chargepipes, and intake ports. Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

damn, buying one

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Thanks for the perspective. I have been hesitant to get one for some dealer reason's. But it's clearly a preventative maintenance mod. Nice to see them on sale. Is that your best price? Click here to enlarge

I am just going to get one, it seems like a no brainier after my new FMIC, CP and walnut shell blasting I did 5k miles ago.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

It is a no-brainer.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I still don't have one and my valves were pretty clean at 54k, had some oil in the IC ,but overall not bad, guess I'm lucky. If I go RB I will have to pay attention a little more and see if I need a oil catch can.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I still don't have one and my valves were pretty clean at 54k, had some oil in the IC ,but overall not bad, guess I'm lucky. If I go RB I will have to pay attention a little more and see if I need a oil catch can.
    that is interesting, I did my cleaning at +- 45k and my buddies at 52K, his was way worse, wouldn't think 7k would make that much difference. My buddy also has done some research and he came across OCC actually catching a lot of oil and some others don't? I wouldn't say it was the setup, but I guess there are many variables?
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Many variables. The biggest is probably overall engine health and blow by. More blow by, more oil caught. And driving conditions that increase blow by like high boost levels along with higher RPM will result in more oil caught. The main thing though is to have the protection in place to prevent the oil from going back in to the intake path should you encounter increased blow by at some point in the future.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Many variables. The biggest is probably overall engine health and blow by. More blow by, more oil caught. And driving conditions that increase blow by like high boost levels along with higher RPM will result in more oil caught. The main thing though is to have the protection in place to prevent the oil from going back in to the intake path should you encounter increased blow by at some point in the future.
    Terry......

Does the Burger OCC have a gasket seal between the upper and lower units?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Yes.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yea I'm pretty happy I had minimal blow by, not sure why but I'll take it. I'm assuming this mod is a must for upgraded turbos right Terry?
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Yes.
    $#@!.....mine doesn't.

I was wondering why the outside of the catch can basin was becoming slick.....must be leaking from the threads without the o-ring then Click here to enlarge

Can you send a spare gasket to Mike?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

The gasket is in the top of the OCC, so you'd only see it if looking from the bottom. Just get in touch with Mike and he can request an extra with his next order.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Yea I'm pretty happy I had minimal blow by, not sure why but I'll take it. I'm assuming this mod is a must for upgraded turbos right Terry?
    For the price and ease of install I'd say it's a good idea for any N54. But especially so for those running 14psi+ boost levels regularly. And for large turbos absolutely must have.
    Burger Motorsports