Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

N54... Long trips, road trips, eh?

Hey Guys, I have owned my 08 335i for exactly a month and a half now. All is well so far, no problems or hiccups, and of course I'm JB4 tuned already! lmao. I was wondering, am I the only one who is afraid to take the Bimmer for a longer drive?... Say 2 hours - 3 hours to the shore when the summer comes, 6 hour round trips. I don't know but I'm really hesitant to take the car on a further drive. Yes She only has 32k miles on her, I guess I've been reading too many bad stories. Thoughts? How do you guys feel about taking your car on a further trip? Is your car your DD like mine is?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I've taken my car 1000+ miles roundtrip in two days from alexandria, va to canton, ny and back. No issues at all. It is my DD and I drive it "spirited" at least once a week. I am fbo+tuned. I think if your car is well maintained, you should be ok.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zeel Click here to enlarge
    I've taken my car 1000+ miles roundtrip in two days from alexandria, va to canton, ny and back. No issues at all. It is my DD and I drive it "spirited" at least once a week. I am fbo+tuned. I think if your car is well maintained, you should be ok.
    wow, that definitely boosts (pun intended lol) my confidence in the car a little bit. The fact that she has not had any hiccups thus far is making me smile. When I bought my BMW, I was expecting zero reliability, but she's been holding up well. I won't FBO though, just DCI + JB4 for now Click here to enlarge lol.. thanks for your response

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zeel Click here to enlarge
    +1
    I autocross mine once or twice a month but have also taken it up to NH / upstate NY to family and back on numerous trips. The long highway trip are easier on the car than your drive to work possibly...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedOften Click here to enlarge
    +1
    I autocross mine once or twice a month but have also taken it up to NH / upstate NY to family and back on numerous trips. The long highway trip are easier on the car than your drive to work possibly...
    no way, my drive to work is 5 miles and 10 minutes on the highway Click here to enlarge by the time I get to work, the needle must have moved up and the oil warmed up to about 170 lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by straightcashhomie Click here to enlarge
    wow, that definitely boosts (pun intended lol) my confidence in the car a little bit. The fact that she has not had any hiccups thus far is making me smile. When I bought my BMW, I was expecting zero reliability, but she's been holding up well. I won't FBO though, just DCI + JB4 for now Click here to enlarge lol.. thanks for your response
    That's weird. Here in Europe german cars are considered premium because they're most reliable and offer better quality.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    That's weird. Here in Europe german cars are considered premium because they're most reliable and offer better quality.
    sorry.. I came from the Honda scene lol... my first car was a 1990 honda accord with 210xxx miles, second car was an rsx type S FBO Cams and a tune, driven daily and hard for 80xxx miles with MINOR maintenance.. when I say minor all I remember is oil/transmission fluid changes and a few spark plugs, that was it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by straightcashhomie Click here to enlarge
    no way, my drive to work is 5 miles and 10 minutes on the highway Click here to enlarge by the time I get to work, the needle must have moved up and the oil warmed up to about 170 lol
    well if you get on it before she's even warm then yeah a long high way trip would be easier... It's the getting on it when the engine is cold and the stop and go racing that really beat the hell out of it. Cruising along at 75-80 is cake for this car, especially on cruise as long as she's warm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedOften Click here to enlarge
    well if you get on it before she's even warm then yeah a long high way trip would be easier... It's the getting on it when the engine is cold and the stop and go racing that really beat the hell out of it. Cruising along at 75-80 is cake for this car, especially on cruise as long as she's warm.
    Yea I understand, honestly, I barely even get on her. I baby the crap out of my car lol. The oil temp takes forever to warm up. I usually let the car idle until the RPMs drop to about 600 before I go, how about you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I just took my 08 with 22K from TX to PA a few months ago averaged about 77MPH for the up trip not alot of cops and one wonderful stretch in TN I followed an out of county cop doing 95MPH for about 60 miles. I'm Cobb Stage 2+ FBO and don't exactly take it easy on it. I did however take a fix a flat kit since I don't have RFT's, spare set of spark plugs and a coil pack and few basic tools but that was the extent of my concerns. Also managed average of 25MPG on that trip with a high of 27.5.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    I just took my 08 with 22K from TX to PA a few months ago averaged about 77MPH for the up trip not alot of cops and one wonderful stretch in TN I followed an out of county cop doing 95MPH for about 60 miles. I'm Cobb Stage 2+ FBO and don't exactly take it easy on it. I did however take a fix a flat kit since I don't have RFT's, spare set of spark plugs and a coil pack and few basic tools but that was the extent of my concerns. Also managed average of 25MPG on that trip with a high of 27.5.
    wow, sweet, yea im going to make it a habit to keep a mini toolkit/ some spare plugs and oil in the trunk..

thanks everyone for your responses

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

I purchased my car in Birmingham Alabama, I live in Jacksonville Florida. Drove my old car 6 hours there, traded it in, and drove 6 hours back home in the 335. I've also been to Orlando a few times, which is only about 2 hours from Jacksonville so not bad. It holds up well, but damn is it expensive when $#@! breaks. ABS/DSC pump just went out on my fiances E90 328i - with a hook up at the dealer its still going to cost about $700 to replace Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Remember, most people post on the forum when they have a problem, so if you read/browse the forums a lot your going to see lots of people complaining.

This 335 isn't that bad, the hpfp issue is solved, the water pump seems hit or miss around 50k-80k miles, other than that, the car seems pretty reliable. I wouldn't worry about long trips at all, this isn't a Ferrari.

Most complaints people have about boost leaks, misfires, meth flow, etc all come from modding and installing mod, right or wrong.

I love my 335, I get 26mpg, it's pretty quick, and looks great. Tough combo to beat.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Remember, most people post on the forum when they have a problem, so if you read/browse the forums a lot your going to see lots of people complaining.

This 335 isn't that bad, the hpfp issue is solved, the water pump seems hit or miss around 50k-80k miles, other than that, the car seems pretty reliable. I wouldn't worry about long trips at all, this isn't a Ferrari.

Most complaints people have about boost leaks, misfires, meth flow, etc all come from modding and installing mod, right or wrong.

I love my 335, I get 26mpg, it's pretty quick, and looks great. Tough combo to beat.
    thanks for your reply, noticed u on bimmerpost also, we're local Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I purchased my car in Birmingham Alabama, I live in Jacksonville Florida. Drove my old car 6 hours there, traded it in, and drove 6 hours back home in the 335. I've also been to Orlando a few times, which is only about 2 hours from Jacksonville so not bad. It holds up well, but damn is it expensive when $#@! breaks. ABS/DSC pump just went out on my fiances E90 328i - with a hook up at the dealer its still going to cost about $700 to replace Click here to enlarge
    its ok ive got warranty Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

thanks for your reply, noticed u on bimmerpost also, we're local Click here to enlarge
    Yup, I really only go on that other forum to look at the picture section and for sale forums....this place has a waaay better n54 section. When ur out of warranty, go to Autocouture in fairlawn, nj, they are great.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yup, I really only go on that other forum to look at the picture section and for sale forums....this place has a waaay better n54 section. When ur out of warranty, go to Autocouture in fairlawn, nj, they are great.
    to purchase another warranty? or is that a shop?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

ahh okay, just googled it, sweet thanks. I can travel to helix or VAC also!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I was wondering, am I the only one who is afraid to take the Bimmer for a longer drive?... Say 2 hours - 3 hours to the shore when the summer comes, 6 hour round trips. I don't know but I'm really hesitant to take the car on a further drive. Yes She only has 32k miles on her, I guess I've been reading too many bad stories. Thoughts? How do you guys feel about taking your car on a further trip? Is your car your DD like mine is?
    I'm from CT but used to go to school in VA. I'd do the drive (550 miles) probably 4-6 times a year.. I'm FBO/Meth and every time I was always a little afraid something would go wrong, so I definitely know where you're at. However, time and time again, the car really surprised me.. I never had any issues (thankfully) aside from a random overboost code (had my JB4 settings wrong when i was playing with my meth settings). I drove the car pretty hard most of the time, too.. If you have confidence in your setup, you should have nothing to worry about! Assuming you have no issues such as symptoms of injectors failing/bad coils/plugs, etc I wouldn't worry!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZTZ1010 Click here to enlarge
    I'm from CT but used to go to school in VA. I'd do the drive (550 miles) probably 4-6 times a year.. I'm FBO/Meth and every time I was always a little afraid something would go wrong, so I definitely know where you're at. However, time and time again, the car really surprised me.. I never had any issues (thankfully) aside from a random overboost code (had my JB4 settings wrong when i was playing with my meth settings). I drove the car pretty hard most of the time, too.. If you have confidence in your setup, you should have nothing to worry about! Assuming you have no issues such as symptoms of injectors failing/bad coils/plugs, etc I wouldn't worry!
    thanks for your response! as far as I know my car is running beautifully. The injectors / hpfp were updated/looked at at about 20k miles. I am changing out the plugs soon, and oil in a few thousand miles also. I'll throw in the DCI soon and maybe a FMIC. No DPs for me as I am still under warranty... T

I guess I'm a bit worried because of my friend's experience with his. His DME crapped out for him once on the highway, and another time was his waterpump crapping out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

btw what lip do you have? cars looking sweet!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

OEM mtech front bumper with akrym Carbon fiber front lip insert.....thanks
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

The only reason I don't like to drive the bimmer on long trips is the added mileage. Otherwise its very reliable (until you lose a water pump). Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

As my daily commuter, I try and limit my city miles. But I do enjoy the car, as I should.

I am involved in a Nor-Cal Drive group, I have only done two, but the drives are awesome. Last one was an 4 hr aggressive drive through the hills/mountains. El Eldorado hills, Ca. to South Lake Tahoe, Nv. Loved it. We had two short breaks. Oil temp maintained average of 245 - 250 with stock oil cooler. Could not complain, car performed well. At this time I was COBB S1 Sport. Another one coming up this Sunday, Hwy 1. South bay to Santa Cruz, Ca.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast