Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Evolve S85 M5 at Vmax Afterburner Airstrip Event - Sets highest speed for a S85 at any Vmax Event

Hi Guys

I had the chance to go Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground in Leicestershire UK this Saturday to test out the Evolve M5 at VMAX Afterburner. VMAX is a top speed competition which involves going round a large corner and then attaining the highest speed possible on a 1.6 mile straight. The speed is measured by a laser gun.

Car Specification

2007 E60 M5
    Evolve Tubular Headers
    Stock Secondary Cats
    E-Tronic Rear Exhaust with Unresonated X Pipe
    Evolve Stage 3 Alpha N ECU Tune
    OEM Air boxes and filters
    Shell V Power 99 RON

The aim was to set the highest stop speed for an M5 at the event. Previous record was 189 MPH by M5board member M5Mark which dyno'd at his tuners Dyno Dynamics dyno at 589.6 BHP (flywheel).

You can read more about the VMAX events here VMax - Index

Here is the hall of fame list in full VMax - Results

This is the area we were aiming for.

Click here to enlarge

Video compilation:

Evolve M5 is seen at 0.33 seconds. Got lots of compliments on the noise it made as well as how quick it was.

Some pictures of the Evolve M5. My passenger took lots of pics and videos which I will upload when I get them.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Video of one of my runs. This one was a 188 MPH verified which was almost 200 MPH on the HUD.

It was my first time at VMAX in this car and the first time it had been driven properly since the header install so after playing around with the shift points I managed to consistently hit 200 MPH indicated through the beams which was 190 MPH verified. Goal achieved but I knew there was still some improvement to be made. A few runs later I got up to 203 MPH indicated which was 192 MPH verified beating the previous E60 M5 record by 3 MPH making the Evolve M5 the fastest S85 engined car at any VMAX event. I still think there could be some improvement even with this set up. There will be another event later this year and the car may well have some more modifications by then so we will see how fast we can go!

So at present level pegging with Ultima GTR, Ruf GT2, Modified SL600 Bi-turbo, Ruf TurboR and ahead of other exotica! Very happy considering our car only has 3 modifications: Evolve Tubular Headers, Evolve E-Tronic Exhaust and Evolve Stage 3 Alpha N ECU Flash.

I have more pictures and videos of me vs a ECU tuned E61 M5 and a Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged (pulled numerous car lengths on these) which will be uploaded shortly.

Looking forward to the next event and possible attending some air strip events in Europe.

I will be getting some 60-130MPH times soon as soon as I can book some private track time.

Some pictures of some of the other attendees. I am still waiting for a full list of the results for all the cars that were there on Saturday.

Photos courtesy of Andy Smith. Full collection can be seen here VMAX - Bruntingthorpe September 2012

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So you his 192 and set the new E60 M5 record at the event eh? Congratulations.

The disparity between the HUD and the actual MPH is a bit disconcerting. That's a fairly large gap.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Congrats Imran! That is EXTREMELY quick. Goes to show that your headers, exhaust, and tune do a lot more than look pretty on a dyno chart Click here to enlarge

I can't wait to see what you guys do next time.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So you his 192 and set the new E60 M5 record at the event eh? Congratulations.

The disparity between the HUD and the actual MPH is a bit disconcerting. That's a fairly large gap.
    Not 100% sure about the E60 M5 and E92 M3, but the E46 M3 speedometer reads 5% fast. I've verified this using GPS on my own car. So looking at Imran's posted 203mph, with a 5% over rating of the speedometer, it makes sense for the laser to clock around 192mph. With the E46 M3, with coding, you can actually adjust the speedometer and how it reads...which I should probably do one day...
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    great job evolve!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    With the E46 M3, with coding, you can actually adjust the speedometer and how it reads...which I should probably do one day...
    Didn't know that, I would definitely adjust it. Would be nice to be able to do this with all of them...

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats MOOOOVIN!

I often consider a S85 in E92 swap

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Congrats Imran! That is EXTREMELY quick. Goes to show that your headers, exhaust, and tune do a lot more than look pretty on a dyno chart Click here to enlarge

I can't wait to see what you guys do next time.

Not 100% sure about the E60 M5 and E92 M3, but the E46 M3 speedometer reads 5% fast. I've verified this using GPS on my own car. So looking at Imran's posted 203mph, with a 5% over rating of the speedometer, it makes sense for the laser to clock around 192mph. With the E46 M3, with coding, you can actually adjust the speedometer and how it reads...which I should probably do one day...
    Thanks Alex!

The speedo correction can be done on the E60 M5 and E92 M3 AFAIK.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Another video from the event. More to come.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great video! The car sounds ear-gasmic...
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    imran, How the car feel @ those speeds?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by disruptv Click here to enlarge
    imran, How the car feel @ those speeds?
    Actually quite sedate when there is no cross wind. Front end gets a little light towards the top end. Our car was running stock suspension then. On H&R's now so I would expect that to improve as a lower centre of gravity now.

When there was a little cross wind I had to make small corrections to keep it straight.

I've been at similar speeds on the same track in a Supercharged E92 M3 and that was quite stable too.