Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Anyone experience "whining" noise at speed coming from tranny?

Hey guys! Been a while since I've posted. Car is still pretty much the same (FBO +meth Stg2+ cobb tuned 535). I've still got the baby seats in the back and, yes, it's quite fun to see the guys in SRT8's refuse to look over at me after they get embarrassed.

So, on to my question. When doing a long pull at the track or in Mexico, once I starting getting around 80-90 MPH I start getting a "whine" noise that elevates in pitch along with the RPM's. I assume this must be the transmission or so related part (i'm an auto tranny). I can also assume this probably is not good. I've got 65k on the car and have not yet replaced the tranny fluid & filter. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, any thoughts on what it may be? The car is pushing around 400hp/450tq at the rear wheels so I know the tranny is under a huge strain.

I guess my real question is how awfully concerned should I be and, if you were in my shoes, what would be the best course of action to take to try and remedy the issue. Taking the garage guys out for a run at those speeds probably is not an option.
    2008 BMW 535iA | Cobb Stg2+ | FBO | Meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Output bearing in the trans, wheel bearing or the ring and pinion in the diff is starting to go...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Output bearing in the trans, wheel bearing or the ring and pinion in the diff is starting to go...
    Only one of these sounds not expensive.. ugh. It's definitely coming from in "front" of the gear shift and only makes that noise when under heavy acceleration. From those possibilities it sounds like a tranny flush won't help (which is what I was hoping would make things better).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Sure it's not the downpipes touching the frame of the car under hard acceleration? Do you have downpipess installed?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I do have DP's but this whine sounds centrifugal in nature (very smooth tone which elevates in synchronicity with the engine speed). I've got the whole exhaust system supported by a custom made bracket os it doesn't "chatter" against the cross member which support the stock exhaust.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Still under warranty right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Does it go away or increase, when you are going on a right or/and left tight long bends on high loads?
    If it does its probably a wheel bearing, i had that once.
    E92 AT. COBB S2+ , FBOs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Still under warranty right?
    It is but, wow, that is gonna be an interesting conversation with the SA. I have a feeling I'll need an insider to slide that one past them as i'm FBO with meth.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bash Click here to enlarge
    Does it go away or increase, when you are going on a right or/and left tight long bends on high loads?
    If it does its probably a wheel bearing, i had that once.
    Unfortunately no.. straight line pulls and only when i've been beating on it for a bit. Thanks though, I hadn't thought it could be a wheel bearing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xclone Click here to enlarge
    It is but, wow, that is gonna be an interesting conversation with the SA. I have a feeling I'll need an insider to slide that one past them as i'm FBO with meth.
    Tough but if it comes down to it you can simply remove your meth and bolt on's. If it comes down to it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

i know nothing about the bmw trannys but in the LS world, a whining tranny is usually indicative of low diff fluid...thats an easy fix if it is that
    "We need to upgrade your skill before we upgrade your horsepower"

-Tommy to Josh