Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Im not sure, but that sounds exactly like my e92 n54 and e90 n54. I have yet to be in a N55, so im not sure how it sounds. how sure the sounds are similar since there inline 6's with turbos though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Its Official the 1M will have a 350 HP N54
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Where did you hear BMW official specs?

I did read Car magazine lastest article, about their ride in the prototype. They mentioned N54 with 350bhp.

Quote: "The 135i doesn't have BMW's twin-clutch DCT 'box and as far as we can make out, nor will the M 1-series."

It is quotes like these, they make it hard to believe anything these mags say. How can he say the 135i doesn't have DCT, does he have any clue?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It will have DCT. I have a feeling the 1 M or whatever will be pretty close to the 335is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by unfor Click here to enlarge
    It will have DCT. I have a feeling the 1 M or whatever will be pretty close to the 335is.
    In terms of what, power? This thing will be much quicker around a track than a 335is, I believe.

Because so far it seems everything else is straight M3 parts: basically a lighter shorter wheelbase M3, M3 subframe/suspension, M3 brakes, M3 lsd, just with less power.

One thing is, they are reporting a redline of 7,500. Would just a remap allow that? Doesn't the torque drop off a cliff close to redline with the stock N54? Maybe their is more to the powerplant that BMW officials are leading onto.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It will definetely be an n54 motor.

You could just increase the redline using a remap. It doesn't matter if torque falls off or not, its just marketing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    Its Official the 1M will have a 350 HP N54
    Where is the official confirmation?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    In terms of what, power? This thing will be much quicker around a track than a 335is, I believe.

Because so far it seems everything else is straight M3 parts: basically a lighter shorter wheelbase M3, M3 subframe/suspension, M3 brakes, M3 lsd, just with less power.

One thing is, they are reporting a redline of 7,500. Would just a remap allow that? Doesn't the torque drop off a cliff close to redline with the stock N54? Maybe their is more to the powerplant that BMW officials are leading onto.
    Info is all over the place but if it is 7500 then at least the cams and springs have been changed would at least is something in the right direction.

Who is saying 7500 rpm?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Where is the official confirmation?
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/251375/
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

That is further evidence for the N54 just like Car and Driver stated but not official confirmation from of specs from BMW.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

That is further evidence for the N54 just like Car and Driver stated but not official confirmation from of specs from BMW.
    eh how do they know that is a modified version of the z4 Sdrive35is

"Running a lightly modified version of the twin-turbo 3.0-litre straight six from the Z4 sDrive35iS, it needs some detailed inlet and exhaust tuning before it can be considered fit for the showroom"
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    eh how do they know that is a modified version of the z4 Sdrive35is

"Running a lightly modified version of the twin-turbo 3.0-litre straight six from the Z4 sDrive35iS, it needs some detailed inlet and exhaust tuning before it can be considered fit for the showroom"
    I don't know, I assume they have it correct but it just isn't official confirmation. We are all working under the assumption that it is an N54 due to what Car and Driver and Autocar are reporting. They may be wrong though, we will see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Who is saying 7500 rpm?
    http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...t-ride-review/

"The yellow rev limit area starts at 7000rpm, slipping into the red by 7500rpm."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Don't listen to any of the bull$#@! from any of those "credible" review sites.
    From this spy photo taken of the interior of the 1M it is clearly visible that the yellow line begins at 6500rpm and leads to the 7k rpm redline.
    This is in fact just an N54 with software changes.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The question is why would it take so long to develop the car, if it just using 335is N54?

It doesn't take that long to dial in the suspension, which is straight off the M3 anyways.

They could have pumped out a so-called 135is very quickly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow. Just a standard n54 then. $#@!ing A.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

not so impressed. I consider this a a bmw fail, and lets hope this doesnt happen with the next M3. If it does lets just say it will blow nutz.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    The question is why would it take so long to develop the car, if it just using 335is N54?

It doesn't take that long to dial in the suspension, which is straight off the M3 anyways.

They could have pumped out a so-called 135is very quickly.
    Rumors all were that it was going to be a 135is and then BMW sniffed the opportunity for marketing it seems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I still have some hope for this car. Come on BMW don't fail me......

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wish it was a hatchback like the old school Z3's.

Yum.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by unfor Click here to enlarge
    I wish it was a hatchback like the old school Z3's.

Yum.
    Americans just don't get hatchbacks for some reason.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I think bmw would have made a 135is, but made it a M car since it would probably be more marketable since its a M, and that alone would get peoeple to buy it. a 135is would probably be in price high enough for people to consider to get a 3 series or another car for the money.

The handling,steering,braking and chassis tuning alone would make it a M car. I am sure this is what is taking them so long to produce, is to get all the tuning in the chassis, braking, handling department all in sync and where they want it. Even if it is all off the M3, its a different car in dimensions so they have to dial it all in again.

For BMW, the N54 has been proven, can be pumped out for more power easily and is a more exclsuive engine. Putting a N55 with tuning into it, wouldnt make it really special at all.
    The 1M needed a 6 cylinder engine, so bmw went this route. The engine is good for sure, power might not be where everyone wants it, but the overall package IMHO is going to be great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    I think bmw would have made a 135is, but made it a M car since it would probably be more marketable since its a M, and that alone would get peoeple to buy it. a 135is would probably be in price high enough for people to consider to get a 3 series or another car for the money.

The handling,steering,braking and chassis tuning alone would make it a M car. I am sure this is what is taking them so long to produce, is to get all the tuning in the chassis, braking, handling department all in sync and where they want it. Even if it is all off the M3, its a different car in dimensions so they have to dial it all in again.

For BMW, the N54 has been proven, can be pumped out for more power easily and is a more exclsuive engine. Putting a N55 with tuning into it, wouldnt make it really special at all.
    The 1M needed a 6 cylinder engine, so bmw went this route. The engine is good for sure, power might not be where everyone wants it, but the overall package IMHO is going to be great.
    Yes, the engine is good but basically just giving the same motor already available is a cop out. It is so.. just so not M.

A tweaked N55 as a preview to the next gen M3 would have been the way to go to make it special and deserving of the badge. I agree with you, it will sell more as an M instead of an IS. Freaking marketing, M is becoming a joke.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Albert Biermann head of development has stated it will be lighter than the 135i. Question is how much lighter? At 350hp, it will need about 230 lbs of weight loss to put it at/near M3 power:weight. With the new M3 subframe/suspension bits, wider track, M3 lsd, and a DCT; with proper weight loss could this car lap the ring quicker than a M3? It should be a more nimble car, with the shorter wheelbase. But there is no way BMW can strip that much weight. They should just pull the rear seats, and drop in a couple BMW performance buckets in the front.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

this car is going to be better than the M3
    Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast