Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

2012 1 series M Coupe - Teaser Video and Details - Powered by N54

BMW released the teaser video above on the 1 series M coupe today. The video features Dr. Kay Segler discussing how the car will put a smile on your face and we have no doubt it will do just that which is what the vast majority of BMW's do.

Car and Driver also released their first drive impressions which told us a few things, most importantly that a tweaked N54 would be used putting power at 335 hp which is no doubt underrated. BimmerBoost predicted an N54 in this article here.

The car will obviously have suspension tweaks, a unique exhaust, a limited slip differential, better brakes, as well as unique body work and wheels. However, we can't help but feel a bit let down. First of all, M cars always have had a unique/special powerplant that goes with the chassis. An N54 just running a few more pounds of boost is a bit boring. No cylinder head changes? No valvetrain changes? No turbo changes? No special motor? Many of the N54 enthusiasts are already running more power.

This just seems a bit... bland for an M. The X5 and X6 M at least make the case that they have different turbos and tuning from the base Xdrive 50i Twin Turbo V8 N63 models. The M variant may be based on the regular twin turbo V8 but receives some nice tweaks. From what we understand, this just uses the same base N54 turbos that have always been available. That just isn't enough to justify an M car but most certainly a 135is.

One could already have a 1 M coupe if they have made some suspension tweaks on their own as well as adding a limited slip differential. So what is special about this car? It just does not seem to quite live up to the M standard. We would have at least expected larger turbos or something that can't be had on the base 1 series. Frankly, one can just get tune for their N54, add a limited slip, get some springs, and already have what this offers and then some.

The BMW M power website is featuring the opportunity to sign up for a first drive: http://www.m-power.com/_open/b/home.jsp?lang=en. Expect the 1 M coupe to retail for around $45,000 and be available in the beginning of next year. These latest M offerings have us very concerned about the direction M is headed. This car will be loads of fun, but so is a regular 135. This isn't enough to justify the M badge, further diluting it. The best thing about this vehicle is that they managed to preserve the "M1" nomenclature for something that deserves it.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man, I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself, this car isn't even finished.

That Car&Driver article is so vague and full of speculation, I give it no merit.

They basically road in a proto-type car, didn't even drive it and they are just coming up with figures/numbers.

I will wait until all details are released on the to give full opinion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Man, I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself, this car isn't even finished.

That Car&Driver article is so vague and full of speculation, I give it no merit.

They basically road in a proto-type car, didn't even drive it and they are just coming up with figures/numbers.

I will wait until all details are released on the to give full opinion.
    Well, we know it is an N54 and running a bit more boost.

They are not just coming up with power figures, they are going by what BMW directly told them. Obviously they are going to have to keep it fairly low to not step on the M3's toes.

Am I getting a bit ahead of myself? Perhaps, but if it is as stated so far then I stand by my opinion. I would love for them to make changes that better justify the M badging because if it is what we have been told so far it doesn't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A good quote from Scott26 over on dipshitpost:

"the car is not just an faster 135i although the 135i is a very good car to begin with particular attention is being taken especially to the mechanical set-up and the steering."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A good quote from Scott26 over on dipshitpost:

"the car is not just an faster 135i although the 135i is a very good car to begin with particular attention is being taken especially to the mechanical set-up and the steering."
    Interesting... What exactly about the Mechanical Setup will be different? The manual will be sourced from one they already have. No DCT option is a turn off for some. LSD will be the main mechanical change. The steering will be weightier I guess, probably offering something like the M3's steering modes? Not like it will have a new steering column or power steering removed.

I think 135is may have been more appropriate for this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The more I read the C&D article, the more I think they have no clue what the hell they are talking about.

Scott actually warned of these articles before they appeared on the net. As he said certain publications were getting rides in the proto-type. But rides only, nothinge else. All facts/figures would be speculation.

If BMW have spent same R&D time dialing in the suspension/feel of the 1 M coupe, like they do with the M3. Then that alone would be worth it in my opinion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Interesting... What exactly about the Mechanical Setup will be different? The manual will be sourced from one they already have. No DCT option is a turn off for some. LSD will be the main mechanical change. The steering will be weightier I guess, probably offering something like the M3's steering modes? Not like it will have a new steering column or power steering removed.

I think 135is may have been more appropriate for this.
    I remember him saying a lot of M3 parts will transfered over.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Some other quotes from Scott:

"The engine is based on the updated N55 Six cylinder but reconfigured by the M Division. to accomodate Twin-Turbo and a high performance intercooler."

And mentioned just a week ago:

"The engine being developed for the 1 series M will also provide the basis for the next generation BMW M3 Coupe."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Some other quotes from Scott:

"The engine is based on the updated N55 Six cylinder but reconfigured by the M Division. to accomodate Twin-Turbo and a high performance intercooler."

And mentioned just a week ago:

"The engine being developed for the 1 series M will also provide the basis for the next generation BMW M3 Coupe."
    What the hell? How is it an N55 when Car and Driver goes and drives the car and confirms it is an N54? An N55 would have a single exhaust unless dual is just for looks.

I trust Car and Driver more than some random guy named Scott. He also claimed it would be an M1, and it isn't.

I want him to be right though. I would certainly hope for this car to have a special motor that will serve the basis for the next M3, now THAT makes sense and is how it should be. But, why would Car and Driver have it that wrong?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I trust Car and Driver more than some random guy named Scott. He also claimed it would be an M1, and it isn't.
    I don't exactly trust C&D, either. Scott has too much insider info, to ignore. He seems to know things are happening well before any info is ever released. As for the name of the 1M, I don't think even BMW knew what they would call up until recently.

Here is the remainder of Scotts quote with some other tidbits, mainly the M6 will have a little hp bump over the M5:

"The engine being developed for the 1 series M will also provide the basis for the next generation BMW M3 Coupe.
    The V8 introduced with the X5 and X6 M will be seen in both the M5 and M6 but with a different character and more power . The M6 will also offer a slight increase in power over the M5 to challenge other high end performance cars such as the 911 Turbo and Audi R8 5.2."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't exactly trust C&D, either. Scott has too much insider info, to ignore. He seems to know things are happening well before any info is ever released. As for the name of the 1M, I don't think even BMW knew what they would call up until recently.

Here is the remainder of Scotts quote with some other tidbits, mainly the M6 will have a little hp bump over the M5:

"The engine being developed for the 1 series M will also provide the basis for the next generation BMW M3 Coupe.
    The V8 introduced with the X5 and X6 M will be seen in both the M5 and M6 but with a different character and more power . The M6 will also offer a slight increase in power over the M5 to challenge other high end performance cars such as the 911 Turbo and Audi R8 5.2."
    Interesting but I remember when there were rumors of the M6 getting a 5.5 liter V10 for the same reasons. If the M6 gets a bump the M5 guys will want it, etc. It won't be difficult to provide that bump with these turbo motors though.

Why would BMW allow someone who constantly is posting on a forum to have insider info like that? They would cut off the source. I think a lot of it is speculation and I think most of it is for the benefit of that forum creating a supposed insider. I'll take Car and Driver over this guy but I suppose we will see. Could the engine specs change? Certainly, but I find it hard to believe Car and Driver could get it that wrong when they have the proof right there of being with the guys from BMW and the car itself. Not like BMW would want them to print the wrong thing on purpose so why even invite Car and Driver to see it for themselves to just have them get it wrong?

I'm skeptical, but if it is in fact the N54 with a mild ecu tweak, then it is just for attention and not anyone with any "insider" info at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I
    I'll take Car and Driver over this guy but I suppose we will see. Could the engine specs change? Certainly, but I find it hard to believe Car and Driver could get it that wrong when they have the proof right there of being with the guys from BMW and the car itself. Not like BMW would want them to print the wrong thing on purpose so why even invite Car and Driver to see it for themselves to just have them get it.
    I wonder if BMW even let them look under the hood, I would guess they didn't. It would be nice if they had some visual evidence.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I

I wonder if BMW even let them look under the hood, I would guess they didn't. It would be nice if they had some visual evidence.
    Visual evidence would be nice but I am sure this is one of the very first questions they asked... would make no sense making it up to print it after checking the car out and meeting with them. Guess this is a wait and see just like what the name was going to be but for now I will go with Car and Driver's take but certainly keep my eyes and ears open.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good stuff, can't wait to see the final setup.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If this thing has a N54(JB+) equivalent engine then thats a HUGE letdown. Anxiously waiting to hear what the official specs are. It would strike me as odd that BMW would pull the N54 from their production cars and transfer it over to their special cars, is, M. Just seems odd and a step backwards. Maybe it will be a reworked N54 with different turbos.

Mike

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    M3_WC is right about Scott. I'm almost positive it was revealed that he works for BMW directly, or in close correlation with them.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    WOW... this info is very interesting, them using the n54.. looking forward to more info here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge I knew I should have waited to buy a new car. I agree it is a bit of a letdown, unless they have modified the head, larger turbos or something to be making that extra power at the same 7-8psi of the stock 135i. The suspension, wider track and diff should make it feel much much better though while pushing hard.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    "1-series M Coupe began life code-named 'Pyrat'" Wonder if this is true. Cool freakin' code name. I assume its like Pirate????

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Autobild magazine also confirmed it will have the N54 in it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    Autobild magazine also confirmed it will have the N54 in it.
    But they also already contradicted Car&Driver, saying a saying a DCT will be offered.

These magazines don't know what they are talking about. Could they get some specs right, sure? But all they got was a ride in a Prototype.
    Last edited by M3_WC; 07-09-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ronin Click here to enlarge
    M3_WC is right about Scott. I'm almost positive it was revealed that he works for BMW directly, or in close correlation with them.
    New info from Scott, who says he has driven the car:

"I stood on the sidelines in my marketing role and talked to Journalists @ Ascari, I did not reveal any "official" figures or specifications , As that was not to be discussed, also no actual Journalist got behind the wheel they were taken for a drive around the circuit.

But again I find it hard to give a perspective of what a car is like to drive , the overall response and feel of the car in the grip of my hands via the passenger seat.

Please do not throw in my face -" you said"... when I have already posted a disclaimer. I do not intend to again.

In regards to the M DCT- The car I drove at the Ring was equipped with M-DCT. In marketing an M. A stick fares better to initially communicate with driving enthusiasts. But BMW and M Division test everything until they get the right formula for the car that is what seperates BMW M from the competition, They test so many ideas until everything comes together.

All I do is market the cars when they are ready. The car shown here is not officially ready for production and is still testing."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It won't be a problem for them to add DCT or offer it so I don't see that being a problem. I assume they will unless production is very small and this is designed to be a modern E30.

2 mags confirm the N54, interesting. If he missed it that widely and blatantly something is up but I think he is right in the sense that it should have a special N55 variant.

Does not make any sense to me that BMW would allow this guy to constantly leak information not being leaked to more traditional sources. They usually punish people for doing that so I remain skeptical especially considering the inconsistencies. I'll listen and read though Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So anticlimatic........

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by unfor Click here to enlarge
    So anticlimatic........
    Let's hope some major changes take place.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast