Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Article: Popping the hood on the 2014 F80 M3 reveals a cramped engine bay sporting a 450+ horsepower turbocharged inline-6 cylinder

Rumor from one of the other forums says this is the E80 M3 engine. Thoughts?Click here to enlarge

The air to water interooller is interesting. The length of the cold side air intake tubes and location of airbox is interesting. Interested in the displacement of the engine. Looks like an I6 to me.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

i think it may be a modded n55... hopefully stroked to 3.2-3.3L otherwise, the N54 will still be at least equal...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This new engine, I believe, will be a electrically assisted twin turbo utilizing 2 different sized turbochargers to decrease turbo lag. That is the direction BMW seems to be heading.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

apparently it has 450 crank stock so no issues there. Tuned ... well another story probably.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

in fact... it looks identical to an n55. I will put money on it, that it is an n54 block/bottom end wih n55 head and two modified turbos. It also appears to have an air to water top mount intercooler which is somewhat odd but that could actually make ot even more responsive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Must be nice to have the budget to buy those photos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I'm curious to see if it will have the "electric" turbo like the M power diesel's do in EU?
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I thought the N54 engine bay was cramped, but this takes it to another level.
    Hopefully more room on the bottom end, time will tell...
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

This car is going to be a rocket....usually the m3 is close in speed or better than the m5, I think this car will rip! I plan on having one in 4-5 years :-)

Doesn't the current m5 use a similar air/water intercooler? I'm not worried about this car on the track either, BMW seems to be testing it like crazy with all these track vids....
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Must be nice to have the budget to buy those photos.

I am really curious - how much would something like that cost? How does the process work usually? Is it someone that knows the engineer - meets him at point X - snaps a shot, and sells it to a forum?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Serious amount of engineering btw - looks like they are trying to do it right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I am really curious - how much would something like that cost? How does the process work usually? Is it someone that knows the engineer - meets him at point X - snaps a shot, and sells it to a forum?
    Ya people who sell the photos sell them to forums/blogs. Most just sell them to everyone and make quite a nice profit on it. Seems this one was exclusive (we'll have to wait and see if any more photos pop up) so that cost a tidy sum.

It honestly depends but I haven't worked with these guys. Others have quoted me over $1000 for photos that aren't exclusive. I politely declined.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I'm curious to see if it will have the "electric" turbo like the M power diesel's do in EU?

Do you have a link to this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Euro M550d

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

There's ZERO unused space -- Wondering how effective the cooling system will be after heavy abuse since this looks like it'll have less passive airflow then the N54/N55 engine bays

Performance will obviously edge out the current V8, but it won't even sound 1/2 as eargasmic as the S65 Click here to enlarge
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Very curious what they are doing about the oil cooler. Clearly it has one but hopefully it is much more effective than the one they added to the N54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Electric? Where are you seeing this?

If you are talking about the 2-part electric solution, we are likely to see F1 do the brunt of the heavy lifting on development for the 2014 spec engines......then I would expect to see OEMs jump into the game. But for now...I don't see anyone introducing that yet.

In the image above, the most perplexing thing is the location of the oil filter housing. It's almost like they have parked the oil pump under it, as the whole housing sits really high. That makes me question if it might be mechanical or electrically driven.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Electric? Where are you seeing this?

If you are talking about the 2-part electric solution, we are likely to see F1 do the brunt of the heavy lifting on development for the 2014 spec engines......then I would expect to see OEMs jump into the game. But for now...I don't see anyone introducing that yet.

In the image above, the most perplexing thing is the location of the oil filter housing. It's almost like they have parked the oil pump under it, as the whole housing sits really high. That makes me question if it might be mechanical or electrically driven.
    I read somewhere a while back tha the 3rd turbocharger on the M55d and X5 and X6 M performance vehicles could possibly be an electric turbo. After doing some more reading tonight it's looking like it's going to be an ordinary mechanical turbo charger. I'm not sure if the engine has been released yet so I'm not sure if anyone knows exactly what the 3 turbocharger setup will be but it will definately be 3 turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I read somewhere a while back tha the 3rd turbocharger on the M55d and X5 and X6 M performance vehicles could possibly be an electric turbo. After doing some more reading tonight it's looking like it's going to be an ordinary mechanical turbo charger. I'm not sure if the engine has been released yet so I'm not sure if anyone knows exactly what the 3 turbocharger setup will be but it will definately be 3 turbos.
    yeah it is just sequential turbocharging. No electric turbo... I think electric turbo is a misnomer anyway. Turbos are by definition driven off exhaust gas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

yeah, if you had some kind of electric blower, I imagine it would be more of a supercharger than a turbo anyways huh?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

That's a very stuffed engine bay. Does anyone spot power steering reservoir?

yeah, if you had some kind of electric blower, I imagine it would be more of a supercharger than a turbo anyways huh?
    That's right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Even M3 falling victim to the electric assisted steering? That would be sad news.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Apparently N54 bottom end + upgraded/ported N55 head+valvetrain...makes perfect sense to me as the two were like a match made in heaven...they've gone back to Mitsu turbos again so N54+ power with N55 flow...i think its closed deck as well

On the list as my next ride definitely..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

love that engine but looks overly complicated
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast