Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Question: E90 Exhaust/Resonator

So I know the coupe's exhaust does not have a resonator like the sedan does. My question is what do I need to do to my E90 to make it sound exactly like a coupe? Is it an X/H/Divorced pipe? What should I tell my exhaust shop to do?

Thanks guys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    delete the resonator and add a magnaflow x-pipe. they can be had for $75 or so, and any muffler shop can delete the resonator and weld-in the x-pipe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bryce Click here to enlarge
    delete the resonator and add a magnaflow x-pipe. they can be had for $75 or so, and any muffler shop can delete the resonator and weld-in the x-pipe
    Thanks. I also heard you will benefit from running divorced piping. Does this sound good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Thanks. I also heard you will benefit from running divorced piping. Does this sound good.
    no. divorced piping just means each turbo has it's own full exhaust, with no cross-path. the x-pipe is great for flow and sound. there are only a few true divorced exhaust setups. AE is the main one i can think of. i'd recommend just welding in the x-pipe, assuming you already have catless downpipes. with the solenoid by-pass, your exhaust will sound pretty damn good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just get a 335is or the BMW PE, either will give you a much more throaty exhaust. The IS exhaust gives you the benefit of keeping the flap when you want to be socially acceptable
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Just get a 335is or the BMW PE, either will give you a much more throaty exhaust. The IS exhaust gives you the benefit of keeping the flap when you want to be socially acceptable
    True, but I really like the sound of the coupes with the DP and don't really want much more than that. It'll be cheaper too

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    True, but I really like the sound of the coupes with the DP and don't really want much more than that. It'll be cheaper too
    Then an X or H pipe with resonators (to avoid rasp) would be ideal
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I personally like the sedan over the coupé but thats all personal. Like everyone has said, just weld in a xpipe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Dont do this if you have catless downpipes, unless you want your car to sound like a civic under 4k rpms. Expensive mistake...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yep. honestly, x-pipe welded into the place of the resonator on the e90 with catless downpipes = one of the best sounding exhausts for the e90. basically the same thing as the e92 with catless downpipes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @lulz_m3 I'm glad somebody other than me also feels this way lol. Everywhere you go on the other forums ppl are like "OMGGG PE w/ DP's OMGG". All along people called me an idiot when I called the setup raspy lol.

I loved the PE alone, sounded GREAT, but then I fell for the downpipes lol... and then ended up falling for more hyype as well and bought the Vanguard.... I guess people love rasp?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    @lulz_m3 I'm glad somebody other than me also feels this way lol. Everywhere you go on the other forums ppl are like "OMGGG PE w/ DP's OMGG". All along people called me an idiot when I called the setup raspy lol.

I loved the PE alone, sounded GREAT, but then I fell for the downpipes lol... and then ended up falling for more hyype as well and bought the Vanguard.... I guess people love rasp?
    It's crazy man. After reading the reviews and listening to numerous vids I was positive I would be thrilled. The sad part is I never even got to enjoy the PE with stock downpipes, I put it on after. I'm seriously contemplating going back to stock muffs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This. I have an e90 and did exactly this with the Magnaflow X-pipe. I have kittyless DPs, secondary cats in place, and the sound is just right. No drone on the highway and it really added some volume and just a touch of rasp. Very nice mod if you ask me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stangorang Click here to enlarge
    This. I have an e90 and did exactly this with the Magnaflow X-pipe. I have kittyless DPs, secondary cats in place, and the sound is just right. No drone on the highway and it really added some volume and just a touch of rasp. Very nice mod if you ask me.
    agreed Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    E90 Company,

I am looking to do the exact same thing and was directed to this part by a fell BB member (as other have referenced in this post).

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/...oductId=759589

Price is pretty good as I searched the web and was not really able to find it much cheaper.

Just say no to rasp....
    Click here to enlarge
    '07 E90 335i AW 6MT Sport & Comfort Pkgs
    MODS: |COBB AP | CP-e | ER | Forge | DCI | KW V1 | M3 Sways | BBS CH | M3 Body Parts| MTech | CF Wrap Trim

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I absolutely love the sound of my BMW PE, but to get the power that I want I need aftermarket downpipes. After reading the reviews, especially here, I decided to pop for the AR downpipes with the resonators because I really, REALLY don't want to lose the sound I have. I'm hoping that it works and I can maintain the sexy ass sound of the PE.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdaddycane Click here to enlarge
    E90 Company,

I am looking to do the exact same thing and was directed to this part by a fell BB member (as other have referenced in this post).

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/...oductId=759589

Price is pretty good as I searched the web and was not really able to find it much cheaper.

Just say no to rasp....
    Thanks for the link! This is what i'll get for sure.

Golf tee mod valve open?

yep. honestly, x-pipe welded into the place of the resonator on the e90 with catless downpipes = one of the best sounding exhausts for the e90. basically the same thing as the e92 with catless downpipes.
    When you say basically the same, is there any difference? Or are you just referring to the fact that I would be using a Magnaflow part rather than OEM?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the link! This is what i'll get for sure.

Golf tee mod valve open?

When you say basically the same, is there any difference? Or are you just referring to the fact that I would be using a Magnaflow part rather than OEM?

Basically yes. I cut the valve off when I put Dimisa tips on the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Basically yes. I cut the valve off when I put Dimisa tips on the car.
    can you add the Dimisa tips WITHOUT cutting off the valve?
    Click here to enlarge
    '07 E90 335i AW 6MT Sport & Comfort Pkgs
    MODS: |COBB AP | CP-e | ER | Forge | DCI | KW V1 | M3 Sways | BBS CH | M3 Body Parts| MTech | CF Wrap Trim

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdaddycane Click here to enlarge
    can you add the Dimisa tips WITHOUT cutting off the valve?
    Don't think so. The are a bit long.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nick, when you get this done, let me where you went and how much they charged you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Currently rocking a muffler delete and dimisa tips on my e90. After my next round of emissions, I'll be getting kittyless downpipes. I have been trying to find vibrant resonators and xpipe combo that will help the exhaust sound.
    I'm thinking of doing this because I've heard time and time again that catless downpipes with a muffler delete sounds like dog $#@!, and I honestly think my muffler delete sounds WAY better than a friends Corsca exhaust with catless dps.

Adding that magnaflow xpipe improve some things? @lulz_m3, @E90Company, @bryce, @Dr. G, @benzy89
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This. Sounds real good with stock mufflers and catless downpipes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW Click here to enlarge
    Currently rocking a muffler delete and dimisa tips on my e90. After my next round of emissions, I'll be getting kittyless downpipes. I have been trying to find vibrant resonators and xpipe combo that will help the exhaust sound.
    I'm thinking of doing this because I've heard time and time again that catless downpipes with a muffler delete sounds like dog $#@!, and I honestly think my muffler delete sounds WAY better than a friends Corsca exhaust with catless dps.

Adding that magnaflow xpipe improve some things? @lulz_m3, @E90Company, @bryce, @Dr. G, @benzy89
    I think the vibrant resonators alone should clean up the exhaust note quite nicely. It also depends on how loud you like your exhaust.
    jb4+fbo+meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    I think the vibrant resonators alone should clean up the exhaust note quite nicely. It also depends on how loud you like your exhaust.
    I like my exhaust pretty loud/aggressive, just not too loud for a BMW. Im just worried that without mufflers and dps the "bad" sounds (drone and the high pitch tinny sound mid rpm range) will be louder, not the mean growl/rumble.

But I definitely don't want the stock mufflers back on, way too tame.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast