Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Is timing control redundant with new E85 maps?

The reason I ask is because I've ran E40-E50 blends since Jan '12, and not had a single hiccup in forms of timing drops with it and methanol injection combined. I'm contemplating whether I should hook up CPS wires on my G5 board, but why would I when I've never had issue's aside from in the form of auxiliary hardware (meth stuff). Is it absolutely necessary?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

If you plan on running an E85 blend full time, you do not need CPS. On pump gas (any octane) I think you should.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The CPS wires are only suggested for larger turbo cars on pump gas. Stock turbos, meth, E85, etc, can leave them off.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Damn sorry Terry, accidentally begged you trying to scroll in my phone. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Timing control is never redundant. What those logs are telling you is that given your current state of tune your timing has enough octane to run without corrections on cylinder #1. Hopefully all of them are just as clean and I wouldn't expect otherwise. However, you are leaving some power on the table given you could advance your timing past stock targets. CPS on the JB4 currently allows only for timing to be pulled not added. I'm not sure why that is the case, Terry?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Timing control is never redundant. What those logs are telling you is that given your current state of tune your timing has enough octane to run without corrections on cylinder #1. Hopefully all of them are just as clean and I wouldn't expect otherwise. However, you are leaving some power on the table given you could advance your timing past stock targets. CPS on the JB4 currently allows only for timing to be pulled not added. I'm not sure why that is the case, Terry?
    Timing advance is a much more complex programming task from a technical standpoint as you have to know where the missing teeth are and emulate them before the CPS actually reads them. Retarding timing only requires delaying the rising and falling edges by x timer clicks with no indexing involved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Mike335i knows this? Dude who are you? Terry? Lol what's going on here?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Mike335i knows this? Dude who are you? Terry? Lol what's going on here?
    LOL, damn! Caught!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    LOL, damn! Caught!
    Caught? lol. I'm definitely not Terry, just someone with some personal experience "advancing" a CPS signal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

I have a version of the CPS module that can advance, which I used for in house testing, but I never got around to porting that firmware over to the N54 production CPS module or G5 board. Didn't see any real world gains that were worth the risk. And there is some unresolved bug in the software I need to hunt down. To be honest CPS is pretty obsolete since our high HP cars are all using our back end flash mapping now. But technically speaking doing CPS advance isn't much more difficult than doing CPS retard. In either scenario you need to count and track the teeth. If you don't count them during retard you will compute the delay improperly when the missing tooth comes around.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 09-09-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

To further the point, an AP would be a solid next step to get that beneficial timing advance with E85 mixes.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    To be honest CPS is pretty obsolete
    Sure is...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I would very much like to see this option, possibly even allowing a safe +1-2degrees in certain area's such as the upper mid-range.
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Have you dynoed your car OP? Looks fast..
    E92 AT. COBB S2+ , FBOs.