Close

Thread: A Choice

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A Choice

Ok so I'm building a lightweight rwd converted platform and I'm relitively new to BMW engines. So my question is what engine can I Turbo and get a moderate say 450 on stock internals? The platform I'm running all together minus engine and trans weighs in at about 1200 lbs and I want the most power I can get on a low budget build or should I go with a smaller VW 4 cylinder?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok so IV found an m50 for a reasonable price so the next question is can I put down 450 out of this engine with stock internals with a Turbo?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pixley Click here to enlarge
    Ok so IV found an m50 for a reasonable price so the next question is can I put down 450 out of this engine with stock internals with a Turbo?
    With a thicker head gasket yes.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

yes very very easy add head studs and a MLS head gasket and you're golden

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys that's what I wanted to know I hope to start posting some build soon this thing should be pretty sick when I'm done

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

M30 can do that without a head gasket too. Dirt cheap and strong. It's a bit heavier than M50 though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Yea I looked at the m30 but I'm going for a big power to weight ratio and room for more power later on when I decide to do a full build on the engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yea I looked at the m30 but I'm going for a big power to weight ratio and room for more power later on when I decide to do a full build on the engine.
    There is a E30 with M30B34 and stock bottom end making ~560whp. But the M30's have head gasket problem even in the stock form so an aftermarket headgasket is necessary. Overall M30 is a stronger motor and what's really cool about it for FI is it has 8-9:1 compression ratio which is suitable for boost. And it's just ~20-30 lbs heavier than M50. But the 2V head doesn't flow much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
    yes very very easy add head studs and a MLS head gasket and you're golden

Correct
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yea like I said with an engine and trans in the car I'm shooting for less than 2000 lbs and as of right now it will easily make that I weighed the empty shell at 800 lbs with the doors hatch and front clip installed so the lighter the better on the engine end and I'm going to use the getrag five speed so it doesn't weigh but 75 lbs Max

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yea like I said with an engine and trans in the car I'm shooting for less than 2000 lbs and as of right now it will easily make that I weighed the empty shell at 800 lbs with the doors hatch and front clip installed so the lighter the better on the engine end and I'm going to use the getrag five speed so it doesn't weigh but 75 lbs Max
    What chassis are you using?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im actually using a mk1 VW chassis minimal weight and I can create a low center of gravity so it should be fast and fun

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Im actually using a mk1 VW chassis minimal weight and I can create a low center of gravity so it should be fast and fun
    Very cool project bro. At first i thought a boosted ABF would be a better option since it weighs much less than M50 but for 450hp the engine should get built and that's gonna be pricey. Plus you have to build custom engine/transmission connectors but with M50 you just have to make custom mounts.

Keep us updated on your project. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh I will start a build thread as soon as I buy the engine and I can get started on Fab work

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

well if its going into a mk1 i really would look into a vr6 2.8L 12 valve motor you can get one for under 1,000$ at a junk yard you can make 600whp on headstuds and a head spacer. easy to make either rwd fwd or awd manny tranny options for this you can even make it rear mounted engine or in the front you can do rear mount rwd very easily

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

well if its going into a mk1 i really would look into a vr6 2.8L 12 valve motor you can get one for under 1,000$ at a junk yard you can make 600whp on headstuds and a head spacer. easy to make either rwd fwd or awd manny tranny options for this you can even make it rear mounted engine or in the front you can do rear mount rwd very easily
    I'd like to know more about whats written in red, and is there a VW section on this forum yet?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    I'd like to know more about whats written in red, and is there a VW section on this forum yet?
    If you look at the very top you will notice we have vwboost.com in the network.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I looked at the vr setup and also the VW fours but as with both of them they were made for a fwd so you have to buy a 600 dollar bell housing to adapt a trans for rwd where as I can use the BMW m50 which I have found one for 400 dollars and a getrag which I presently have and a Mega squirt or another stand alone engine management system I have alot of the componants for Mega already so it would be easiest. Make a few engine mounts and I have a fully installed m50 five speed. None of this was mentioned as rude either just explaining my elimination process in my head!