Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    even though my car has had the recall done, i would still like to replace the bearings with caoted ones. my recall was done 30,000km ago, car is at 59k kms now. I would love to get the VAC product if they would reply to my email soon.
    Send @Mike@VAC a pm.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Send @Mike@VAC a pm.
    I will right now.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm all for preemptive trikes on maintenance, but aren't we jumping the gun here? Wouldn't a simple oil analysis be able to determine if there is signs of excessive wear on the bearings? Curious me sitting here wondering with 135k miles, never tracked or abused engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    I hear that by going with the "coating" method that it adds layers on top of the already tight tolerance of the rod bearings. But then some argue that it doesn't have any ill effects. When the rod bearings are treated, supposedly they remain the same dimension and size.

Which is why I am curious to hear if there really are any difference. VAC Motorsports Coated Rod Bearings are noticeably cheaper than some of the treated options out there. Considering that this will be a pricey preventative maintenance, I'd like to save where I can but still have an optimal solution.
    The coating process requires a "film" application of approximately .0015" (fifteen/ten-thousandths of an inch), essentially, just enough to get "color" and then after air-drying (near immediate) and oven-curing (part @ 300*/1hr) the new surface has a slightly rough texture to it. This "texture" is carefully burnished with a very-fine Scotchbrite pad (I cut the pads the same width as the bearings & about 2" long). The material has then been brought back to the original surface of the bearing, but with the coating now being part of the molecular substrate.

I have compared coated & non-coated bearings using Plasti-guage and gotten the same clearance readings. If people are telling you that it reduces the clearance, they had improperly coated/treated bearings.

I don't proclaim myself to be an expert on the subject, but I've been doing the coatings since 1992 and have never had a problem with any of the engines I've built, or supplied polymer coated parts for, in the past twenty (>20) years.

These people are the experts, and you can get quite a bit of information off their website (their website can be a bit of a challenge to navigate, but their products are just fine__I use their "shop only" lines which are solvent-based; the general public gets water-based, though the heat-shielding for piston crowns is only supplied as water-based): http://techlinecoatings.com/hi-performance/default.htm

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    even though my car has had the recall done, i would still like to replace the bearings with caoted ones. my recall was done 30,000km ago, car is at 59k kms now. I would love to get the VAC product if they would reply to my email soon.
    They're not the only source...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RSM333 Click here to enlarge
    I'm all for preemptive trikes on maintenance, but aren't we jumping the gun here? Wouldn't a simple oil analysis be able to determine if there is signs of excessive wear on the bearings? Curious me sitting here wondering with 135k miles, never tracked or abused engine.
    You would expect so, but I sent in an oil sample to one of the popular analysis labs (hint: they keep a database of S-54 engine test results) and that particular sample came back with all normal findings__nothing alarming. When the bearings were changed (same visit as the oil sample was taken) I found several bearings with eroded surfaces__worn past the primary lead surface. I sent the pictures to the lab, but they stood by their results, only speculating that this damage had occurred early enough in the engine's life that subsequent oil changes had flushed out the trace metals. Now frankly, I find this hard to believe, as I know for a fact that at least a quart of oil is left in the oil pump and forward portion of the sump during each regular oil service, not to mention the oil left in the oil cooler matrix and supply/return lines.

My point is, unless you're the original owner and have been doing an oil analysis program since Day One, you really don't know the whole story of your engine. With any oil analysis program, what we watch for are the trends; a single report, unless very bad (high metals content) is virtually worthless. We want to see how the engine is wearing form one oil change to the next.

Just so you know, I have pulled two (2) samples from the same oil change several times and sent them to different labs for analysis (Titan Laboratories in Colorado, and Blackstone in Indiana) and recieved nearly idential results each time__I mean, we're talking about parts per million here, so one incremental difference either way is still "identical" in my book. I do that periodically just to keep them honest!

I offer the bearings (or any other part, for that matter) treated with polymer coatings (dry-film lubricant, thermal barrier and thermal dispersant) on a limited basis. If you can't get what you want somewhere else, contact me. You can contact me here or via my E-mail erandyforbes@aol.com to discuss this. My references are in the form of picture albums for each of the cars I've worked on the past seven plus (>7) years; the link is in my signature (at least 30,540 pictures at last count...)

Here's a link to an S-52 rebuild where EVERYTHING was polymer coated (Turner Motorsport is even using some of the images from this album in their online catalog__with permission): http://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/Tweety_Two

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    duplicated post...
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 10-13-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How about a teaser picture...?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    PM price for a set of coated S54 Rod bearings please.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Randy, thanks for the explanation Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Randy Forbes Click here to enlarge
    How about a teaser picture...?
    Randy, I think you offer quality contributions but I can't have you advertising parts and certainly not in vendors threads. I have edited your sig.

Now, I have refrained from putting you in a guest vendor limited posting group as a courtesy to you but if this courtesy is abused in ANY way, shape, or form you will be placed in the guest vendor group.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Randy Forbes Click here to enlarge
    Just so you know, I have pulled two (2) samples from the same oil change several times and sent them to different labs for analysis (Titan Laboratories in Colorado, and Blackstone in Indiana) and recieved nearly idential results each time__I mean, we're talking about parts per million here, so one incremental difference either way is still "identical" in my book. I do that periodically just to keep them honest!
    Randy,

We've gone even further in some situations, where we were looking to benchmark the lab. We would send with every sample set unused oil from the same container. So the samples would look like this:

- Unused oil
    - Used oil @ oil change (taken after new oil is put in)
    - Used oil @ mid-point
    - Used oil @ end of service life

All 4 of the above would be sent in only with sample #s...so there was no bias from the lab techs.

Obviously these engines have an oil sample port to do this efficiently....
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12