Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

What kind of power can the N54's drivetrain and internals withstand?

I've been wondering, what kind of power can the stock axles and drive shaft hold without issues? I was just reading onebadmofo's "for sale" thread, where he said his car is temporarily off the market until he gets new axles and a drive shaft. Got me thinking, can the N54's drivetrain withstand the power from RB turbos, or even Vishnu's single? Also, I'm still skeptical the N54's internals can even withstand the ~700hp from the single. As far as power goes, I'm tempted to just go get an Evo IX or X, considering you can make big numbers with a smaller price tag. Is it true that Shiv has blown some motors already? Wouldn't be surprised if he just kept that information on the down low.

Discuss! I would say "let's all be civil", but we aren't on E90post, so I don't think that will be necessary. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by EDM92; 09-03-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    Daily: 2007 Montego Blue E92 335i - Stock
    Weekend: 2008 Graffiti CBR 600RR - Two Brothers | CBR Heaven | Shogun | Motovation | Power Commander | Honda Racing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A few of us have gone thorugh axles, depends on driving style. I did not since i upgraded before hand. Driveshaft, never heard of that one for an N54 before. Trans, depends how you use it

@shiv@vishnu can elaborate, but there are concrete reasons why no AT information is given out as far as singles go.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If any of Shiv's single cars blew, I'm pretty sure he would be open about it just from a long-term business perspective. People wouldn't want to venture into that territory and take the risk. AFAIK, the N54's internals are fairly strong, and I would asume good until 700whp, but I am no expert by ANY means with all this
    Last edited by E90Company; 09-03-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Clarification

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    I'm pretty sure he would be open about it
    LOL,you obviously dont know the shiv like we do, he still hasnt admited to blowing the first N54 years ago near me, username "Maxboost" even when eye witnesses, myself included have seen the motor and talked to the owner, and the guy driving it at the time

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    LOL,you obviously dont know the shiv like we do, he still hasnt admited to blowing the first N54 years ago near me, username "Maxboost" even when eye witnesses, myself included have seen the motor and talked to the owner, and the guy driving it at the time
    Oh wow, I did not know that! Now that's $#@!ing shady.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know much more about the blown s/c motors on the S65 platform (Gintani, G-Power, ESS), but if Shiv blew an N54 (or N55 while we're at it) it wouldn't be the 1st time a vendor has done everything they can to keep skeletons hidden from the consumers
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Everyone has blown motors. Everyone.

Shiv has blown Evo's up as well. Nobody is immune, perfect, whatever, it isn't always the tuners fault either for mechanical failure.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Everyone has blown motors. Everyone.

Shiv has blown Evo's up as well. Nobody is immune, perfect, whatever, it isn't always the tuners fault either for mechanical failure.
    Of course, blowing motors is bound to happen. I'm just wondering how many N54s have blown from too much power (not from an incorrect tune). I bought some parts off a guy who told me he threw a rod with RBs. Obviously I can't confirm that, but I don't have any reason to believe he lied to me, considering he parted out his whole car all at once.
    Weekend: 2008 Graffiti CBR 600RR - Two Brothers | CBR Heaven | Shogun | Motovation | Power Commander | Honda Racing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EDM92 Click here to enlarge
    Of course, blowing motors is bound to happen. I'm just wondering how many N54s have blown from too much power (not from an incorrect tune). I bought some parts off a guy who told me he threw a rod with RBs. Obviously I can't confirm that, but I don't have any reason to believe he lied to me, considering he parted out his whole car all at once.
    I think if you want 600+ whp you should look into building it.

Are motors taking it? Yes, but the question becomes for how long. Plus some N54's have cast pieces it would appear. If you want to be safe build or simply tone the power down to a level where it won't be an issue.

Pay to play...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think if you want 600+ whp you should look into building it.

Are motors taking it? Yes, but the question becomes for how long. Plus some N54's have cast pieces it would appear. If you want to be safe build or simply tone the power down to a level where it won't be an issue.

Pay to play...
    My next power goal is 500whp, for whichever car I own at the time. I'm getting rid of my current N54 because I want a 6MT sedan with an oil cooler for my next one. Just wondering if my 500whp goal would be more reliable on the Evo or the BMW. But this discussion is just about the N54, so let's stick to that.

How can you find out if you have cast or forged internals without tearing open the motor? Are there certain build dates that do, and certain build dates that don't?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How can you find out if you have cast or forged internals without tearing open the motor?
    I don't think you can at this point.

My next power goal is 500whp, for whichever car I own at the time. I'm getting rid of my current N54 because I want a 6MT sedan with an oil cooler for my next one. Just wondering if my 500whp goal would be more reliable on the Evo or the BMW. But this discussion is just about the N54, so let's stick to that.
    The N54 will be fine at 500 whp. If you want to mod for big HP the EVO is a cheaper platform to do it with but you will have considerably more lag. The throttle will be an on/off switch with that little motor. But... they can make big power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought Evo's are not exactly all that reliable either. Rebuilding the block is a leap I just wouldn't want to take. In the wrong hands, so much can go wrong...out of spec tolerances, poor machining resulting in poor compression etc etc. If not done right the first time, there goes your savings on a "cheaper" platform.
    500 whp isn't really all that much considering all the people on RBs and meth. I personally would stick with the BMW.
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    none came with forged

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    none came with forged
    Well, that sucks... Would have been nice. I saw that Shiv posted somewhere a LONG time ago about one motor he had containing forged internals.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    none came with forged
    I thought there were conflicting reports on this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    none came with forged
    Here we go again....I'm not saying they (at least the 07) are but do you have any proof none aren't? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by orange Click here to enlarge
    Here we go again....I'm not saying they (at least the 07) are but do you have any proof none aren't? Click here to enlarge
    do you have proof some are? because noone has shown us forged internals

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have my money on 730wheel going bye bye
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The key to keeping a motor around for a long time is keeping the tune and power conservative. An N54 with upgraded turbo(s) should be able to be DD'd with 500 whp on pump gas and a conservative tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    The key to keeping a motor around for a long time is keeping the tune and power conservative. An N54 with upgraded turbo(s) should be able to be DD'd with 500 whp on pump gas and a conservative tune.
    Exactly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was thinking the same thing. I think as long as I'm not launching the car all the time, I should be okay. I do drive like a grandma most of the time. However, my car is currently slammed so I'm forced haha. My next car will definitely not be slammed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Axles should be ok on street tires. I really think the weak point is the auto trans. Upped turbos plus an auto just don't mix. Going to need to be beefed up to really take advantage of the torque.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Axles should be ok on street tires. I really think the weak point is the auto trans. Upped turbos plus an auto just don't mix. Going to need to be beefed up to really take advantage of the torque.
    No kidding, just read the thread "E85+ RB Turbos = WIN" and there's lots of talk about the auto tranny not holding up. I'm getting out of my AT ASAP, 6MT here I come. Or 5MT Evo haha. Time will tell. Definitely leaning toward another N54. I don't feel like learning all about a new platform when I know a decent amount about this one!

By the way, how did you feel about PRS? I was there when they tuned E90SoFlo's car. Pretty decent results. They definitely charge a premium, but I hear they're the best around.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No kidding, just read the thread "E85+ RB Turbos = WIN" and there's lots of talk about the auto tranny not holding up. I'm getting out of my AT ASAP, 6MT here I come. Or 5MT Evo haha. Time will tell. Definitely leaning toward another N54. I don't feel like learning all about a new platform when I know a decent amount about this one!

By the way, how did you feel about PRS? I was there when they tuned E90SoFlo's car. Pretty decent results. They definitely charge a premium, but I hear they're the best around.
    I am extremely disappointed with my experience with them. The shop was great, people were friendly, tuner knew a lot about tuning theory but didn't know a lot about tuning the N54 specifically using Cobb software. The tuner said he would continue to provide updates and map changes via email but hasn't responded to my multiple requests. I don't recommend that you go there, unless you want to pay $475 for an ots stages 2 aggressive map with some beefed up timing. If they were smart, they would lock the tuner in the shop for a day with some blow, a 335 and let him figure $#@! out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am extremely disappointed with my experience with them. The shop was great, people were friendly, tuner knew a lot about tuning theory but didn't know a lot about tuning the N54 specifically using Cobb software. The tuner said he would continue to provide updates and map changes via email but hasn't responded to my multiple requests. I don't recommend that you go there, unless you want to pay $475 for an ots stages 2 aggressive map with some beefed up timing. If they were smart, they would lock the tuner in the shop for a day with some blow, a 335 and let him figure $#@! out.
    You're talking about Precision Sport?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast