Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Two BMW dealers cannot reflash over GIAC. Cannot install Cobb either. Suggestions ?

Hi,

Here my stupid story which I didn't expect.

I bought a Cobb in order to get a little more power over my current GIAC Stage 2 through custom maps, more boost, RB turbos, etc. Went to the dealer (in fact two of them, just to be sure) in order to reflash the stock flash over the GIAC flash. Although the ISTA/P logs show that the reflash was successfully done (not even a single error), the GIAC tune is still there, I can still change maps, car is boosting 16+ psi, basically nothing is changed from before. Basically I can't get rid of it. One of the dealer even selected the "ECU replacement" option from their software to make sure everything gets written again. No luck.

Of course, GIAC support said it's not their fault.

Next step, I tried installing Cobb over GIAC. "ROM not supported" message. My Cobb-reported ROM type is 0044CC0IJE0STFC5S, although the Bavarian Technic tool reports 0044CC0IGD0S. I tried to read my (GIAC flashed) ECU ROM with Cobb, but after the Cobb staying stuck at 0% for like 20 minutes, it said OK but the flash ROM file is only 156 bytes long, so I suppose it is not valid. Probably a GIAC read protection or something. I submitted it to Cobb anyway.

Cobb support is dog slow (like 1 obvious reply every 3 days, I posted my ticket about 7 days ago), they aren't really helpful. I was hoping that they could send me some beta firmware that includes my ECU ROM support so I could try to flash it over GIAC myself, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

So all in all, I have the option to send my ECU back to GIAC (another $300 spent on shipping) for them to (try) to flash my stock file over GIAC (they have a backup of a stock file of mine from like 2 years ago.

I also wonder if maybe one pin of the ECU connectors is not properly seated (I will take a look) and this prevents the reflash, but is this possible without the BMW software giving any error, and with the car running perfectly ?

So, any more things that I could try ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Strange, when I ran giac the dealer flashed over my tune twice. I didn't tell them it was there though, are you sure they tried flashing it or are they " choosing" not to flash over it.

Also, pick up the phone and call Cobb, their support is pretty quick.

Sounds like sending it back to giac is your only option.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Was gonna say, if a BMW dealer can't flash over the GIAC tune, it's unlikely that the COBB will flash over it. Sucks that you have to ship your ECU out to GIAC, but they should reimburse you for the frustration (especially if you selected the "ECU replacement" option to avoid this headache)
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Ok,

You are now experiencing what I've been through for over 1 year. Constant problems when trying to flash the ECU with something different. Here is my advise to you:

1. Forget about the Bavarian Technik reporting different ECU version. They have a bug in their software. I've worked with them to resolve this for 3 months in a row and they still can't get it right. Every time the ECU firmware is reflashed or upgraded, the program ID which is the same as the ECU ID on it changes. The ECU stores the last 16 program IDs in its memory in a reversed stack order. The BAVTOOL reads the very first program ID which is the oldest. It does not go down the stack to fetch the correct ECU ID. You can verify this by using INPA which will display the correct ECU id. So don't loose sleep over this.

2. You need to get to a GIAC dealer and have them to reflash stage 0 flash on your car. I know you have Stage 2 + the switcher, but trust me on this. GIAC stage 1 and higher have a lock on the ECU which sometimes causes problems when reflashing later. Just pay them a nominal fee for the labor and have then flash you with GIAC Stage 0.

3. Install your Cobb normally and enjoy.

Good luck.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    I also wonder if maybe one pin of the ECU connectors is not properly seated (I will take a look) and this prevents the reflash, but is this possible without the BMW software giving any error, and with the car running perfectly ?
    Don't worry about that.
    If one of the DME connectors is not making contact all hell will break loose on your car and dash/gauges/warning lights christmas tree gallore, or the car will simply not run correctly if at all.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm honestly amazed the dealers can't flash over it. Sometimes they just do it accidentally so I don't get it.

Vasillalov seems to have the answer to this though.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale