Close

View Poll Results: What do you think of Alpina?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alpina cars are special, you just don't get it.

10 41.67%
  • Alpina is for people buying a badge who don't know BMW tuning, waste of money

9 37.50%
  • I don't care

5 20.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Are Alpina BMW's worth the money? Are they special?

I was having an interesting chat with some guys on Twitter who seem to revere Alpina for who knows what reason. I told them, the B5 and B7 are nothing more than overpriced base BMW's with a body kit and mild tune.

The Alpina B3 would get stomped on by a 335 with a JB3. The Alpina B5 will be eaten alive by the new M5 or even a tuned 550i, which is all the B5 is. So what is so special? They seem to think they are rare, I don't think so. What is so rare about a modded 5 series or 7 series? You see them all the time.

I mean, the same people who think Dinan is special will think Alpina is special. Makes no sense to me, why buy a B7 when you can get a 760 for the same money? Why buy a B5 when you can just tune a 550i or upgrade the turbos? Thoughts?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Warranty?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    Warranty?
    I suppose that is the one thing you get.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

alpina's arent worth it considering what you get for the $$$
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
    alpina's arent worth it considering what you get for the $$$
    That is how I feel. I know some people just want a package with warranty but I can't help but feel I could do so much more in the aftermarket getting a nice tune on a 550i and some HRE's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree, I wouldn't buy one, but I can see how they are attractive to a certain crowd. Not everyone wants to mod a car and do all that, some just like to drive em "stock", in which case an Alpina is pretty bad ass when compared to it's non Alpina version.

I would not complain about having an new Alpine White Alpina B5!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSpiredM3 Click here to enlarge
    I agree, I wouldn't buy one, but I can see how they are attractive to a certain crowd. Not everyone wants to mod a car and do all that, some just like to drive em "stock", in which case an Alpina is pretty bad ass when compared to it's non Alpina version.

I would not complain about having an new Alpine White Alpina B5!
    I can definitely understand the crowd that gets them as well, but they aren't really our crowd it seems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My dad has an F01 B7. It turns heads and it was still a good $20K less than a 760. It's a unique car and while the performance boost is really nice, it's more about just owning an exclusive car. A 760 may turn heads, but I can tell from personal experience that the B7 will stop people in their tracks, especially in Alpina Blue.

My dad won't be taking it to a track to test out its 500 HP/ 516 lb/ft. torque, but I think it suits him better than a 760 or a stock 750. How much more performance does the 760 have? .1 of a second faster to 60? I'm sure that V12 is nice, but I really think the looks of the Alpina kit plus the performance makes it a better buy when compared to a 760.

Now, if we're talking versus the stock 750, well, what has been done to the car is not worth the extra $40K in parts, but it certainly makes it exclusive and for those with the money, it may be a better trade off, again, versus the 760.

FYI, my dad let me put about 200 miles on the thing in a few days and I know how many heads turned and what this car is...kinda..capable of. Didn't wanna push it during the break-in period.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by smacky Click here to enlarge
    My dad has an F01 B7. It turns heads and it was still a good $20K less than a 760. It's a unique car and while the performance boost is really nice, it's more about just owning an exclusive car. A 760 may turn heads, but I can tell from personal experience that the B7 will stop people in their tracks, especially in Alpina Blue.

My dad won't be taking it to a track to test out its 500 HP/ 516 lb/ft. torque, but I think it suits him better than a 760 or a stock 750. How much more performance does the 760 have? .1 of a second faster to 60? I'm sure that V12 is nice, but I really think the looks of the Alpina kit plus the performance makes it a better buy when compared to a 760.

Now, if we're talking versus the stock 750, well, what has been done to the car is not worth the extra $40K in parts, but it certainly makes it exclusive and for those with the money, it may be a better trade off, again, versus the 760.

FYI, my dad let me put about 200 miles on the thing in a few days and I know how many heads turned and what this car is...kinda..capable of. Didn't wanna push it during the break-in period.
    A lot of guys will be like your father and just want a beautiful car out of the box. The B7 is no doubt just as quick as the 760.

However, I look at it as the 760 has a ton of untapped potential with a twin turbo V12 just sitting there, begging for more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    It uses diesel, right? A turbo diesel engine, instead of gas engine, would be enough for me to get it over any other 7 series...

BMW ALPINA B7 returns for the USA market F01-generation
    Submitted by admin on January 14, 2010 – 12:02 amNo Comment

Click here to enlarge
    I am a huge fan of the BMW 7 Series. I have previsouly owned the E38 and E65 models and am I am looking to pick up a new Twin Turbo F01 sometime next year. Check out the release of the new Alpina B7 Sedan below.

Click here to enlarge
    BMW of North America announced today that the 2011 BMW ALPINA B7 sedan will join BMW’s North American product range as the most dynamic 7 Series model. The BMW ALPINA B7 represents the second generation of ALPINA automobiles based on the BMW 7 Series to be offered in the US. The first BMW ALPINA B7 was offered as a limited edition for the 2007 and 2008 model years. Newly interpreted and based on the current BMW 7 Series platform, the B7 will again set the benchmark in terms of performance, refinement, technology, luxury and exclusivity.

Click here to enlarge
    Yielding exquisite levels of power and torque from the twin-turbocharged 4.4 liter V8, and in conjunction with the electronically-adjustable suspension with active roll stabilization, the new B7 promises to offer a spectrum of driving experiences so broad as to be unheard of in this class of automobiles. The evolution of the traditional 20-spoke 21” ALPINA CLASSIC wheels underline the fresh design language found throughout the B7 and impart it a distinctive appearance and powerful stance.

Click here to enlarge
    Both short- and long-wheelbase models will be offered. The BMW ALPINA B7 will make its North American premiere at the 2010 Chicago Auto Show in February, and go on sale at authorized BMW Centers in Spring of 2010. Pricing will be announced closer to the on-sale date.

The B7 is the newest manifestation of the unique BMW-ALPINA synergy – once again based on the BMW 7 Series luxury sedan. Currently, BMW offers ultra-performance models of its 3, 5, 6, X5 and X6 Series developed by BMW M, BMW’s own performance subsidiary. For an ultra-performance version of the 7 Series – a vehicle defined by luxury and generous interior space – something other than “M” performance character was called for.

In recent models, ALPINA has concentrated on delivering very high levels of performance with moderate rpm ranges and automatic transmission. Most appropriately, the new BMW ALPINA B7 applies this philosophy to the newest 7 Series to produce a luxury sedan of stunning performance. “A 7 Series Beyond,” one might say.

Powertrain
    The B7 sedan is equipped with BMW’s twin-turbocharged 4.4 liter, all-aluminum, High Precision Direct Injection V-8 engine which has been enhanced by ALPINA and is capable of producing 500 (373kW) horsepower and 516 lb-ft (700Nm) of torque. This rear-wheel drive performance/luxury Sedan achieves 0-60 mph in 4.5 sec. With maximum torque available across an unusually broad engine range, from 3,000 to 4,750 rpm, the B7 accelerates effortlessly from virtually any speed.

The two turbochargers operate in parallel, with generously-dimensioned turbine vanes measuring 44mm in diameter. Thorough exploitation of the engine’s potential was achieved by means of optimizing the indirect intercooler (air-water/water-air) with its short intake paths and flow-optimized intercooler tracts. All three intercoolers, the low-temperature intercooler integrated into the radiator package, as well as the two near-engine intercoolers are enlarged by approximately 35%, ensuring very high thermodynamic efficiency. High-performance pistons have been specified to withstand the thermodynamic forces created by a 9.2:1 compression and a maximum turbo boost of 1.0 bar. The result is a formidable specific output of 115hp (85kW) per liter, with a maximum average compression of 20.1 bar, a benchmark even amongst established sports cars.
    This wide power band coupled with the six-speed sport automatic transmission gives the driver remarkably high levels of power and capability in every driving situation. The ALPINA SWITCH-TRONIC transmission control offers tailored shift characteristics for every driver and situation thanks to its Sport and Manual modes. To manually select the gears of the automatic transmission, the driver may use buttons found on the back of the ALPINA-tailored steering wheel. This results in shifts which take place in a few hundred milliseconds with minimal power interruption.
    Ending in two polished double-tailpipes, the stainless-steel ALPINA exhaust system offers up that deep and sonorous yet not intrusive V8 sound that enthusiasts have come to expect from ALPINA.

Chassis & Suspension

The BMW ALPINA B7 builds on the state-of-the-art adaptive suspension technologies of the 7 Series, including tuned Dynamic Damping Control and Active Roll Stabilization, to the demanding requirements of a high performance sedan. Long gone are the days when a purely “hard and sporty” ride was a sought-after attribute of suspension set-ups. Striving for truly neutral handling continues to be the goal, yielding the best of what is technologically feasible. In pursuit of this goal, shorter and uniquely calibrated springs reduce front and rear ride height by 15mm and 10mm respectively. Dynamic Damping Control and Active Roll Stabilization enable the driver to select from three distinct suspension set-ups: Comfort, Normal and Sport. These are intentionally calibrated to provide noticeably different set-ups, influencing the characteristic of the dampers, the Active Roll Stabilization as well as the parameters of the power steering assist, throttle response algorithms and load-reversal damping. The Sport-Plus mode automatically shifts the Dynamic Stability Control system into Dynamic Traction Control (DTC). This allows noticeably more slip at the driven wheels and delayed intervention by the traction control system.

Together with the 21” wheel and tire combination, the suspension is at once sensitive to inputs and direct in its feel, yet free from the harshness of a purely sports-oriented suspension. The light-weight 21” wheels, with their new interpretation of the ALPINA CLASSIC wheel design, are shod with a specially selected staggered MICHELIN PS2 tire set-up: 245/35 R21 front and 285/30 R21 rear.
    The result is that the BMW ALPINA B7 captures an agility associated with much smaller sedans, while preserving the ride quality associated with the BMW 7 Series.

Design

The B7 sedan is finished with ALPINA aerodynamic developments, including front and rear spoilers which not only enhance the appearance but also improve stability and performance at high speeds. In true “form-follows-function” fashion, the ALPINA front integrates the fresh-air requirements of the transmission and engine oil coolers, which are separated out of the main cooler module for improved efficiency. The spoilers reduce lift at the front by 30% and rear by15%. The exhaust system’s two double tailpipes are seamlessly integrated into the rear bumper. The newest evolution of the traditional 20-spoke ALPINA CLASSIC wheels gives the B7 a distinctive appearance and powerful stance.

The interior of the B7 sedan features ALPINA blue illuminated door sill trims, the SWITCH-TRONIC steering wheel in hand-stitched LAVALINA leather, and the Black-Panel LCD screen instrument cluster branded with ALPINA. Exclusive interior luxury wood trim in the form of Myrtle Burl, a knotted burl of the Laurel only found on the Pacific Coast of the United States, provides a warm and traditional ambience. Optional ALPINA Piano Lacquer interior trim with its silver diagonal rhombs, offers a modern alternative.

The full complement of BMW 7 Series exterior colors remains available, in addition to the signature ALPINA Blue metallic paint.

Discreet metal ALPINA emblems adorn the upper seatbacks of the standard leather Comfort seats and are inlayed in the wood trim. An additional ALPINA plaque indentifying the car is mounted on the inner roof panel just ahead of the sunroof. Even the engine bay carries a subtle signature by tidily presenting itself with a newly-designed ALPINA engine cover.

Check out the video of the B7 below

Last edited by GT3; 07-09-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    A lot of guys will be like your father and just want a beautiful car out of the box. The B7 is no doubt just as quick as the 760.

However, I look at it as the 760 has a ton of untapped potential with a twin turbo V12 just sitting there, begging for more.
    Yeah, I can see that. But like I mentioned, he won't be taking it to a track, he doesn't wanna be out there keeping up with Porsches. He just wants a car that looks "different" and is "exclusive." The added performance gained by tuning the N63 engine is just an extra. I think a remedy to this solution is that BMW makes an M7. Whether it's "unorthodox" is irrelevant at this point since BMW makes cars with AWD, makes SUVs, and has even made M versions of said SUVs. The tranny on the B7, I think I remember reading, is faster than a DCT. It was in one of the write-ups I have read in the past week. That shocked me. So we don't need to keep up with the tradition of having an M car with SMG/DCT or even a manual. We're at a point now that a 7 series is just as good in M-form as any other M. In other words, it's not "stupid" as one may have thought before.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GT3 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    It uses diesel, right? A turbo diesel engine, instead of gas engine, would be enough for me to get it over any other 7 series...

No, it's gas. Diesel Alpinas are denoted by the "D" moniker, like the "D3 Biturbo." There is the 740d, right?

Actually, I just checked and it turns out it hasn't been announced for US yet. WHAT??!!! I swear I remember reading about it in the US. I guess it was just the 740i that was the addition to the lineup that shocked me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Yeah, I can see that. But like I mentioned, he won't be taking it to a track, he doesn't wanna be out there keeping up with Porsches. He just wants a car that looks "different" and is "exclusive." The added performance gained by tuning the N63 engine is just an extra. I think a remedy to this solution is that BMW makes an M7. Whether it's "unorthodox" is irrelevant at this point since BMW makes cars with AWD, makes SUVs, and has even made M versions of said SUVs. The tranny on the B7, I think I remember reading, is faster than a DCT. It was in one of the write-ups I have read in the past week. That shocked me. So we don't need to keep up with the tradition of having an M car with SMG/DCT or even a manual. We're at a point now that a 7 series is just as good in M-form as any other M. In other words, it's not "stupid" as one may have thought before.

No, it's gas. Diesel Alpinas are denoted by the "D" moniker, like the "D3 Biturbo." There is the 740d, right?

Actually, I just checked and it turns out it hasn't been announced for US yet. WHAT??!!! I swear I remember reading about it in the US. I guess it was just the 740i that was the addition to the lineup that shocked me.
    It is impossible for the tranny to outshift the DCT as it just isn't a physical possibility. I'm sure it is quick, but wherever you read that it is wrong.

I agree with you, an M7 is necessary: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...sidering-an-M7

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is impossible for the tranny to outshift the DCT as it just isn't a physical possibility. I'm sure it is quick, but wherever you read that it is wrong.

I agree with you, an M7 is necessary: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...sidering-an-M7

You're right. I read the article very quickly.

"Shifts happen in just 190 milliseconds, which is quick even for a dual-clutch gearbox."

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/29/2...-drive-review/

I guess I read that as "which is quicker than a dual-clutch." My bad. I'm still a n00b when it comes to higher-end cars, so from my experience driving the B7, it just seemed fast as $#@!.

Good thing is, this thing is ....30 ms away from shifting like an Enzo..which is a bit antiquated. But again, this is an automatic doing this, so...

But as I sifted through the SMG wiki, I saw the numbers for the DSG...8 ms? That's what those Porsches and some VWs use, right? I gotta hear what that sounds like. Off to YouTube.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

You're right. I read the article very quickly.

"Shifts happen in just 190 milliseconds, which is quick even for a dual-clutch gearbox."

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/29/2...-drive-review/

I guess I read that as "which is quicker than a dual-clutch." My bad. I'm still a n00b when it comes to higher-end cars, so from my experience driving the B7, it just seemed fast as $#@!.

Good thing is, this thing is ....30 ms away from shifting like an Enzo..which is a bit antiquated. But again, this is an automatic doing this, so...

But as I sifted through the SMG wiki, I saw the numbers for the DSG...8 ms? That's what those Porsches and some VWs use, right? I gotta hear what that sounds like. Off to YouTube.
    No problem, 190 ms is very fast and on the higher end of speed for autos.

Yep, 8 ms, insane shift speed. It is basically to the point where it is instantaneous and any further speed increase will be very difficult to achieve due to limits on just how quick a mechanical part can move.

Think of it this way, it shifts 30 times faster than you blink your eye.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, these are for VW/Porsche and their affiliate brands. What's the fastest BMW transmission shifting at? I also just realized the new and the old B7 share the same transmission. A spokesperson for Alpina said the newer ones couldn't handle what they had to throw at it. Which begs the question, why does the new B5 have it? And according to this http://wot.motortrend.com/6668132/tu...gap/index.html it has a 10ms quicker shift, it's lighter and has the same TT V8 yet us .2 seconds slower to 60?

I guess we have nothing to gauge the 7 series with (no M7) but looking at the B5, it looks like $#@!. A sport sedan should not look like that. There's a good enough argument to wait for the M5 instead of getting the B5, but with an executive sedan like the B7, I think the looks are just fine. I may be biased, though. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Well, these are for VW/Porsche and their affiliate brands. What's the fastest BMW transmission shifting at? I also just realized the new and the old B7 share the same transmission. A spokesperson for Alpina said the newer ones couldn't handle what they had to throw at it. Which begs the question, why does the new B5 have it? And according to this http://wot.motortrend.com/6668132/tu...gap/index.html it has a 10ms quicker shift, it's lighter and has the same TT V8 yet us .2 seconds slower to 60?

I guess we have nothing to gauge the 7 series with (no M7) but looking at the B5, it looks like $#@!. A sport sedan should not look like that. There's a good enough argument to wait for the M5 instead of getting the B5, but with an executive sedan like the B7, I think the looks are just fine. I may be biased, though. Click here to enlarge
    There are no official numbers but the DCT's all work the same way. There were some numbers for the Getrag DCT thrown out at 4 ms.

Alpina just gave it that trans to lower costs I bet. The 8 speed handles the X5 M5 and X6 M's torque as well as the B5's so obviously their explanation is BS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are no official numbers but the DCT's all work the same way. There were some numbers for the Getrag DCT thrown at at 4 ms.

Alpina just gave it that trans to lower costs I bet. The 8 speed handles the X5 M5 and X6 M's torque as well as the B5's so obviously their explanation is BS.
    I didn't know that. Must have been a cost thing. Or R&D thing. They may not have been so sure on the threshold this early but they may make a switch in a year or two or for the LCI model of the B7. Who knows?

I check the N63 section often, but it doesn't seem like a TON of progress has been made on just a tune for the engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I didn't know that. Must have been a cost thing. Or R&D thing. They may not have been so sure on the threshold this early but they may make a switch in a year or two or for the LCI model of the B7. Who knows?

I check the N63 section often, but it doesn't seem like a TON of progress has been made on just a tune for the engine.
    Yep, there is a lot more to come, the ball is just getting rolling. OE Tuning does have a tune already though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

I think i was reading something that the alpina335/n54 whatever they are calling it, has upgraded turbo's along with other things no doubt, but the turbo portion itself im am curious about. Anyone have any info?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    I think i was reading something that the alpina335/n54 whatever they are calling it, has upgraded turbo's along with other things no doubt, but the turbo portion itself im am curious about. Anyone have any info?
    The Alpina B3 you mean.

I looked for info on if the turbos were upgraded and couldn't find anything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

ill look again, i just read it earlier this week, ill do some researching

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think they just upped the boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I think Alpina just ups the boost and some other tweaks to their cars. I dunno if they have their own turbos they put in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'd like to get my hands on one of those B3 biturbo models. When you buy an Alpina, IMO you're not buying it for the extra power, or added features, but youre buying it because you want a rare, exclusive car that you dont see everyday. I live in South Florida and there are alot of nice cars down here I see everyday (Ferrari, Lambo, etc.)
    , but you dont see too many Alpinas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

I just re-red, and apparantly it was the intake runners to the turbo's that are larger.. stilll very interesting to me.. anyone know where to find info on that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast