Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

ESS VT2-600 on EAS Dyno

I enjoy keeping up with EAS' YouTube channel and all the great dyno videos that they post. Today, this particular video kind of caught my eye considering that it's an ESS' boosted E92 on a dyno where a lot of the impressive VFE' boosted E9X M3's have been dyno'd.

It has often been speculated that EAS' DynoJet may be a bit optimistic. In this specific case, the peak numbers seem to line up very appropriately with the other few VT2-600 and aftermarket XPipe/Exhaust dynos I've seen, which is great. Based off a very rough estimate calculation of what this specific E92 is putting down at the flywheel, equates to nearly 650hp! Considering that this car has a Dinan XPipe and Muffler, it is very probable that this car is making a considerable amount more power compared to if it had the stock exhaust.

The following video and dynograph is property of European Auto Source. For pictorial sake, I decided to take a screen shot of the YouTube video when it showed the following dyno graph.

Click here to enlarge
    I thought I'd share since there are a handful of forum members here who have ESS kits. It's always great to see what other cars with similar modifications are putting down on different dynos, as well as, keeping eye on competition Click here to enlarge

Enjoy!
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Good post.

The numbers look about right and what they should be.

What makes you scratch your head is the claims that 600+ whp was hit with this kit. Clearly, that isn't the case.

The EAS dyno does seem to read high wish we had the baseline before the blower.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I was expecting more power from the dyno... That 600HP rating is wrong even at the crank it seems
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Good post thanks! This gives me an expectations of what I can expect.

I just bought a 2013 e92 M3...and I bought the ESS VT2 600 today. And I have an Akrapovic slip on muffler with an MRF catless mid pipe and meth. And I will be doing all my dyno's at EAS.

First, I will get an NA baseline, and then I will be installing the supercharger and dyno'ing again. I expect around 345 stock and 510 with the ESS kit. I will then have the catless mid-pipe, muffler and meth kit installed and will expect between 530 and 540 without meth, and around 550 with meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by longboarder Click here to enlarge
    First, I will get an NA baseline, and then I will be installing the supercharger and dyno'ing again.
    That's how to do it, looking forward to your results.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

they didnt dyno it in SAE?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    they didnt dyno it in SAE?
    As long as it's STD or SAE it is fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Good post.

The numbers look about right and what they should be.

What makes you scratch your head is the claims that 600+ whp was hit with this kit. Clearly, that isn't the case.

The EAS dyno does seem to read high wish we had the baseline before the blower.
    Yeah, I always wondered about some of those dynos that were near 600whp. I do know that they were definitely at the least, 93 Octane, but I can't imagine it making that much of a difference. For a better comparison though, the highest I've personally seen, other than this one, for 91 Octane, VT2-600, XPipe/Exhaust, and STD was this:

527whp and 337wtq was the VT2-600 run.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by longboarder Click here to enlarge
    Good post thanks! This gives me an expectations of what I can expect.

I just bought a 2013 e92 M3...and I bought the ESS VT2 600 today. And I have an Akrapovic slip on muffler with an MRF catless mid pipe and meth. And I will be doing all my dyno's at EAS.

First, I will get an NA baseline, and then I will be installing the supercharger and dyno'ing again. I expect around 345 stock and 510 with the ESS kit. I will then have the catless mid-pipe, muffler and meth kit installed and will expect between 530 and 540 without meth, and around 550 with meth.
    Now that is how data collection is done! Thanks for doing all that and definitely keep us posted. Congrats on making the big purchase.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    I do know that they were definitely at the least, 93 Octane, but I can't imagine it making that much of a difference.
    Of course not, far more to it. Pulleys, tunes, etc. You can hit 600 whp just not setup as advertised.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Of course not, far more to it. Pulleys, tunes, etc. You can hit 600 whp just not setup as advertised.
    Yes very true! I used to wonder about the inconsistencies of their dynos in the past. This why I truly appreciate people doing their own dyno testing and are completely 100% candid with everything they run, including if they got a special tune or not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Yes very true! I used to wonder about the inconsistencies of their dynos in the past. This why I truly appreciate people doing their own dyno testing and are completely 100% candid with everything they run, including if they got a special tune or not.
    Very difficult to sort through the BS as they always want to act like their stuff is the most powerful or fastest for some reason. Inconsistency is putting it mildly...

Regardless, this is an accurate dyno and what one should realistically expect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

EAS made a thread on some other forums, with great photos as always. I like how they posted SAE, STD, and Conditions! Great information!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by eas Click here to enlarge
    European Auto Source (EAS) is an ESS Premier Southern California dealer, and would like to welcome ESS Tuning to our supercharger lineup.

Maintenance is important and Zach is a long time customer of ours with his previous 335. Recently getting into a pre-owned ESS VT2-600 Supercharged M3, he brought his "new" M3 over to us for a quick component go-over and baseline dyno. Vehicle is equipped with Dinan X-Pipe and Mufflers, dyno was performed during a recent heat wave (104F inside the shop).

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Once the OK was given and all components were inspected/thoroughly checked, we noticed the pump for the intercooler was not running. A quick inspection turned out to be simply a burnt fuse and Zach was on his way.

SAE
    Click here to enlarge

STD
    Click here to enlarge

Conditions
    Click here to enlarge

Needless to say, the results were very impressive.

Video
    eas | Matte Black BMW E92 M3 ESS VT2-600 Supercharger & Dinan Exhaust Dyno - YouTube

For those on Southern California area, if you see a Matte Black M3 coming up quickly in your rearview mirror - be sure to pull over to the right and let him pass.
    Regardless, this is an accurate dyno and what one should realistically expect.
    Agreed! They're great numbers too!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

EAS made a thread on some other forums, with great photos as always. I like how they posted SAE, STD, and Conditions! Great information!

Agreed! They're great numbers too!
    This all looks spot on. Glad they posted it with the various corrections.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

We have tested air to water intercooler systems time and time again and they failed miserably in Miami weather. After the first run heat soak would set in creating a totally different looking curve than that of the first run. There is a reason why we went with a front mount design. Real driving conditions will show the heat soak much more than a dyno will.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    There is a reason why we went with a front mount design.
    Well it's cheaper isn't it?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    We have tested air to water intercooler systems time and time again and they failed miserably in Miami weather. After the first run heat soak would set in creating a totally different looking curve than that of the first run.
    It is true once heated up it takes more energy to cool it down. That said, for higher horsepower applications won't a water/air be able to cool more effectively prior to the point of heat soak than an air-air?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Real driving conditions will show the heat soak much more than a dyno will.
    Why? With more air moving in the real world it will show more heat soak than stationary runs with less airflow?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

From my experience air to water intercoolers are very efficient at lower speeds (dynos), and a large air-air core with large amounts of air flowing through it usually more efficient at higher speeds. Air- water intercoolers are great for drag racing but I believe air-air is better for road courses and a daily beating.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Why? With more air moving in the real world it will show more heat soak than stationary runs with less airflow?
    Of course with a water pump it would be more effective but once you start moving the efficiency of a air to air will take over.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Of course with a water pump it would be more effective but once you start moving the efficiency of a air to air will take over.
    But water is more effective at moving heat than air so how exactly does the air to air become more efficient when moving?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

From my experience air to water intercoolers are very efficient at lower speeds (dynos), and a large air-air core with large amounts of air flowing through it usually more efficient at higher speeds. Air- water intercoolers are great for drag racing but I believe air-air is better for road courses and a daily beating.
    I think it depends on the application but the physical properties of air and water definitely put water in the lead for heat management. I mean, Porsches are watercooled these days aren't they? Air can only bring computers for example down so low in temp but then watercooling takes over for people serious about heat management, right?

I understand your point but up until the point where the water gets very hot the water-air will be more efficient as it simply has to be according to physics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

An air to water intercooler if designed CORRECTLY, will always, always, always outperform an air to air intercooler. Sure if the water is hot, then that is bad for the air right? Well that means water reservoirs radiator was not properly designed. Water has a heat rejection rate in the thousands of times better than air. The reason they get bad press is because they arent designed correctly, a properly designed water/air IC can reject much more heat.

Now a poorly designed system, either can be crappier than the other.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

It would come down to design, size of the core/displacement and flow rate. Our customer in dubai has confirmed our earlier test results against his buddies.

Some Back to back 3rd party ait's would be interesting to see. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

there we go, thats what i expected in SAE, 520 ish. right where it should be. stock M3's dyno 350 at EAS right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    stock M3's dyno 350 at EAS right?
    Around there, ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast