Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
    For money. And yes, there is pride that comes with owning an M car, but anyone who knows enough to even care than you have a M car will know the differences.
    i think thats exactly the point, now for cheap you get your M car, and it will be just as much M as the other M (the one someone should recognize as the "real" M), M is M. (there is no RM like at audi the RS)
    The reason for this is that M wont mean any kind of performance M-division involvement any more, but just the the idea of owning an M....

Finally its just like in "The incredibles" when when elastigirl tells flash "we are all special" an he replies "well thats just as much worth, as if no one would be".
    And M is becoming exactly that, normal, for everyone with no meaning performance wise. But a big seller.
    And you can be sure that the one who buys the pseudo M will be very sure about the fact, that he owns a real M car just as much as an M3 is. "hey, but my suspension comes from M (yeah right!), and all this m badges, and ist lover then the normal non M, and M performance is written on my motor". He want care the fact that his M never was at bmw M division even only for 1 minute, and his motor just got a low software tune (if it even got one!). And you will be the stupid who sends 20000 $ more to bmw for an M model just like the other one, as (as you pointed it), very few people will get the difference any more.
    A difference that before everyone(!), even the non enthusiasts, could get just looking at the name of the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TRES Click here to enlarge
    so should i feel special i have one of the last IS model line lol
    +1, and mine's a stick with no moonroof. Click here to enlarge
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    M was long before than "is" so if we care about heritage, the M is more welcome.
    Depends on how much time you mean by "long". The original E30 M3 and 325is aren't separated by much. If you're going back to the M1 then I agree, but I think the M1 is so far out of the league of any of the great M cars that have come since that it's not appropriate to consider it in the same family.

I have the M sport package on my E92 is, and to be honest I don't like all the M badging on it. But I did want the suspension, body kit and steering wheel upgrades. Yes, this makes it easier for posers to stand by their cars or get panties to drop, but the people who really know are going to know who has the goods. I don't care for the watering down of the heritage, but let's be real - many people that buy the M3 do so because it's the most expensive 3 series, rather than for its performance potential. With all future M cars having snails and the M3 becoming the M4, does it really matter anymore?
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It hurts my feelings that BMW will put M badges on non-M cars, lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Does M550dx looks like a regular 5-Series? Or does the butt ugly M135 looks like a stock 1-Series? They have styling changes over the basic models. As for the suspension, Both M135i and M550dx has M tuned suspension. The M550dx has a completely new hydraulic assisted steering compared to the 550i or 535d.
    The M550 is a diesel M model. That's fine. It isn't just a rebadged car with no changes. Big difference...

If a 335is has M touches on it, then why it doesn't deserve to have that M in it's name? You make it sound like M335i/335is is just a regular 335i. And the fact is it isn't.
    What are the M touches exactly? It's an "is" model.

No that was the 745i. The M745i was a 7-Series with M88 and an automatic gearbox and everything else was shared with lesser 735i/745i models.
    I think there is more than one but whatever they made a unique vehicle for South Africa they didn't just rebadge what they already had.

Good then. I think M-X sounds better than X-is. M was long before than "is" so if we care about heritage, the M is more welcome.
    The BMW naming system existed before M. Why throw it away now?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GTR-Dad Click here to enlarge
    Sticky, I feel your pain. But I just don't care enough to shed a tear.
    My M5, on a tight techncial track, just reeled in a list of cars that would be embarassed to listed here. (911 turbo, C6 Vette, G35 etc. oops - sorry!) M5, not M sport 5, or M dynamics 5.1, or Special M. At the end of the day the car that is more capable, balanced, and - well - fun is the one I want to be driving. And that's a real M car.
    As long as they don't quite making real M cars, I don't care if they call them M's. In fact, it makes the M5 that much more of a stealthmobile.
    I hate airlines for milking the business traveller who needs to be a specific place at a specific time, but I still don't drive across the country to spite them. I fly.
    I think that is great and your M5 is a real M car, isn't it?

They won't quit making real M cars but now M is on everything.

The airline analogy isn't the same thing.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Onetime Click here to enlarge
    It hurts my feelings that BMW will put M badges on non-M cars, lol
    Hah, good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cisi Click here to enlarge
    i think thats exactly the point, now for cheap you get your M car, and it will be just as much M as the other M (the one someone should recognize as the "real" M), M is M. (there is no RM like at audi the RS)
    The reason for this is that M wont mean any kind of performance M-division involvement any more, but just the the idea of owning an M....
    EXACTLY.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cisi Click here to enlarge
    A difference that before everyone(!), even the non enthusiasts, could get just looking at the name of the car.
    THIS. And when you saw an M model, it was special. It was more rare. It was... well, the idea dead now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

This (M badging like Audi did S-line, and Merc doing their AMG packages on standard cars) is sad. But worse is the upcoming FWD BMW's. That is unaceptable...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Its annoying, but not enough to care about. I dont see why they would choose to do it, as for a younger crowd, the M was something to strive for, a goal, a gift for yourself.. in my case anyway.. So it kept me wanting to stay in a BMW

lets try to put in into perspective though.

Lets say the e9x platform was the first no "is" and now "M" cars...

a 328M pulls up, full body kit, parks, He feels like the MAN!
    a 335M pulls up next to him, same body work, but better interior, better motor, and the 328M guy knows it..

Now, the real M3 rolls in and parks next to both.. same situation.

Regardless of what the others are called, if its not an M, then its not an M and anyone that cares, knows the difference.

The only thing different badging will do, is boost the ego of the people that are around people that arent into cars..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    The only thing different badging will do, is boost the ego of the people that are around people that arent into cars..
    And devalue the badge, heritage, and it spits on their history.

Everyone having an M car sucks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

Everyone having an M car sucks.
    but they wont, they will have an M-badged car..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It will only devalue the M badge in the mind of people who have their ego tied to a certain model of a car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Yep, even worse.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

It will only devalue the M badge in the mind of people who have their ego tied to a certain model of a car.
    When does flooding the market with something increase the value of said something?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    +1......

I used to care about this but realized that if them whoring out the ///M brand allows them to offer more focused variants of true ///M cars, like what is rumored to be happening on the next generation ///M3, then I'm ok with it.

I can understand not wanting to confuse people with all the different badges of performance levels, and that is what having the iS badge does, the ///M badge is worth more. I get it. I really do. Just as long as they don't dumb down the true ///M cars.....let the badge whores buy ///M-Performance cars and let them think they have an ///M. Everybody wins: the whore gets what he wants, the M-GmbH enengineers get what they want (less involvement from marketing) and the enthusiasts get what they want (a more focused ///M car).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e46e92love Click here to enlarge
    Everybody wins: the whore gets what he wants, the M-GmbH enengineers get what they want (less involvement from marketing) and the enthusiasts get what they want (a more focused ///M car).
    But the major loss is to the meaning of M, the value of the brand image that has been built over DECADES of incredible/exclusive work, and to the core enthusiast who took pride in having an M car. I just can't say I feel the same about the M brand when the principles it was built on have been sold.

Are we all at least in agreement that this is a shameless money grab? I mean where does it stop? This is a luxury automaker that claims to build the Ultimate Driving Machine not a pimp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I sent Autoblog this tip and they didn't credit me: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/26/b...rmance-models/

I'm getting frustrated. I keep sending them tips they use but get no credit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

the next m3 better be a $#@!ing amazing car.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

, the M-GmbH enengineers get what they want (less involvement from marketing) and the enthusiasts get what they want (a more focused ///M car).
    this is an interesting take on it. Let the Mline exist for bull$#@! like the current X6M, and allow the real M cars to return to their more performance oriented heritage. I can see how this might be a positive, even if it is at the expense of the overall M prestige.

And it's not just BMW pulling this crap. AMG has appeared on the G-wagen for many years, and Porsche has put the GTS badge on the Cayenne and Panamera. M335i seems much less of a sin than the X5/6M.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    And it's not just BMW pulling this crap. AMG has appeared on the G-wagen for many years, and Porsche has put the GTS badge on the Cayenne and Panamera.
    The GTS badge is a bridge between Turbo and S models it isn't the highest end brand moniker Porsche offers.

AMG for years put the badge on everything and the AMG motors in everything. BMW M didn't. Well, now they do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When does flooding the market with something increase the value of said something?
    they are not flooding the market, they are renaming.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

they are not flooding the market, they are renaming.
    So this doesn't increase the amount of M badged cars on the market how?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

+1......

I used to care about this but realized that if them whoring out the ///M brand allows them to offer more focused variants of true ///M cars, like what is rumored to be happening on the next generation ///M3, then I'm ok with it.

I can understand not wanting to confuse people with all the different badges of performance levels, and that is what having the iS badge does, the ///M badge is worth more. I get it. I really do. Just as long as they don't dumb down the true ///M cars.....let the badge whores buy ///M-Performance cars and let them think they have an ///M. Everybody wins: the whore gets what he wants, the M-GmbH enengineers get what they want (less involvement from marketing) and the enthusiasts get what they want (a more focused ///M car).
    I agree with this. There are many people that buy m3's bc of the badge, and could careless about anything else. That's why heavy options like nav, sunroofs, heated seats, etc exist and also why the m3 has (in some people's eyes) been softened with each generation. If this allows the ///m department to make more focused cars, go for it!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So this doesn't increase the amount of M badged cars on the market how?
    Correct, it creates more M badges but not more M cars. M cars will always have value.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast