Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Question Tranny Flush.....your thoughts?

I've done some research and the verdict seems to be hung on flushing a 6MT tranny with slightly higher mileage.

The dealer says not to do it if it hasn't been previously done (lower mileage) and just keep running it, but conventional wisdom/lessons learned says it needs to be flushed.

I'm at 58K and am looking for advice from other 335 owners who have been in this same boat.

Let me know your thoughts on this....

Thanks
    Click here to enlarge
    '07 E90 335i AW 6MT Sport & Comfort Pkgs
    MODS: |COBB AP | CP-e | ER | Forge | DCI | KW V1 | M3 Sways | BBS CH | M3 Body Parts| MTech | CF Wrap Trim

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

According to two BMW techs I know, it's not necessary. I don't know from personal experience, though.
    Daily: 2007 Montego Blue E92 335i - Stock
    Weekend: 2008 Graffiti CBR 600RR - Two Brothers | CBR Heaven | Shogun | Motovation | Power Commander | Honda Racing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdaddycane Click here to enlarge
    I've done some research and the verdict seems to be hung on flushing a 6MT tranny with slightly higher mileage.

The dealer says not to do it if it hasn't been previously done (lower mileage) and just keep running it, but conventional wisdom/lessons learned says it needs to be flushed.

I'm at 58K and am looking for advice from other 335 owners who have been in this same boat.

Thanks
    I changed my 6MT fluid out to GM synchromesh when i had my clutch installed, aprox 36k miles. I've been driving it for about a month now, car shifts noticeably smoother.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdaddycane Click here to enlarge

Thanks
    Not to get too hung up on semantics, but you wouldn't really "flush" the 6MT. That would probably just be a drain & refill scenario. Not that it would be impossible with the right equipment, just not practical or even worthwile.

On a 6AT, you could either flush or do a drain/refill only.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Oh, and I would definitely consider it. I don't believe in "lifetime" fluid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Oh, and I would definitely consider it. I don't believe in "lifetime" fluid.
    Same. Lifetime fluid is just a manufacturers way of saying we can get away with not changing it through the warranty period.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

sorry, I meant drain and re-fill. Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.
    Click here to enlarge
    '07 E90 335i AW 6MT Sport & Comfort Pkgs
    MODS: |COBB AP | CP-e | ER | Forge | DCI | KW V1 | M3 Sways | BBS CH | M3 Body Parts| MTech | CF Wrap Trim

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I have to drain and refill my trans fluid soon too sean. "lifetime fluid" i see as the same nonsense as "15k mile oil changes"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Hell yes your tranny fluid needs changed. It should be changed at the 1200 mile break in and at least every 30,000 miles after that. That is if you're planning on keeping your car for a while.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

If you change it prior to 100K, doesn't that void your transmission warranty?
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750 / MHD+JB4 / ADV / SB REAR O2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    If you change it prior to 100K, doesn't that void your transmission warranty?
    It should protect it but BMW claims "lifetime" fluids for some transmissions. They would have to prove your fluid somehow messed things up. I've never heard of more frequent trans fluid changes hurting it.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale