Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

7:36 lap time in Nurburgring

The car has new tires, wheels, suspension, exhaust and racing seats. Stock otherwise. Almost 30 seconds faster than the 8:05 done by a professional driver.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the info Sorena. Tires and suspension bits do wonders on a track, especially if a lap is as long as it is at Nurburgring. Exhaust is a minimal gain on an N/A car and the seats were for safety over performance I would think. Still, 30 seconds is a very nice gain. Nice find.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very Nice Lap.
    This guy knows his way around the Ring.
    Probably during dinnertime or a rented BMW trackday, very quiet and mostly Beamers on track. Not normal Touristfahren.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the info Sorena. Tires and suspension bits do wonders on a track, especially if a lap is as long as it is at Nurburgring. Exhaust is a minimal gain on an N/A car and the seats were for safety over performance I would think. Still, 30 seconds is a very nice gain. Nice find.
    I permit to quote the driver of this lap, from another forum:

The "official" 8:05 is the time measured by Sport Auto.

Now it get's a little bit complicated. During normal public times we don't drive the full lap including the "Doettinger Hoehe" straight.
    That's the long straight where I enter at the beginning of the video and finish the lap.
    So we measure bridge to bridge as there's a bridge at the beginning and the end.

The full straight is about 24sec.

2nd thing is that Sport Auto doesn't measure the "T13" part of the track as during industrial testing on the track they use this part for entering and exit so there's a speed limit - that's why Sport Auto just completely leaves it away. This part is about 8sec long which I'm driving during public times.

So to get a rough comparison. 7:36 + 24sec @Doettinger Hoehe = 8:00 - 8sec for T13 = 7:53min "Sport Auto Time".
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmmm, then it's a LOT less interesting than what it seemed before. Sorry guys for a unimpressive video.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge

Now it get's a little bit complicated. During normal public times we don't drive the full lap including the "Doettinger Hoehe" straight.
    That's the long straight where I enter at the beginning of the video and finish the lap.
    So we measure bridge to bridge as there's a bridge at the beginning and the end.

2nd thing is that Sport Auto doesn't measure the "T13" part of the track as during industrial testing on the track they use this part for entering and exit so there's a speed limit - that's why Sport Auto just completely leaves it away. This part is about 8sec long which I'm driving during public times.

So to get a rough comparison. 7:36 + 24sec @Doettinger Hoehe = 8:00 - 8sec for T13 = 7:53min "Sport Auto Time".
    Interesting. Seems you are way on top of this one Click here to enlarge 12 seconds from tires suspension and driver sound way more reasonable and expected with a 7-8 min lap.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Very Nice Lap.
    This guy knows his way around the Ring.
    Probably during dinnertime or a rented BMW trackday, very quiet and mostly Beamers on track. Not normal Touristfahren.
    Actually it was done during the Touristenfahrten in the late afternoon weekdays. Awesome driving for sure!
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Hmmm, then it's a LOT less interesting than what it seemed before. Sorry guys for a unimpressive video.
    lol, you mad?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting. Seems you are way on top of this one Click here to enlarge 12 seconds from tires suspension and driver sound way more reasonable and expected with a 7-8 min lap.
    Yes the driver really knows his way around the Ring. Although this kind of stuff is always a bit ambigious to me : during Touristenfahrten there are always slow/unexperienced drivers on the track (see the speed difference between the M3 and some cars he is overtaking). That makes for some scary moments for the slower drivers too (ask me how I know Click here to enlarge ).

Additionnally there are many blind corners on the Ring. At this speed, you really have not much margin to avoid an unexpected obstacle. Now imagine someone spins/breaks down just after a fast corner and you get there at >150km/h... At best the car is totaled but chances are you'll make it into the local newspapers...

So all my respect for the driver, but I'd keep the hunt for laptimes for closed trackdays.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

This is complicated. So how do we know what times use the full lap and which ones don't?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The only mods are suspension and tires?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Touristenfahrten
    What is this? Heh, sounds out like Tourist farting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What is this? Heh, sounds out like Tourist farting.
    lol

"Tourist driving" would be the translation. Basically, anyone (even tourists Click here to enlarge ) can book a lap, as long as the car is street legal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There are a few more goodies on the car: roll cage, race seats, GT4 rear wing and front lip... and then some probably Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    according to the OP:
    The car has new tires, wheels, suspension, exhaust and racing seats
    so Sticky, i discounted the variables that made little difference. one could argue the racing seat made a difference... that less driver movement = more control, and the small weight savings. you also could argue about the wheels, less rotational mass if it's a racing wheel. you even could argue about the exhaust... more weight savings and a few hp... but what really matter are the suspension and the tires, oh and of course the driver!
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^Agreed. The tires do the biggest part, after that comes suspension in second. Slick tires shave a good amount of time of your lap time on the ring.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^Agreed. The tires do the biggest part, after that comes suspension in second. Slick tires shave a good amount of time of your lap time on the ring.
    +1 Tires and suspension will affect lap time alot. Slick tires aren't allowed on the Ring though, as the car has to be street legal. Tires used were 265/35-18 Michelin Pilot Cups all around on 9,5x18 stock BMW wheels.

But I wouldn't underestimate the seats + harness. Besides the safety factor, at these levels you need a good seat which will hold you very tight. If your body is sliding everywhere due to the high G-forces, you'll lose more time than you would expect. Especially on a track like the Ring with high-speed corners and elevation changes. Simply because you are less in control of the car.

Light wheels will definitely impact handling too. I even felt a big difference right away when I switched from stock brakes to the BBK which shaved off a couple kgs unsuspended masses on every corner.

The car seems to have a stripped interior, at least the rear. Weight savings are always welcome.

In the end, it's the complete package which results in such a great time, driver included.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So this isn't a real 7:36? I'm confused now. And Sport Auto's times aren't accurate either?

I have no idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So this isn't a real 7:36? I'm confused now.

It isn't while it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ALSDJFLAKSDJFLASD this is confusing as $#@!.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So this isn't a real 7:36? I'm confused now. And Sport Auto's times aren't accurate either?

I have no idea.
    lol

It's a real 7:36 "bridge-to-gate" time: the benchmark for all amateur ring drivers. Since the main straight is not open during tourist driving, all times are taken between these landmarks on the track.

SportAuto times are great to compare the cars they've tested. It's just not an universal standard. Nor is it the best ever reachable time: a pro race- or testdriver could probably shave a few seconds off, but that's not the purpose of these tests.

Not really confusing, is it? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm still confused.

So the GTS M3 time should be quicker than what Sport Auto hit?

Why isn't there 1 standard? Why doesn't Sport Auto do it the way others do?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Autobahn335i is this a full lap?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So, what about the times that aren't done by sport auto? Like Viper ACR time that is done by Dodge team or the ZR-1 time?

One thing is for sure, when i was in the Ring, the stuff didn't look this much complicated. Germans always make things complicated.

EDIT: I spotted double posting. Two post #23 is here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    EDIT: I spotted double posting. Two post #23 is here.
    Nope, no double post. The auto thread updater will sometimes show dupes that aren't really there. No way to have two of the same number.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast