Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

New BMW questions

Hello!

My friend has a (2000, S52) engine in his BMW. I am trying to help him with his car, may I ask questions here?

for starters, what happened in year 2000 that the 99-01 "S52" option seems obscured? It seems like something changed right in that year, something about the north american engine not getting an iron block, I would love to clarify if his block is aluminum with sleeves or what.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If he has a 2000 model with an S52 engine he has an M roadster or coupe then?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It is a coupe, I am told. 2000 coupe S52 Inline six. Iron? Aluminum?

Instead of using the 3.2 litre version of the S50, North American models used a 3152 cc version of the M52, called the S52B32. This engine is closely based on the iron-block USA-spec M52 engine.
    Sounds like iron? So no sleeves?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He is running a tuned OEM ecu with a 60-1. I want to help him get it straight with a Haltech or some other decent aftermarket ecu. I am just learning a little about the engine's potential. From What I read so far, the rods are the weakest link, we would expect to hit 400-450rwhp max on the oem longblock. My curiosity about the block itself stems from curiosity of the ultimate potential of the engine. After I saw the 900WHP S52 I must assume, iron block, aluminum head, and a very stout structure similar to a 2jz perhaps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

All M50 family engines use iron block engines except M52 euro which has aluminum block. The only Z3 in US that got M52 euro was Z3 2.8i and that engine had sleeves. So nothing to worry, the car has a mighty iron block Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kingtal0n Click here to enlarge
    400-450rwhp max on the oem longblock
    More than that if you add a thicker headgasket.
    Last edited by Sorena; 08-16-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

He is running a tuned OEM ecu with a 60-1. I want to help him get it straight with a Haltech or some other decent aftermarket ecu. I am just learning a little about the engine's potential. From What I read so far, the rods are the weakest link, we would expect to hit 400-450rwhp max on the oem longblock. My curiosity about the block itself stems from curiosity of the ultimate potential of the engine. After I saw the 900WHP S52 I must assume, iron block, aluminum head, and a very stout structure similar to a 2jz perhaps.
    Correct. Tuning, and hardware are King when it comes to making 900whp. It sounds like ur friend most likely has either a Nick G turbo kit or a AA turbo kit. With the 60-1 some have made as high as 450-60whp using meth. If ur friend has a .140mls head gasket, and a better turbo he can make 500-550whp. I wouldn't go with a haltech ecu. Its not worth it. If he wants to make big power on obd2 have him contact Nick G, TRM, Technica Tuning, or CES motorsports. If he wants to go with a stand alone have him contact Max Psi for a DTA stand alone pnp setup. Go with whats proven. Most times when people end up trying the newest or different things on these cars you will have massive down times, and little or no use of the car. Which leads to much weeping.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Correct. Tuning, and hardware are King when it comes to making 900whp. It sounds like ur friend most likely has either a Nick G turbo kit or a AA turbo kit. With the 60-1 some have made as high as 450-60whp using meth. If ur friend has a .140mls head gasket, and a better turbo he can make 500-550whp. I wouldn't go with a haltech ecu. Its not worth it. If he wants to make big power on obd2 have him contact Nick G, TRM, Technica Tuning, or CES motorsports. If he wants to go with a stand alone have him contact Max Psi for a DTA stand alone pnp setup. Go with whats proven. Most times when people end up trying the newest or different things on these cars you will have massive down times, and little or no use of the car. Which leads to much weeping.
    That is exactly what I came here! Use what works and do not reinvent the wheel! I will pass this info on, thank you!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That is exactly what I came here! Use what works and do not reinvent the wheel! I will pass this info on, thank you!
    Anytime. Good Luck
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge