Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Injector LPFP fuel regulator all of the above?

This is my first post here and of course its related to some lovely struggles. I've spent sometime trying to figure out an ongoing and what now seems to be a progressing issue. Started out with a persistent 29F3 (fuelcode, which I ignored at the time as my car was running quite well.

Fast forward a monthish or so. I started to experience 29DC (fuel injector cutoff) codes at WOT occasionally, usually in second gear for what its worth. 29F3 still present.

Recently the cutoffs have become more prevalent and yesterday I received finally received a misfire code in cylinder 4 on a cold start. The misfires are not present after 30 seconds or so. Additionally I found myself receiving 2C7F (bank 2 post cat lean) codes occasionally when sitting at a light and the car would idle very rough and almost stall.

My thoughts are that it is either a leaky injector(s), a shot low pressure fuel regulator and or shot LPFP.

Coil packs and plugs were replaced a few months ago.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

are you out of warranty?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

yep.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Reading this over it seems I had some silly typos.. 29F3 is a low pressure fuel regulator code though I'm sure anyone who chimes in will already know that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Do you have the ability to log some info channels? Are you running a tune? We need to see requested and actual low and high side fuel pressure to help narrow things down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I can certainly log. Some of these events are tough to isolate in my logs. At the very least I can pull the 29DC while logging and misfiring on cold start, but the rough idle at a stoplight causing 2C7F may or may not show. Will log and post after work.

It does look like the AFRs are fine until a second or so before the 2C7F hits. They appear to jump from 14.7 and stick at 20 when this happens.

Car is FBO no meth with a JB4. I've run strong E85/93 mixes for a while and all was well till a month or so ago when my logs started to show fuel trims looked like they were maxing out at WOT. Changed some settings to compensate, which were working well till now. Just seems like a part(s) are worn and need to be replaced.

Other info: Car is on its original HPFP/LPFP and injectors. Called BMW NA and they said my VIN didn't show up for the injector recall even though I have a 4/07 build. I mentioned in my original post that my coil packs/spark plugs were replaced a few thousand miles ago and oil was changed a few weeks ago. Valve cleaning was done 10k miles ago though I'm planning to have it done again next weekend. 59xxx miles on it right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ssharma Click here to enlarge
    Reading this over it seems I had some silly typos.. 29F3 is a low pressure fuel regulator code though I'm sure anyone who chimes in will already know that.
    *low pressure fuel sensor*.. i'm just going to confuse people at this point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

I've never owned a JB4 so im not sure what data channels you can log, but i would want to see what the low pressure fuel sensor was reporting during these issues. The low pressure fuel sensor seems to be a common cause for alot similar issues. @Dfv2 ran into some issues while trying to run 100% E85 that appear to be related to either the low pressure sensor or low pressure fuel pump. Can you log low and high fuel pressures with JB4?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I don't believe i have the ability to log low vs high pressure. Will let you know if I find otherwise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ssharma Click here to enlarge
    I don't believe i have the ability to log low vs high pressure. Will let you know if I find otherwise.
    yeah I lied I had to change a setting allowing me to log low pressure over an existing paramater. did a couple logs.. one showing my idle and a few showing low pressure during warm up period and a few WOT pulls. Heard the injector cut off once, but no code and no power loss after (I let off the second I heard the bang). Will log a few more after work and post it all up. Will try to capture the idling event as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

I would just change the fuel pressure sensor first. Its cheap enough....injectors however are another story.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

I do have a feeling its one of your injectors going though. With the miles accumulated on them, I would just take the hit and change all 6 and start fresh.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I hear ya.. I'm thinking the same unfortunately Click here to enlarge Currently, I plan on doing the same unless the logs reveal something else.. Fuel Sensor then injectors/LPFP... Ideally the fuel sensor is my fix... Sadly I have a hunch thats not the case...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

29F3 is for the LP sensor, under the manifold, fuel pipe leading right up to the back of the HPFP. Have a customer with a bad sensor, it's stuck at 6.5bar. That car's code reads specifically 29F3 Fuel Pressure Sensor, short circuit to positive. Another forum user just changed his, the sensor read up to 7.x bar. The low pressure system should always run at 5.0bar. It has a mechanical pressure regulator inside the fuel tank on the driver's side. Typically if the LPFP were bad, it would be less than 5.0 bar. If the LP fuel pressure regulator failed, pressure would also be too low.

If you can see your LP fuel pressure sensor data, it should not be over 4.5VDC or over 5.5 bar. The sensor is cheap, but you will probably have to lift (if not remove) the intake manifold.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

not sure how to attach csv files.. this is a pull when i felt the injector cut off but received no code. avgign is the parameter showing low pressure and fuel p is high pressure. the csv shows the low pressure stuck at 3.5 the whole way through.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge
    would have been helpful to add fuelp as a parameter...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My sensor went bad a few months ago, no other codes (besides the sensor), but the idle would fluctuate on start up, jump up to 1500 or so, then settle down to normal. New sensor fixed the idle. If your idle is fluctuating, it's probably the sensor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

29F3 is for sure low pressure sensor/ electrical. I had this code forever and eventually lead to this

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-your-opinions

Its not hard to change out but its a PITA as you have to take out the intake/ chargepipe/ throttle body and then the intake manifold to gain access to the LP sensor which you use a 13/16 open end wrench

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    29F3 is for sure low pressure sensor/ electrical. I had this code forever and eventually lead to this

Its not hard to change out but its a PITA as you have to take out the intake/ chargepipe/ throttle body and then the intake manifold to gain access to the LP sensor which you use a 13/16 open end wrench
    Read through your thread several times and am hoping this is all my issue is. A lot of the symptoms seem similar so I guess we'll see..

Swapped coil packs 3 and 4 for the heck of it. Did a cold start, but this time didn't receive any misfiring codes.. I would expect the misfire to stay in cylinder 4 or switch to 3 if it were coil pack related. Instead I received a 2D5A code - Control motor torque limitation.. oye..

I'll change out the sensor either this or next weekend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

INPA can also test your LPFP (y)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

yep i don't have the cable yet unfortunately.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    INPA can also test your LPFP (y)
    How does it test LPFP? I'd like to help out someone local with it, think he's got a weak LPFP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I tried to run it, though it seems like a long test and I got impatient. From what I could hear and see on the INPA interface, it runs the LPFP at various applied voltages and is probably validating the expected LP value at the sensor. I'm not sure how it works exactly but I imagine thats what it is doing. Using James's explanation above on expected LP values, I'm sure you could deduce whether its the sensor or the pump quite easy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    How does it test LPFP? I'd like to help out someone local with it, think he's got a weak LPFP
    Check Cn555ic's thread below for a visual of the output. Second picture of the first post. I believe I've read what what Tzu mentioned in the past, however, I've never actually used INPA. It makes sense that it would compare sensor values to requested voltage values as a data integrity check.. After that and deeper into the logic yo no se.

Take my comment with a grain of salt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If you do decide to change the sensor, might as well clean your valves as well. I had this code a long time ago and they replaced my injectors as well. Another idea is to double check your injectors have been coded properly. Vasillalov made a tutorial on the other forum.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750 / MHD+JB4 / ADV / SB REAR O2

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast