Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Red Brake Light and Red Car on Lift Light

Like the title states, the read brake light and red car on lift light just turned on today when I started my car this morning. I looked at all the brake pads and they seem to have lots of life still in them. Do you guys have any idea what the problem can be or how to reset this light? I've googled and tried to reset the light, but still could not get it to turn off.

Car: 2007 E92 335i

Last edited by justohigh; 08-11-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    That means the brake pad sensors went out...There is usually quite a bit of life in the pads even once the sensors go off...BMW purposely does it early bc almost everything they do is overengineered/overkill...Maybe a money grab for brake pads/sensors from the dealer who knows?

The only way to get rid of the light is to replace the sensor with a new one (~$21) and then clear it in the dash options...or splice the old worn sensor and then reset
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Brake sensors. You can easily reset it (if you know someone with the proper BMW tool) The light will indicate it again after ~100 cycles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Do you have to have a special tool or can you reset it in dash?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have had this same issue abt once a year. And sometimes I can reset it with the BT tool and sometimes not, Not sure why. It's not the sensor, the first time I had this issue was a week after I had the rear pads replaced by the dealer.

When you look at the service menu in the dash computer does it just give dashes ------?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I had the dashes you speak of and my wrench was able to clear/reset it. Happens about once a year also.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

It might be a warning that comes up that is brake related. If the pads are fine its a warning that the brake fluid needs to get changed. I think the spec is every second year it has to get flushed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Pads still have a good amount left in them and the fluid was changed last year about 10k miles ago when I bought the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bavtec tool in the conditioned based service area, you should be able to bump out the service interval and help the light go out.
    Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (DO12/Aquamist Flow Sensor), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nope doesn't work on the latest software.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Brake Pad Sensor --- Had the same thing happen to me. Car went in for service, completely fine on the ride home, next morning I wake up the same lights were on. Took the car right back to the dealer, rear-right sensor got damaged when they replaced my rear brakes.

Replaced the sensor, lights went away
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Moved to 3 Series E9X.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I reverted to an older BavTech version 1.8.5.1 and it worked just fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Interesting. I just replaced my lines on the M3 with stainless (great upgrade btw) - and I just got this warning. I am pretty sure the pads are fine, but the warning is for the rear pads, and they are hard to see without taking the wheel off. I am guessing this is the same issue - just replace the sensor, and all will be well?