Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

JB4 large turbo flash mapping

Hey guys,

Just as an update we are working on developing a backend flash map for use with the JB4 for those of you running larger turbos or nitrous. Like the RB turbos I have sitting around waiting to get installed. For those of you expecting to make more than ~475rw the JB4+flash approach will offer some key advantages over the JB4 alone.

A few random comments:

1) We've shifted the fuel control, including open loop adjustment, over to the flash side. This means improved AFR targeting at high boost levels and a higher fuel trim ceiling without the need for open loop adjustment. This change sets the JB4 up to accommodate power levels up to the 600rw level and beyond.

2) We've remapped advance out on the flash side producing an overall cleaner and more predicable result than CPS offsetting can.

3) The flash maps being tested now are fairly simple but we expect many more changes to follow as we get more seat time with 500rw+ vehicles.

4) These changes will allow the JB4 to focus on what it does best for higher HP cars. Boost control, CANbus integration, meth integration, safety features, etc.

5) Note none of this applies to customers targeting less than ~475rw. For you, the JB4 on top of the OEM flash is still the best way to go.

6) We'll provide the flash maps free of charge to JB4 owners. They will be unlocked so you can open them and make fine tuning changes to advance, etc, as you see fit. For those unfamiliar with how this works you'll need to have a Cobb AP tied to the car to load the maps.

Here is a short 3->4 log I did using 91 octane + boost juice. Open loop is zeroed out on this so I can view the true fuel trims. But this gives you an idea of the basic curves. Currently advance is around 10 degrees at peak HP and AFR is 12.0:1 across the board. Once we get the RBs installed much more extensive testing and tuning will follow but I expect this advance and AFR curve will wind up providing a good match for 19-20psi levels with meth on pump gas. Note those of you running stock turbos + meth at say 17psi would find likely this curve overly conservative.

If anyone has large turbos installed, a JB4, and has access to Cobb, feel free to email me to help test these maps out. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

Awesome work. Why kind of power do you think could made using stock twins and nitrous? I would like to shoot for over 600whp but I think the factory twins are just too much of a restriction at that point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Awesome work. Why kind of power do you think could made using stock twins and nitrous? I would like to shoot for over 600whp but I think the factory twins are just too much of a restriction at that point.
    Back in the day we had little issue pushing 530rw at moderate boost levels with a .35 jet. But back pressure is the real enemy here. More nitrous less boost would probably help a bit. I'd say that 550rw is the reasonable limit although these days it would be much safer than two (?) years ago when we first tried it. But that 550rw would be part of a very fat power band that would have no issue running deep 10s with a 1.6x 60' time.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Great! Can help testing on tds turbos.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

What power level can we expect from this setup on 93oct pump gas?
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm just waiting for the Cobb AP to arrive, then I'll be throwing you logs right and left....Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | ÷hlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | Trueform Tech Intake System | Tial BOV | Motiv PI Stage 1 w/AIC | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Bah sold my Cobb last week as I hadn't really used it much. I guess having a slipping clutch wouldn't have let me do the appropriate logs anyway Click here to enlarge
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    Bah sold my Cobb last week as I hadn't really used it much. I guess having a slipping clutch wouldn't have let me do the appropriate logs anyway Click here to enlarge
    Why aren't you addressing your clutch?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why aren't you addressing your clutch?
    I'm ordering it this week but I'll receive it in 1-2 weeks due to shippings and customs and then I need to find a Sunday to do it as I'm working 6 days atm. I've dropped the boost down so I've not noticed it during my daily driving.

Going for a HPF stage 2 this time, no point going for the cheaper options IMO.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    Going for a HPF stage 2 this time, no point going for the cheaper options IMO.
    Do it once, do it right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Back in the day we had little issue pushing 530rw at moderate boost levels with a .35 jet. But back pressure is the real enemy here. More nitrous less boost would probably help a bit. I'd say that 550rw is the reasonable limit although these days it would be much safer than two (?) years ago when we first tried it. But that 550rw would be part of a very fat power band that would have no issue running deep 10s with a 1.6x 60' time.
    Interesting. Im seriously considering doing a 75 shot with a very robust progressive controller. Too bad they dont sell that octane series unit from NX anymore, it was tits. Boost would definately have to taper alot up top to relieve some back pressure, just not sure how much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)

The JB4 does a fine job of running the nitrous. There is user adjustable criteria and the nitrous only turns on when AFR is stable, timing is stable, boost over a certain level, engine speed between an RPM window, etc. For a 75 shot you're looking at maybe a .28 jet which is fairly tiny. So I don't see much need for true PWM progressive nitrous control with this platform. Although the G5 output we use for nitrous is a high current PWM so we could run a solenoid at say 10hz if we wanted with it.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

The JB4 does a fine job of running the nitrous. There is user adjustable criteria and the nitrous only turns on when AFR is stable, timing is stable, boost over a certain level, engine speed between an RPM window, etc. For a 75 shot you're looking at maybe a .28 jet which is fairly tiny. So I don't see much need for true PWM progressive nitrous control with this platform. Although the G5 output we use for nitrous is a high current PWM so we could run a solenoid at say 10hz if we wanted with it.
    Sounds like i found my progressive controller. If i decide to procede with the n20, ill definately be hitting you up for some advice/a Jb4. Thanks Terry.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

T, I'm leaning toward the NO2 right now. I already have a G5 board. I'm not sure what HP I would make with a .32 jet but that's what I plan on running. I'm currently around 440 with my current setup, do you think I should run the flash for fueling or am I probably still under the 475HP threshold? I've never ran NO2 before so not sure what the gain would be with a .32 jet over my 440HP. I want to make sure I do everything I have to, to run NO2 safely but I also don't want to take $750 out of my upped turbo fund if I don't have to either.
    09 e92 335i, 440HP/500TQ: SOLD
    03 EVO 8, 600HP/500TQ: SOLD
    99 Eclipse GSX 609HP/517TQ: SOLD
    13 Nissan Maxima: Need to break lease so I can buy another BMW!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    T, I'm leaning toward the NO2 right now. I already have a G5 board. I'm not sure what HP I would make with a .32 jet but that's what I plan on running. I'm currently around 440 with my current setup, do you think I should run the flash for fueling or am I probably still under the 475HP threshold? I've never ran NO2 before so not sure what the gain would be with a .32 jet over my 440HP. I want to make sure I do everything I have to, to run NO2 safely but I also don't want to take $750 out of my upped turbo fund if I don't have to either.
    With nitrous get the flash and then let the G5 run the nitrous solenoid.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

RGR, thanks.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The JB4 does a fine job of running the nitrous. There is user adjustable criteria and the nitrous only turns on when AFR is stable, timing is stable, boost over a certain level, engine speed between an RPM window, etc.. Although the G5 output we use for nitrous is a high current PWM so we could run a solenoid at say 10hz if we wanted with it.
    Terry,

Which wire on the G5 is the high current PWM output wire?
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

It's in the DB9 USB connector if I remember correctly. Check out the G5 thread on N54tech. You'll have to insert it into the connector yourself.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    Terry,

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    Terry,

Pin 7. When nitrous is set to 1 then the pin functions under nitrous control instead of 2STEP/NLS control. It will ground (up to 2amps) when triggered. So you'd connect the nitrous relay ground to it. Technically could probably connect the solenoid ground direct shipping the relay but I have not tried it like that before. It does have a flyback diode on it.
    Burger Motorsports