Close

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Dr. G and I are working on something relatively economic. I am sure once we figure it out it wouldn't be an issue to share the work. Probably around $1000. I have designed brake kits on other platforms before (Datsun 240z) and while these are larger and thus more expensive, I'd think there are decent OE options which can be made affordable.

There just is so much to do on this platform and TBH, this is just my daily driver. My 71 Datsun 240z with Ford 302 swap is my performance car. Its hard to justify spending on both.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I really like these.
    I made something fairly similar, but the cover was a bit wider and it was cut by hand so it didn't look as photo friendly. Getting a properly cut version would be cheap and easy, but I think there's a better option available.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I'm not ready to spend $3500 on a BBK yet though. I may look into the BMW performance calipers but IIRC they're not exactly cheap either. For now I'd settle for some caliper covers LOL
    I had the performance BBK. It's a decrease in performance and they can't handle heat so I wouldn't bother with them.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Dr. G and I are working on something relatively economic. I am sure once we figure it out it wouldn't be an issue to share the work. Probably around $1000. I have designed brake kits on other platforms before (Datsun 240z) and while these are larger and thus more expensive, I'd think there are decent OE options which can be made affordable.

There just is so much to do on this platform and TBH, this is just my daily driver. My 71 Datsun 240z with Ford 302 swap is my performance car. Its hard to justify spending on both.

Click here to enlarge
    Yup, once we get it all figured out and properly setup it should be a good option for everyone in terms of both performance and cost.
    jb4+fbo+meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I wouldn't go cheap on brakes. Yes BBKs are top $$$ but think about it: your safety (and that of others) depends on it! Stock brakes are fine for street driving but when you start tracking this car on a race track, then a BBK is one of the best investments.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Honestly, the stock calipers have sufficient braking capacity as it is. You need to upgrade the pads, lines and fluid to be able to do well on the track.

Sure, a 6-piston caliper with bigger rotors will perform better, but it would be marginal improvement.

I run PFC pads front and rear, ECSTuning lines and ATE Super Blue fluid. For the past 7-8 track days, the brakes have performed flawlessly.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Honestly, the stock calipers have sufficient braking capacity as it is. You need to upgrade the pads, lines and fluid to be able to do well on the track.

Sure, a 6-piston caliper with bigger rotors will perform better, but it would be marginal improvement.

I run PFC pads front and rear, ECSTuning lines and ATE Super Blue fluid. For the past 7-8 track days, the brakes have performed flawlessly.
    To be honest I just hate the feel of the stock brakes. That being said, a pad swap could help out, I agree. I figure if I am going to go through the work of bleeding them, swapping pads, etc I might as well get a more solid set of calipers/rotors in there save the weight, increase pad area, better feel, etc. Really the only difference is having a bracket or two machined.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I need a brake job soon... what rotors, pads and fluid would everyone recommend as far as an improvement over stock or at least OEM quality?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    I need a brake job soon... what rotors, pads and fluid would everyone recommend as far as an improvement over stock or at least OEM quality?
    If you are in Europe, try the EBC dimpled rotors. For a bit more show-off, you can try the Zimmermann cross-drilled rotors but these may crack like many drilled rotors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used frozen rotors and hawk pads for the front of my 535xi. Definitely an improvement over stock and far less brake dust. Not bad for $400 shipped. As far as fluid, a good DOT 4 should work well. I used Valvoline DOT 4.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    How about a thermostat bypass for the oil cooler?
    @uniter, we've got a number of these in stock now.

http://www.protuningfreaks.com/oil-t...-temperatures/

So far reports have been positive. Cheap effective way to drop oil temps without a significant hit on cold start warm-up cycles.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    @uniter , we've got a number of these in stock now.

http://www.protuningfreaks.com/oil-t...-temperatures/

So far reports have been positive. Cheap effective way to drop oil temps without a significant hit on cold start warm-up cycles.
    Dope.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Strut braces, front rear upper,lower whatever, always a nice fun little upgrade
    Cobb tuned, spec2+, wavetrac, DCI, ARdp's, AA fmic, forge DV's, M3 links & Sways, bbs lm's, bunch of exterior mods, and one happy BMW driver

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I run the Zimmerman cross drilled
    One year already and their still good.
    Did not see any track time though, but I also don't drive slow lol
    Cobb tuned, spec2+, wavetrac, DCI, ARdp's, AA fmic, forge DV's, M3 links & Sways, bbs lm's, bunch of exterior mods, and one happy BMW driver

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Dzenno,

Can you provide us with a list of the top 5 most demanded custom parts that you most realistically see ever attempting to put into production?

I am just trying to gauge (after 12 pages of discussion) what we should be expecting and when? I mean, no offense: I love to talk about what this platform needs but I'd hate to see this thread serving nothing else but to drum up popularity...
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Dzenno,

Can you provide us with a list of the top 5 most demanded custom parts that you most realistically see ever attempting to put into production?

I am just trying to gauge (after 12 pages of discussion) what we should be expecting and when? I mean, no offense...
    +1, I am still interested in that dust shield for aftermarket BBK's.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

this thread serving nothing else but to drum up popularity
    Not sure that was necessary but ok, your opinion. The point of this thread was to drum up interest in affordable custom N54 parts. Anyone on the forums capable enough can go ahead and help the community with anything mentioned in this thread and there's nothing mentioned here that should/is exclusive to me or ptf.

In any case, we've been extremely busy with tuning. We've also worked hard on bringing already made great quality parts from well established and quality manufacturers as people often asked/ask to get an intake or downpipes or an fmic or meth when tuning so that has taken priority over anything custom made by us for the past while.

The CNC shop is ready to start producing any time we have anything drawn up and ready to go. I've gotten in touch with someone local that is very capable in CAD and is willing to work with us. I don't have a list of top 5, I'm sorry, at least not at this time. Hopefully it'll come and believe me I'd love to have something done already but it is what it is and priorities shuffle.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 02-06-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

oddjob -

I do hope you're kidding.

Dust shields will interfere with the caliper and rotor shedding heat and have no place on a performance automobile.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Not sure that was necessary but ok, your opinion. The point of this thread was to drum up interest in affordable custom N54 parts. Anyone on the forums capable enough can go ahead and help the community with anything mentioned in this thread and there's nothing mentioned here that should/is exclusive to me or ptf.
    As said before: I meant no offence at all, but from where I sit (as a consumer) this is thread so far serves no other purpose but to create excitement and inflate hot air... When I contributed my suggestions to the list of parts, I was actually prepared to purchase those if they were made. ...and I still have the same intentions. ...and I was operating under the impression that PTF will be selling these because there is interest.

In any case, we've been extremely busy with tuning. We've also worked hard on bringing already made great quality parts from well established and quality manufacturers as people often asked/ask to get an intake or downpipes or an fmic or meth when tuning so that has taken priority over anything custom made by us for the past while.
    That's good! I am glad the company is doing well and there are people interested. I might get an etune from you guys in the summer once I figure out which route I want to go next.

The CNC shop is ready to start producing any time we have anything drawn up and ready to go. I've gotten in touch with someone local that is very capable in CAD and is willing to work with us. I don't have a list of top 5, I'm sorry, at least not at this time. Hopefully it'll come and believe me I'd love to have something done already but it is what it is and priorities shuffle.
    Great! That's good news. I think the interested parties would be very interested to see a prioritised list of parts you consider putting into production and some sort of an approximate time frame. You know... so that people can plan their finances and purchases better. We don't print money for a living, unlike Lord Voldermort. Click here to enlarge
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MDORPHN Click here to enlarge
    oddjob -

I do hope you're kidding.

Dust shields will interfere with the caliper and rotor shedding heat and have no place on a performance automobile.

Neil
    + 1000
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

@vasillalov, totally understand and thanks for pushing on me for showing some results here. I'll make it a point in the next few days to get started on this. First thing will be getting together with the CAD designer and I'll update you guys on what we're planning to do as in top 5.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, but I was wondering if there are 3" metal intercooler piping available?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Karura Click here to enlarge
    Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, but I was wondering if there are 3" metal intercooler piping available?
    You talking about the cold side piping that goes from the FMIC to the charge pipe?
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    You talking about the cold side piping that goes from the FMIC to the charge pipe?
    Yeah that would be it. Might be going with ETS 5" since it comes with pipes, easy install, good balance between cooling and pressure drop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Karura Click here to enlarge
    Yeah that would be it. Might be going with ETS 5" since it comes with pipes, easy install, good balance between cooling and pressure drop.
    I'm pretty sure most offer it now -- Active, ETS, COBB & an extra option with Helix. Can't go wrong with any of those
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

so uh

this just popped up on 1addicts

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

and probably e90post/australia

uhhh

sooo

yep

anyone elses thoughts on that?

ED:

just in case anyone isn't quite getting it

a 400*400*108mm intercooler

large single oil cooler

and a PWR (slightly larger) radiator.

i'm going to assume it's absolute baller money from them too, but in this case probably justified!
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Embed the images...

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast