Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    fwiw, Cn555ic, when u feel like the car is running on 3 cylinders, that's because it is! one bank of injectors (which ever side had the misfire, or supposed misfire) is turned off and those cylinders are just pumping air instead of a normal air/fuel mix. when you restart the car the injectors are reset and it will run fine until it hits the issue you're having again and shuts one bank down.

as for solving the issue at hand: i agree with dz and think it's the low side. hopefully you didn't waste money on a new lpfp but i'm guessing that's your root cause, if not, as others have stated as well, it's probably a faulty sensor. hope you can get your gremlin resolved sooner than later.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

I had bought the low pressure sensor awhile back but never got a chance to change it out as the car was running strong up until a week ago...Well I bit the bullet and started the replacement of the sensor...Its such a $#@! to get to this sensor especially all the crap you need to take out like your R100K3 stated!! I also had to take out alot more since I have meth nitrous lines and hardware...Well I finally located the sensor after the intake manifold was lifted and it was a quick change out to the new sensor..I cant believe this POS cost so much, and I hope this will solve my issues. If not then I will move to the LPFP in the rear passenger seat. I just got the LPFP delivered today too!
    I started installing back the manifold and the throttle body, next is the charge pipe and the rest of the tidbits! It took longer than I expected..

Here is a pic of the POS LP sensor. Its easy change if you have some clue to whats going on with the engine bay, but not any easy task for the novice thats for sure...Too many things need to come off to get to this damn stupid sensor...FTML
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

where does it go? all that for that tiny SOB!?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    where does it go? all that for that tiny SOB!?
    Steve whats up my friend! This POS sensor is directly underneath the intake manifold...Its in direct line fuel right before the HPFP...BMW design FTML

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Steve whats up my friend! This POS sensor is directly underneath the intake manifold...Its in direct line fuel right before the HPFP...BMW design
    FTML
    POS sensor cost 67 dollars and thats a discount...regular price 79 dollars bro..

BMW cost LPFP 330 with discount is 250 but I found a site for even cheaper 222 shipped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

POS sensor cost 67 dollars and thats a discount...regular price 79 dollars bro..

BMW cost LPFP 330 with discount is 250 but I found a site for even cheaper 222 shipped.

lol, i was asking about you a few weeks ago, if you ever got that juice running Click here to enlarge

Im asking because i have a fuel related issue on the M, and trying to figure where to start if bmw tells me they wont cover it. my gut feeling is its the same sensor, the one they told me upfront couldnt be covered due to the "extra" parts mine has there now

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

lol, i was asking about you a few weeks ago, if you ever got that juice running Click here to enlarge

Im asking because i have a fuel related issue on the M, and trying to figure where to start if bmw tells me they wont cover it. my gut feeling is its the same sensor, the one they told me upfront couldnt be covered due to the "extra" parts mine has there now
    Yeah I got that juice running! Ran through four 5lb bottles...Its quite a rush for sure...Havent even attempted to use the bottle and I am glad this issue happens as I could have imagine what would have happen if I experience this with the LPFP saga...

I wouldnt even attemp to bring it in to a dealership as the guys that work there have no clue themselves how to work around an engine..There are some that are very good, but there are far more in numbers that are stupid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

If its the same fuel delivery system used on the M, then the sensor up top is the HP SENSOR which is easily accessible as its in the back part of engine bay near the fuel rails. All that needs to be taken off is the engine cowl and the engine cover.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Nope, the S65 is a standard low pressure port injection system. Runs at 5bar, IIRC. No HPFP or direct injection on it. The pressure sensor is UNDER the driver's floorpan, so no supercharger parts will complicate the procedure.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

@JamesM3M5. I used INPA to read the low pressure sensor and the car was read 9800 Hpa which he has codes for fuel pump also. Another car had readings of 5088 which you said was normal. Once I install everything back I will get a reading of my car to see of the value of 7033 Hpa changes back to normal values of 5000~.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

You can just open the door to get the low pressure pump to come on before you get the whole car back together. Might want to give it a try before reassembling everything and finding a problem where you'd have to disassemble it again. Probably not likely you'll have a problem, just an idea.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 Click here to enlarge
    You can just open the door to get the low pressure pump to come on before you get the whole car back together. Might want to give it a try before reassembling everything and finding a problem where you'd have to disassemble it again. Probably not likely you'll have a problem, just an idea.
    The problem is I turn ignition on before and didn't hear or feel a peep from the LPFP. There is no priming whatsoever. I am also on the original software from 2007 which I think didn't prime the pump. All I know is it weird that I didn't feel a vibration or hear a noise from the LPFP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Several of your screen caps show low pressure at 7400hPa, which is 7.4bar. The LP system is supposed to run 5.0bar. I think the LP pressure sensor is bad, but you can verify with a regular fuel pressure gauge to verify. The LPFP is on the passenger side, but the filter and pressure regulator are on the driver's side of the tank.

Monitor your low pressure fuel system when the fault occurs. If the sensor is telling the ECU that it's running at 7.4bar, it will erroneously slow the LPFP down to reduce outlet pressure/flow.
    Hey James I took another reading from Inpa of the low pressure sensor before putting everything back like you suggested and so far so good, the value is hovering at 5000 Hpa....Now I just need to check for leaks of the sensor and put the engine bay back together and test it on the road...If it still exhibits the issue, I will then move onto changing out the LPFP...Keep you guys posted of my progress.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

I had bought the low pressure sensor awhile back but never got a chance to change it out as the car was running strong up until a week ago...Well I bit the bullet and started the replacement of the sensor...Its such a $#@! to get to this sensor especially all the crap you need to take out like your R100K3 stated!! I also had to take out alot more since I have meth nitrous lines and hardware...Well I finally located the sensor after the intake manifold was lifted and it was a quick change out to the new sensor..I cant believe this POS cost so much, and I hope this will solve my issues. If not then I will move to the LPFP in the rear passenger seat. I just got the LPFP delivered today too!
    I started installing back the manifold and the throttle body, next is the charge pipe and the rest of the tidbits! It took longer than I expected..

Here is a pic of the POS LP sensor. Its easy change if you have some clue to whats going on with the engine bay, but not any easy task for the novice thats for sure...Too many things need to come off to get to this damn stupid sensor...FTML
    Nope, the S65 is a standard low pressure port injection system. Runs at 5bar, IIRC. No HPFP or direct injection on it. The pressure sensor is UNDER the driver's floorpan, so no supercharger parts will complicate the procedure.

steve, what was the part # for the lp sensor? was it 13537614317 ?

realoem.com lists it as a fit for mine, but getbmwparts.com doesnt list the m3, only 5, 6, 7 series cars, so im confused

all points are leading to this on mine, and of course, not covered

james, you say its under the floor board? as in i can get to it from under the car, or i need to pull something up?

any insight/pics/diagrams will be greatly appreciated

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

steve, what was the part # for the lp sensor? was it 13537614317 ?

realoem.com lists it as a fit for mine, but getbmwparts.com doesnt list the m3, only 5, 6, 7 series cars, so im confused

all points are leading to this on mine, and of course, not covered

james, you say its under the floor board? as in i can get to it from under the car, or i need to pull something up?

any insight/pics/diagrams will be greatly appreciated
    Yeah Steve that's the part I got. What symptoms do you have? Is it the same as I described above? Well just to let you know the issue seems to be fixed by changing that dumb sensor. Its pretty crazy that a sensor would make my car run like crap. So far I have tried 3/4 throttle as traffic didn't allow me to WOT. Before even going 3/4 throttle the car would bog and feel like brakes being pressed, Now the car feels smoother than before. Maybe it's just my imagination, But I honestly feel it does. I will take it out tonight and go WOT and get back to you but I think it's fixedClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Steve I will check TIS to see if I can locate that sensor for you

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

yea, if you have anything from TIS, It would help. I just posted a thread in the s65 section with what I have found so far, the more info the better

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Steve....From your thread on S65, the picture of the sensor looks identical to mine! The location of your sensor is so much easier to access than on the N54. FTW. Change it out and get back to us.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

The S65 pressure sender looks like it's under the car, but above the fiber underbody panels under the driver's foot area. The E36 and E46 have their fuel filters in that same area, so if you're familiar with one of them, it will be the same story.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

The LPFP is a fun one to do. I won't give any secrets, but I will tell you it's a real pita, especially if you have a full tank Click here to enlarge

N54s do not have separate fuel filters, and I don't believe S65s do either. It's all internal in the fuel basket in the tank.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Thanks Matt for the headsup! YOu are a great friend and expert tech, and I guess changing out the LPFP on my car will be postponed till a further date, hopefully a long ways from now! I thought it was the HPFP but I guess it wasnt correct diagnoses on my part so early on! JUst took the car out and finally did a couple of WOT runs and the car is running perfect. It seems to running so much better and more efficient with the new LP fuel sensor. I guess the fuel delivery was compromised all this time that I had this faulty LP sensor...Weird part is that I have logged this 29F3 code for the longest and never thought it would actually mean something as the car has been running fine with this code for the longest! I guess it finally went!

I guess with this thread people who have the same symptoms as I posted with codes of 2A2D (low pressure fuel), 2AAF( fuel pump plausability) and the 29DC(injector switch off) can first change out the LP sensor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Took the car out for an early test today from 0-120 and the car runs perfect. A/F in check and boost with meth at 16psi with no timing drops. Incredible but the culprit is indeed the sensor. I am a happy camperClick here to enlarge

On a side note. I threw out the old LP sensor but it had a different number on it then the new LP sensor. Hopefully the newer version one is made better and not prone to failing or giving false readings...Like I stated anyone getting the code 29F3 should immediately change out the Low pressure sensor as it will sooner or later fail on you.
    Last edited by Cn555ic; 08-03-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    The LPFP is a fun one to do. I won't give any secrets, but I will tell you it's a real pita, especially if you have a full tank Click here to enlarge

N54s do not have separate fuel filters, and I don't believe S65s do either. It's all internal in the fuel basket in the tank.
    I think on the drivers side rear passenger seat there is a pressure regulator and filter if I read correctly and its a separate unit than from the LPFP found under passenger rear seats. I am not sure on the S65 if its set up the same as the N54 though..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I think on the drivers side rear passenger seat there is a pressure regulator and filter if I read correctly and a separate unit than from the LPFP found under passenger rear seats. I am not sure on the S65 if its set up the same as the N54 though..
    That's correct. Both things are right under the rear seat cushion. Lift that up and on the driver's side there's a lid right there that you take off and find your fuel pressure regulator and filter. On the passenger side is where you LPFP is. Really easy access to both.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes, but they're inside the tank. You'll have to make sure you have less than a full tank, preferably 1/2 or less.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast