Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

BMW factory M3 tunes 080E versus 231E dyno - 231E tune hype is BS

Here's a dyno conducted by one of the guys at Top Speed Motorsports, the crazy GTR tuners. He had his car updated by his dealer. After getting updated, he actually claimed that he lost mid-range power. So he threw it on his dyno and results back up his driving impressions....yet another interesting twist to the infamous 231E

080E vs 231E | Drop In Air Filter, Pulleys, Secondary Cat Delete, 93/100 Fuel
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    We need this man. We desperately need this.
    I'll definitely try my best to get it done sooner than later. Unfortunately, it's tough to call a day off. With my dyno location being over an hour away, it kind of ends up being an all day event, hehe.
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Here's a dyno conducted by one of the guys at Top Speed Motorsports, the crazy GTR tuners. He had his car updated by his dealer. After getting updated, he actually claimed that he lost mid-range power. So he threw it on his dyno and results back up his driving impressions....yet another interesting twist to the infamous 231E

080E vs 231E | Drop In Air Filter, Pulleys, Secondary Cat Delete, 93/100 Fuel

I'll definitely try my best to get it done sooner than later. Unfortunately, it's tough to call a day off. With my dyno location being over an hour away, it kind of ends up being an all day event, hehe.
    Nice post, going to put this in its own thread I think.

Clearly the 231E stuff is BS. It's just an updated tune from BMW not a performance tune. People buying into and literally buying it instead of a proper aftermarket tune are idiots.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Nice post, going to put this in its own thread I think.

Clearly the 231E stuff is BS. It's just an updated tune from BMW not a performance tune. People buying into and literally buying it instead of a proper aftermarket tune are idiots.
    Thanks for moving this and starting the thread!

I can understand some people who's cars are out of warranty and not having dealers to update for them with the latest tune, buying the update for a very small fee. I believe some shops here in the Chicago area will offer it just for the sake of having the latest update, not necessarily to put down more power. I don't think they charge a lot either.

Some people seem to be paying $250 for the 231E update and a before/after dyno which I think is pretty pricey considering that one can get the 231E update for free from a couple generous tuners and an hour of dyno time usually doesn't cost too much. What saddens me is that the shop that advertises these huge gains advertise such false dyno graphs...

Ultimately, as a community we may not be able to control the marketing of a lot of companies. What we can do is educate the consumer to be weary of such practice. Understanding how to properly dyno these cars, depicting what expected dyno numbers should be, and most of all raising awareness of what goes on in the industry.

In either case, I'll say this again. A couple years ago, my dealer updated me from my original DME tune to 220E, then Evolve Automotive generously updated me to 231E for free. In the two times I updated my car, I didn't really feel any substantial difference.

Hopefully I can contribute some dynos in the near future as well!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Some people seem to be paying $250 for the 231E update and a before/after dyno which I think is pretty pricey considering that one can get the 231E update for free from a couple generous tuners and an hour of dyno time usually doesn't cost too much. What saddens me is that the shop that advertises these huge gains advertise such false dyno graphs...
    It's seems like a pathetic cash grab to me. Sell a dozen of these, extra $3000 for nothing really.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

It's seems like a pathetic cash grab to me. Sell a dozen of these, extra $3000 for nothing really.
    I must agree with you. I have heard of shops here in Chicago charging around $95 or so for a DME update via Autologic, but that is for any BMW. In no way do they advertise power gains. It is just simply an avenue a client can take to make sure their car is up to date.

What bugs me more is the potentially false advertisement that can mislead clients. Here are the dynos that EAS has used in their For Sale thread. Notice how they are using DynoRun001 for the baseline. I am not claiming this as absolute fact, but often times, the E9X M3 makes the least amount of power on it's first run and takes many runs to finally stabilize in power on the DynoJet. It would have been great if EAS could provide several consistent baselines and several consistent 231E update runs as well.

This dyno is property of EAS and taken from their publicaly posted For Sale thread on another forum.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Claiming almost 20 whp is pretty absurd and certainly misleading.

Why is all this junk coming from EAS as of late?

Edit: Another thing, what M3 baselines 308 whp?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Claiming almost 20 whp is pretty absurd and certainly misleading.

Why is all this junk coming from EAS as of late?

Edit: Another thing, what M3 baselines 308 whp?
    Agreed! Especially on a well maintained and calibrated DynoJet. It really bums me out about all this stuff. I really do think that EAS does build great cars and I'm sure they have very high quality in mechanical service. But when it comes to this dyno and marketing stuff, it really disappoints me.

To back up what I was saying earlier. Here is a dyno of my E46 M3 comparing the first run of the day to one of the last. Granted it's an E46 M3 and not an E90 M3, the concept is the same. There was absolutely no change in anything done to my car. It was just run over and over again on the dyno. Looking at the graph it may look like my car had some good power mods added, but no, it just warmed up and reached proper operating temps, hahahaha. Once again proving how dyno data can be very manipulative in advertising power gains of any aftermarket product.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Agreed! Especially on a well maintained and calibrated DynoJet. It really bums me out about all this stuff. I really do think that EAS does build great cars and I'm sure they have very high quality in mechanical service. But when it comes to this dyno and marketing stuff, it really disappoints me.

To back up what I was saying earlier. Here is a dyno of my E46 M3 comparing the first run of the day to one of the last. Granted it's an E46 M3 and not an E90 M3, the concept is the same. There was absolutely no change in anything done to my car. It was just run over and over again on the dyno. Looking at the graph it may look like my car had some good power mods added, but no, it just warmed up and reached proper operating temps, hahahaha. Once again proving how dyno data can be very manipulative in advertising power gains of any aftermarket product.

http://alexroyphotography.com/dyno_database/1v9.jpg
    That is a very good example.

I don't understand what EAS is doing.

They are nice guys, nice facility, etc., but this just seems beneath them. Guess it's all about the $ however you can get it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

That is a very good example.

I don't understand what EAS is doing.

They are nice guys, nice facility, etc., but this just seems beneath them. Guess it's all about the $ however you can get it.
    Indeed. I have exchanged many PMs, emails, and phone calls with the EAS team and they have always been very responsive, helpful, and friendly.

Anyways, I hope others can share more data regarding the 231E update. I'm very curious to find more independent measurements of various versions in comparison to 231E. With more data, we can all make our own more appropriate conclusions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Anyways, I hope others can share more data regarding the 231E update. I'm very curious to find more independent measurements of various versions in comparison to 231E. With more data, we can all make our own more appropriate conclusions.
    Agreed.

Hopefully we can throw your results in the mix Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

There are at least two relevant variables not being discussed here - age of the spark plugs and fuel mixture.

Since no one has actually explained what changed, aside from Bren stating that some adjustments were made to deal with the aging spark plugs, it is largely educated guess work.

There was a bulletin IIRC to update M3s at one point away from pre-100E IIRC. So even BMW saw a reason to do this, so that is interesting. I believe I saw this posted somewhere, but can't seem to find it now. No surprise that none of the dealers did it to my car since they generally do not do what they are supposed to anyway.

When all the hype came out about 231E, Evolve got a ton of emails. I sent Sal one and told him to update me if he saw a reason, otherwise no worries. He sent me a new file, so I assume there is *some* benefit to it.

Obviously, no one can trust EAS's dynos anymore based on the facts out there now. They have discredited themselves over a few HP to try to differentiate their SII intake from others.