Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

N54 MAP Reading Capped ?

For months now I have being trying to figure out why my MAP is being capped at 17.4 PSI . I thought something was wrong with my OBD monitor, DashDaq, until I used it on my Mini, a Benz, and on another N54 eveything turned out ok. I even tried a DynoDash which resulted in the same thing, my MAP will cap out at 17.4.

Because of this cap it also affect proper reading of boost, and I am in no way running 2.7 PSI of boost.

So, do I have a bad MAP sensor or is there a max threshold set in the DME via OBD monitoring ?

I have a flash tune....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like your dashdaq is limited to 17 psi, not the TMAP. The factory TMAP is good to 22 PSI.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like your dashdaq is limited to 17 psi, not the TMAP. The factory TMAP is good to 22 PSI.
    I tested it on an AMG CLS that hit 20 Boost PSI and a MAP PSI of 35. DashDaq and DynoDash have rescaling calculators for boost ie Turbo Boost(PSI) = MAP - Barometric Pressure(14.7) this is how your get turbo boost.

If the MAP is capped they your Turbo Boost will not be correct also.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The MAP is something like a 1.25bar. So, it will only read up to around 3.5psi at sea level. With the N54 OBDII based boost readers are completely worthless.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    The MAP is something like a 1.25bar. So, it will only read up to around 3.5psi at sea level. With the N54 OBDII based boost readers are completely worthless.
    Are you talking about the manifold map sensor?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are you talking about the manifold map sensor?
    Correct, N54 manifold sensor. The chargepipe map sensor is a 2.5 bar. The N55 has a dual 2.5 bar, while the N20 has a 2.5 bar manifold and 3.5 bar chargepipe.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Correct, N54 manifold sensor. The chargepipe map sensor is a 2.5 bar. The N55 has a dual 2.5 bar, while the N20 has a 2.5 bar manifold and 3.5 bar chargepipe.
    So what solution would correct this, upgrade the MAP sensors, upgrade the CP ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    Upgrade the dashdaq.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Upgrade the dashdaq.
    I dont see how upgrading the DashDaq or a Dashdyno would resolve this when the limitation is being held in the MAP sensor.

Seems like upgrading to a N20 MAP sensor, and then modifying the voltage to boost table in the firmware is the correct path to take on this. Thus when I upgrade the turbos I dont have to worry about this again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Reprogram the OBDII device to use an alternative logging PID that captures chargepipe MAP, like we do for our CAN Tool.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Reprogram the OBDII device to use an alternative logging PID that captures chargepipe MAP, like we do for our CAN Tool.
    Awesome, this helps, there are some other PID type connection settings in the DashDaq , will check it out..

Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It isn't likely they have it, as AFAIK it's not an OBDII standard. Would need to be the BMW specific standard. But it can't hurt to poke around.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For some reason it's more than just boost most OBD2 readers can't decipher. I bought a bluetooth OBD2 communicator and i use the Torque android app for when i'm working on other peoples cars(i do some small sidework) and it works great.

But it's damn near useless on the N54. It can't read oil temp, it will only read IATs if they're above 86F, boost maxxes out at 3.5psi, and there are several other channels, i can't remember right now what they are, that i can't access.
    so I always just use my AP for my 135.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It isn't likely they have it, as AFAIK it's not an OBDII standard. Would need to be the BMW specific standard. But it can't hurt to poke around.
    Nope didnt work, tried multiple settings, and did not get any additional PID's. Damn it man..... its damn fustrating to see it work flawlessly on my Mini, and on AMG cars but useless on the N54. Cant log sh*t without MAP.

How the hell does Cobb do it, do they reroute something in the software so the MAP on the charge pipe can be read instead of the main Manifold sensor ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    How about just get a real tune? But if you insist on keeping your flash tune get a Bavarian tech to log with...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nope didnt work, tried multiple settings, and did not get any additional PID's. Damn it man..... its damn fustrating to see it work flawlessly on my Mini, and on AMG cars but useless on the N54. Cant log sh*t without MAP.

How the hell does Cobb do it, do they reroute something in the software so the MAP on the charge pipe can be read instead of the main Manifold sensor ?
    They use the BMW specific standard like we do with the JB4, CAN Tool, etc. General tools are normally worthless with BMWs. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They use the BMW specific standard like we do with the JB4, CAN Tool, etc. General tools are normally worthless with BMWs. Click here to enlarge
    Do you have any idea why BMW would put the Manifold sensor on the N54 to cap at 1.20 bar and the charge-pipe map sensor at 2.5 bar ? Even with stock tune it will show a cap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have any idea why BMW would put the Manifold sensor on the N54 to cap at 1.20 bar and the charge-pipe map sensor at 2.5 bar ? Even with stock tune it will show a cap.
    Because it really only needs to read vacuum, which it can do with great resolution.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Because it really only needs to read vacuum, which it can do with greatER resolution.
    Exactly. Added two letters. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mike335i Click here to enlarge
    How about just get a real tune? But if you insist on keeping your flash tune get a Bavarian tech to log with...
    Please enlighten all of us and explain what you believe to be a "real tune" and why. Thank you.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Please enlighten all of us and explain what you believe to be a "real tune" and why. Thank you.
    Anything found on eBay obviously.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    I'd rather not waste my time but at least your flash tune comes with logging capabilities.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well for what its worth this was DrewTech's reply about the DashDaq not being able to see the Charge Pipe MAP sensor

Click here to enlarge

According to Terry and lulz_m3 above, not holding anyone liable, the DME only monitors the I-MAP sensor for vacuum, and not use for target or to manage boost or anything else ?

I was thinking of just getting another CP-MAP sensor that is 2.5 bar and just swap it out with the MAP sonsor on the manifold and see what happens Click here to enlarge .....if it fits....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol that won't work. The DME uses the MAP and TMAP to create a single view of load from vacuum through full boost.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why not just get a Bavarian Tech tool, CAN tool (to watch gauges), an AP, JB4, heck even a Procede?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast