Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

31-34% methanol ratio too low?

When combined with a 40% ethanol/93 octane ratio and a peak of 17psi, is this meth ratio too low? I was starting to think my boost juice may be an overkill, but I've had some feedback that 31-34% meth ratio is too low. Lets discuss the reasons why it won't be effective. I may just buy Splash -20F (31-34%) and mix half/half with straight M1 to get a 61% methanol ratio/gallon instead to get and end up with $5.43/gallon price vs. paying about $10/gallon for 49/51 boostjuice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    btw, my butt dyno says it feels every bit as strong as running boostjuice, but some other members have stated that our engine can only handle 350ml/min of H20. If that was the case, I'm currently flowing 544ml/min of H20 with boostjuice but my car seems to run ok?

my calculation is based on aCM10 nozzle 800cc/min @ 150psi, but i'm running 200psi and multiplying it by the % of water in my meth mixture. Is this the correct way?
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spool twice Click here to enlarge
    btw, my butt dyno says it feels every bit as strong as running boostjuice, but some other members have stated that our engine can only handle 350ml/min of H20. If that was the case, I'm currently flowing 544ml/min of H20 with boostjuice but my car seems to run ok?

my calculation is based on aCM10 nozzle 800cc/min @ 150psi, but i'm running 200psi and multiplying it by the % of water in my meth mixture. Is this the correct way?
    It would be 200psi - what psi of boost your running. Remember that the charge pressure in the charge pipe will also pressurize the meth lines. Wish i had more feedback but i am a meth noob at the moment.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i used to mix 100% meth with ww fluid. gets me the right mix plus has a blue tint so i could see it easier.

yes, your % is currently low, i would say go a bit higher, 60% meth, 40%ww fluid Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think Terry tried -20F WW fluid (~33%) and said that it was a viable solution.

EDIT: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...=fluid+testing
    Last edited by Xearom3; 07-19-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: found teh link
    -'09 135i MT - Custom 6466 ST - 680whp Click here to enlarge
    -'08 135i AT - 6466 ST - dead
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've run it and it works well. You loose a bit of power vs. say 49% meth but it's much stronger than pump alone. A good way to go especially for WW kits. Just spike the mix on track or race days.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    if you're making 400hp and the "rule of thumb" fuel usage is 1lb of fuel per hour per 1hp, then you are using appx 400lbs per hr. Converted that's 50g/s. 500cc/min of water is 8g/s. So about 16% water. The more water the less energy. I run probably close to 500cc (at full boost) and no drivability issues... car pulls really strong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I follow u right up to the 16% where does that come from?^^

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    50*0.16=8

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Doh! Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If I can make 420rwhp on E85/93, DCI, Jb4 alone, could using a 31% meth mixture be ok just for the sake of having consistent IAT's at WOT without any harm done to the RWHP figure, or could it possibly drop?
    Loe P.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yes, but consider using an m3 or so nozzle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    yes, but consider using an m3 or so nozzle.
    Thanks for this, I was wondering about a smaller nozzle size myself.
    Loe P.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If I can make 420rwhp on E85/93, DCI, Jb4 alone, could using a 31% meth mixture be ok just for the sake of having consistent IAT's at WOT without any harm done to the RWHP figure, or could it possibly drop?
    Yes, definitely. I'd probably use a CM7 also. Or wait for us to make a few meth programming changes and we'll let you better define the meth flow curve in the JB4 interface. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for this, I was wondering about a smaller nozzle size myself.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Yes, definitely. I'd probably use a CM7 also. Or wait for us to make a few meth programming changes and we'll let you better define the meth flow curve in the JB4 interface. Click here to enlarge
    There ya go, proof I'm no longer up to date on n54 stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    cant' wait to see what's in store for the JB4 interface. I would love a reduced flow if and when I decide to just use straight -20 WW fluid.
    Loe P.