Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Thumbs up Refreshing an old Topasblau Turd: CSL roof and respray

Picked up the car from Bellevue BMW in January 2008 with 38,000 miles. Before she hit the body shop last month, the odometer read 94,400 and the paint was haggard to say the least. Driving through the below sandstorm, the metallic topaz paint was destroyed. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

State Farm took care of the car and for my $250 comprehensive deductible authorized a complete respray, 10 hrs of body work, new windshield, headlight lenses and gills/grills. Click here to enlarge

I paid an additional 15 hours of labor to install the OEM CSL roof that ECS so graciously delivered. Thank you Alex (flipm3)!

Body work begins.
    Click here to enlarge
    Bumpers off.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Off with the sunroof.
    Click here to enlarge

Welding the support brace.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Prepping the metal for epoxy.
    Click here to enlarge

Prepping the CSL roof for epoxy
    Click here to enlarge

Roof is on! Fuzor epoxy did the trick.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Masked the new roof....and off to the paint booth!
    Click here to enlarge

After paint and a bake.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

The car will get another coat of clear and then in for a full buff job. We are still waiting for the insulation pieces to arrive from Tischer BMW. If it weren't for those two parts, I would have the car back this Friday.

Next up. Find a home for these two under the Topaz turd's bonnet.

SS V1 stepped headers coated by Swaintech.
    Click here to enlarge

Evolve CSL Airbox.
    Click here to enlarge

Thanks for looking!

Mike

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Mike the car looks freaking awesome! Man the anticipation of seeing your car 100% complete is killer. Great update and there was no doubt a silver lining to your mishap with the sandstorm.

I can't wait for some updates!
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Man the anticipation of seeing your car 100% complete is killer. Great update and there was no doubt a silver lining to your mishap with the sandstorm!
    It is killing me as well. Haven't driven the beast in a month. Updates will be quite some time as we are moving to Denver in 2.5 weeks. We just sold our home in NV today and I wont have a garage to wrench and play until we buy another home.

Unfortunately my tools and the car will go into long term storage until we close on a home in Denver.

My wife had ok'd looking at large lot homes with detached garage/shop so that may mean my modding time could increase but who knows...

Thanks for the kind words Alex. We may see eachother around at events when I pick up a new car trailer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The car looks absolutely awesome.

Where was that sandstorm and why did you drive through it?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The car looks great.
    A sunroof in Nevada, isn't that self torture ? Click here to enlarge
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The car looks absolutely awesome.
    Thank you Joseph. I haven't seen it with the clear but I am thoroughly impressed with the work thus far.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Where was that sandstorm and why did you drive through it?
    Along the border of NV and CA. We were looking at a foreclosed potential rental property when a "wind advisory" was announced. The wind-advisory turned into blizzard like conditions in June. Car was exposed for only a few minutes but it was already too late at that point.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    A sunroof in Nevada, isn't that self torture ? Click here to enlarge
    Where I live (or lived) was 4,700 ft elevation in the foothills. Completely different than the 115+ degree temps experienced in the flat-lands of Vegas. The true torture to me was the additional 65 lbs of fat!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    work looks good, should look amazing when its all said and done!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Updates

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
    work looks good, should look amazing when its all said and done!
    Thank you! The gentleman that has been working on the car is beyond meticulous. It has been his sole project for the past 4 weeks.

Updates: Brand new front bumper, headlights, lenses, gills/grills, turn signal and hood insert have been installed.
    Click here to enlarge

Here is Darius. The man with the golden hands.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Insulation goes on today. And then the headliner and front/rear glass.
    Click here to enlarge

For those that take on this adventure in the future, the following parts are NOT needed to complete the installation:

-CSL roof rails (Thanks Alex!)
    -Right/Left insulation *use a hot-rod or custom upholstery shop. The material is better (temperature protection, weight and fitment) and you won't wait the 8 weeks on back-order like we did for the CSL pieces. Comparing the two types of material, the custom material was of much higher quality than the stuff BMW provided in 2003

I was told the car will be back together by mid-late next week.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great to see more updates Mike! The car really is coming together.

Please don't get mad at me, but I did the unthinkable....I sold my OE CSL Roof to someone here in Chicago.....

I started weighing how much I'd have to invest in the roof when I don't even have a sunroof to begin with. So after selling the roof, I started thinking about other avenues. A big part of me wanted to start toying with the E90 M3 a little bit, but then now I'm swinging back towards working more on my motor.

I am thinking of doing the following:
    • Buy a used head and have it cleaned up and slight port/polish on the exhaust side
    • Buy used throttle bodies and get that cleaned up and ported
    • Get Shrick 288/280 cams with 12.5mm lift
    • Get new OE Rocker Arms/lifters
    • ARP head studs

Then when all those parts are ready, do a quick swap and retune through Evolve.

My only struggle right now is finding the right information on the best way to do things. I can't decide if it's worth getting CSL Exhaust Valves or Supertech Valves. Not sure if it's even worth port/polishing. So many decisions. I just want to do it once and right the first time.

Sorry to get off topic. Definitely keep us posted on new pics Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great to see more updates Mike! The car really is coming together.
    Please don't get mad at me, but I did the unthinkable....I sold my OE CSL Roof to someone here in Chicago.....
    No worries. I am glad you spilled the beans on your source before you bailed on the roof phenomenon. I stopped by the shop today. Car looks much the same as last Friday, but the new insulation (provided by a hot-rod interior shop) is now covering the underside of the roof and the headliner was being modified to accept the OEM dome-lights and Homelink. I was told Friday for completion.

I started weighing how much I'd have to invest in the roof when I don't even have a sunroof to begin with. So after selling the roof, I started thinking about other avenues. A big part of me wanted to start toying with the E90 M3 a little bit, but then now I'm swinging back towards working more on my motor.
    With your car already sans-sunroof, it makes sense why you got cold feet. I hope you never get the pleasure of standing next to the OE CSL roof on the E46M however, as it is truly a work of art. Finish and weave is impeccable. Fit exquisitely (even though it is 3.5mm shorter). I am tickled pink thus far.
    I am thinking of doing the following:
    • Buy a used head and have it cleaned up and slight port/polish on the exhaust side
    • Buy used throttle bodies and get that cleaned up and ported
    • Get Shrick 288/280 cams with 12.5mm lift
    • Get new OE Rocker Arms/lifters
    • ARP head studs

Then when all those parts are ready, do a quick swap and retune through Evolve.

My only struggle right now is finding the right information on the best way to do things. I can't decide if it's worth getting CSL Exhaust Valves or Supertech Valves. Not sure if it's even worth port/polishing. So many decisions. I just want to do it once and right the first time.

Sorry to get off topic. Definitely keep us posted on new pics Click here to enlarge
    Copying Stan I take it? Well I hope you are not bidding on the spare heads I've been inquiring on!! Click here to enlarge

I am actually following the same route and will be doing the wrenching myself this winter. Just need to buy another house in Denver before Halloween....

The port work on the head is a task ANY qualified machine/build shop can accomplish. There is so little "meat" to play with on the S54 head that most of the work is bowl cleanup. The exhaust path has a bit to chew off but it is nowhere near the kind of work these shops do every week for small-block ford/chevy/mopar v8 cylinder heads. Long story short. This is an easy money port and polish job for a reputable shop. The priority is to maintain velocity while finishing the combustion chambers.

The tuning is another story. I am leaning towards evolve as well.

Later,
    Mike

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I still would love to get a CSL Roof one day, but it just didn't really make much financial sense at the moment. I could be using those funds for much more fun projects.

I definitely do plan on doing something similar to Stan's build! I am just having a tough time deciding on how far I want to go. Ultimately, I plan on rebuilding the motor and going all out whenever my S54 needs to be refreshed. That's why at the moment, I am contemplating if I should go all out with the machine work or simply just do the cams and retune.

When you get the chance, let me know your email address. I'd love to discuss some stuff with you when you get the chance.

Alex

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Cool She's baaack..

I still would love to get a CSL Roof one day, but it just didn't really make much financial sense at the moment. I could be using those funds for much more fun projects.
    With your car already sans sunroof, that makes sense. It's about 15-20 hours of labor. But once unveiled on your naked eye, the roof is facking amazing. Weave is impeccable. The curve of the piece follows the body lines precisely. Finish is show-room ready out the door. It was worth the 3 month wait for the OEM roof over the Vorsteiner rep. for sure.

The car definitely feels more nimble hanging a tight turn after losing the 66 lbs. (the shop weighed the sunroof/glass/and rails) from the top. Nothing drastic, but the body roll has been reduced further. It feels as though the corner balance is off a bit now but I can fix that down the road.

Here is a quick phone camera shot of the finished car. We will wash and wax the car tomorrow and take some proper pictures from a camera manana.

There is still some buffing compound to clean out of the cracks but its 99% ready.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Stay tuned for finished pics after a hand wash and wax.

Mike

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My goodness that looks all sorts of sexy!!!!!

Your car is definitely getting quite the revamp this year. Time for some more power!!! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My goodness that looks all sorts of sexy!!!!!
    Thank you. Lightened my wallet and the car quite a bit as well.

Your car is definitely getting quite the revamp this year. Time for some more power!!! Click here to enlarge
    Certainly is. The Evolve Airbox, stepped V1's and alpha-n remap should hold me for now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't wait man!!!

Hopefully I can add some new changes to my car soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The CSL insulation and drip-mouldings (or roof rails) are a waste by the way.... don't bother. Have them paint matched to the car. Your eye follows the lines of the car better with them paint matched.

Now may we be blessed with luck on our adventures opening up the cylinder head for mo' N/A powwwaa! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    The CSL insulation and drip-mouldings (or roof rails) are a waste by the way.... don't bother. Have them paint matched to the car. Your eye follows the lines of the car better with them paint matched.

Now may we be blessed with luck on our adventures opening up the cylinder head for mo' N/A powwwaa! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

k back to watching the Olympics, hehe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    car looks sick with the CSL roof!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow. First of all where the heck did you get in a stand storm that ruined your paint?

Second of all great job on the refresh bro, car looks brand new and the roof is delicious. Man I really wana get that roof but I just came upon this deal for OEM CSL 19s with fresh Pirelli rubber and have to get them. Roof will be next as soon as I finish.

But Man best of luck with the car, that intake and those headers will make you love the car even more. My Stepped headers are ready with SS but their closed for summer break. Once they open back up I might have them temp coat them for me too before sending them over to me.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Wow. First of all where the heck did you get in a stand storm that ruined your paint?
    Western NV. The damage was only to the driver side and the hood. State farm suggested respraying the entire car to maintain color consistency. Just transferred to Denver so that won't happen again.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Second of all great job on the refresh bro, car looks brand new and the roof is delicious. Man I really wana get that roof but I just came upon this deal for OEM CSL 19s with fresh Pirelli rubber and have to get them. Roof will be next as soon as I finish.
    Thanks man. The paint job really revived the car. Wish I could enjoy it as its in storage. I'll be without the car until we close on a home in Denver.

But Man best of luck with the car, that intake and those headers will make you love the car even more. My Stepped headers are ready with SS but their closed for summer break. Once they open back up I might have them temp coat them for me too before sending them over to me.
    My headers and Evolve box are in storage as well. My agency put me up in a 2 bedroom suite so the fam and I are living out of a suitcase and without my tools until we close escrow. Likely to be mid-late September.

My Stepped headers are ready with SS but their closed for summer break. Once they open back up I might have them temp coat them for me too before sending them over to me.
    Swaintech White Lightning or don't even bother. I've had headers coated by JetHot previously and the Swaintech coating blows it out of the water. Same price as well.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Oh snap!!! YOU GOT STEPPED HEADERS??!?!?! V1 or V2 Click here to enlarge

I would love to see some back to back dynos compared to your current ones!

Western NV. The damage was only to the driver side and the hood. State farm suggested respraying the entire car to maintain color consistency. Just transferred to Denver so that won't happen again.

Thanks man. The paint job really revived the car. Wish I could enjoy it as its in storage. I'll be without the car until we close on a home in Denver.

My headers and Evolve box are in storage as well. My agency put me up in a 2 bedroom suite so the fam and I are living out of a suitcase and without my tools until we close escrow. Likely to be mid-late September.

Swaintech White Lightning or don't even bother. I've had headers coated by JetHot previously and the Swaintech coating blows it out of the water. Same price as well.

Thanks again,
    Mike
    I really wish I got mine Swaintech Coated Click here to enlarge

On another note, I hope the transition to Denver has gone well thus far. I have a set of wheels shipping out of Denver today! WOO HOO! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

That's awesome bro. I wish You all the best with the house.

The thing is I get my Supersprint direct from Italy so I will ask them if they can get them coated for me Click here to enlarge

Im waiting on my friend to call me back about the Staffy puppy he has for sale. Click here to enlarge

THEN come the headers lol.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good luck with the headers Ejaz! If there is any place in Europe that coats headers/automotive parts like swaintech... I would highly recommend it.

New house went into contract yesterday in Denver with a close date of Sept. 21st. NV home closes on Aug. 30th. Fingers crossed...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good luck with the headers Ejaz! If there is any place in Europe that coats headers/automotive parts like swaintech... I would highly recommend it.

New house went into contract yesterday in Denver with a close date of Sept. 21st. NV home closes on Aug. 30th. Fingers crossed...
    Thats Awesome Brother! Best of luck. I'll speak to SS once they get back from Holiday. I will be doing a local GB for SS parts so once thats done then the headers will come with that. Im not in a hurry as its too hot right now any way
    Click here to enlarge