Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    ..........Hell i would have splurged for a DCT trans if a proven upgraded clutch pack solutions exists.....
    Based on your statement you are aware that a clutch pack does exist however not proven on the DCT 335iS ?

http://www.sspperformance.com/sub-ca...ransmission--/

Hopefully I will be working on a proven solution. I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work since the DCT referenced with SSP is the same DCT on both M3 and 335iS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For those who were asking for logs with throttle. Maybe we can get this thread back on subject.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    Based on your statement you are aware that a clutch pack does exist however not proven on the DCT 335iS ?

http://www.sspperformance.com/sub-ca...ransmission--/

Hopefully I will be working on a proven solution. I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work since the DCT referenced with SSP is the same DCT on both M3 and 335iS
    True, but torque breaks $#@!, and torque is not what supercharged M3's make, and 335is arent pushing the limits on power, and it costs like 4grand, and by the time i've spent all this money on my 335is to get to this power level, i would seriously be wondering why i didnt choose a different platform.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Couldnt disagree with you more. With a DCT, you can focus on only feathering the throttle. Who the hell cuts a sub 2.0 60 ft with a FBO N54 MT by just dumping the clutch on street tires? It takes surgical precision to cut a decent 60 ft time on street tires, with a MT when your making decent power. I've been working on a proper launch technique for my car ever since i owned it, i either smoke the clutch, smoke the tires or bog. Rarely have i gotten any kind of decent launch and certainly not with record setting 60 ft times.
    It isn't easy with the manual either but you have more control over the clutch.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ERM324 Click here to enlarge
    Its actually significantly easier to cut a good 60ft time with a 6speed than with a DCT from my experience. Unless you have slicks (properly heated) and use LC (given it works successfully), DCT is an absolute $#@! to get off the line. There is a reason there is only 1 supercharged S65 (VAC E92 M3) that has ran an exceptional ET in the 1/4 mile while many others with similar and even more power cannot break into the 10's. The DCT is not good for the 1/4 mile, but it is great on roll on runs.
    I really like the DCT for the 1/4 mile. Personally, I believe it is the best performance option as far as the available BMW transmissions are concerned.

Once I had it dialed in, 1.7X 60 foots were no problem with just bolt on's. It is just a matter of getting a technique down that works for the setup. It's not really all that different than finding what launch rpm and clutch application works for the manual.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I really like the DCT for the 1/4 mile. Personally, I believe it is the best performance option as far as the available BMW transmissions are concerned.

Once I had it dialed in, 1.7X 60 foots were no problem with just bolt on's. It is just a matter of getting a technique down that works for the setup. It's not really all that different than finding what launch rpm and clutch application works for the manual.
    +1
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

This is why I think it's easier to learn how to launch a DCT. You only have to train one foot whereas you have to train both for a MT. My right foot is easier to train than my left :/
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    This is why I think it's easier to learn how to launch a DCT. You only have to train one foot whereas you have to train both for a MT. My right foot is easier to train than my left :/
    but the left foot on the dct is controlled by the dme, and it doesnt know or want you to do what your trying to do, so unless you have mastered The Force, its a guessing game

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Couldnt disagree with you more. With a DCT, you can focus on only feathering the throttle. Who the hell cuts a sub 2.0 60 ft with a FBO N54 MT by just dumping the clutch on street tires? It takes surgical precision to cut a decent 60 ft time on street tires, with a MT when your making decent power. I've been working on a proper launch technique for my car ever since i owned it, i either smoke the clutch, smoke the tires or bog. Rarely have i gotten any kind of decent launch and certainly not with record setting 60 ft times.
    You obviously have no idea what it takes to properly launch a dct or a mt for that matter. It's exactly the opposite, mt's simply focus on feathering the throttle and dumping the clutch while a dct has to feather and then time a computer delayed response. Myself and many others have cut 2.0 and below 60' times on street tires by simply finding the sweet spot of specific tire traction and then dumping the clutch, it's not complicated at all.

You say you're not a drag racer at all yet speak like you're an expert on the subject
    Click here to enlarge
    '07 E90 MT Sports Package l FBO l RB Turbos l JB4 G5 with MHD E85 BEF l N20 MAP Sensor l MMP Inlets l Custom Exhaust l BMS Short Shifter l NLS & 2-Step l MFactory 3.46 LSD l 335is Clutch with MFactory SMFW l Walbro 450

Best 1/4 ET: 11.4
    Best 1.4 Trap: 127.7

'08 E60 MT Fully Loaded l JB4 G5 with BB Pump BEF l BMS DCI l 335is Clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    but the left foot on the dct is controlled by the dme, and it doesnt know or want you to do what your trying to do, so unless you have mastered The Force, its a guessing game
    And that's why it's harder, it's a guessing game with the DME whereas on an mt it's all mechanical and very simple
    Click here to enlarge
    '07 E90 MT Sports Package l FBO l RB Turbos l JB4 G5 with MHD E85 BEF l N20 MAP Sensor l MMP Inlets l Custom Exhaust l BMS Short Shifter l NLS & 2-Step l MFactory 3.46 LSD l 335is Clutch with MFactory SMFW l Walbro 450

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by prelude2perfect Click here to enlarge
    You obviously have no idea what it takes to properly launch a dct or a mt for that matter. It's exactly the opposite, mt's simply focus on feathering the throttle and dumping the clutch while a dct has to feather and then time a computer delayed response. Myself and many others have cut 2.0 and below 60' times on street tires by simply finding the sweet spot of specific tire traction and then dumping the clutch, it's not complicated at all.

You say you're not a drag racer at all yet speak like you're an expert on the subject
    I'm beginning to think that you have no idea how to launch a manual. LOL. The best times with a manual come from slipping the clutch to a degree, not just dumping it. This is what seperates the men from the boys when it comes from drag racing a manual. Not to mention "dumping the clutch" causes too much shock to the drivetrain and tends to break things, you have to preload. If you've cut sub 2.0 on standard street tires at FBO power levels using the dump the clutch and feather the throttle method i'm damn impressed, and i hope your not mistaking MT ET Streets for what i consider normal street tires.....

So where are all the time slips? I've combed over dragtimes, a few guys have gotten sub 2.0 60 ft times on street tires, most are running drag radials, and the majority of the guys that are running street tire 6MT's are above 2.0.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by prelude2perfect Click here to enlarge
    And that's why it's harder, it's a guessing game with the DME whereas on an mt it's all mechanical and very simple
    Using launch control makes it far less of a guessing game.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

The best times with a manual come from slipping the clutch to a degree, not just dumping it. This is what seperates the men from the boys when it comes from drag racing a manual.
    You have a point here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm beginning to think that you have no idea how to launch a manual. LOL. The best times with a manual come from slipping the clutch to a degree, not just dumping it. This is what seperates the men from the boys when it comes from drag racing a manual. Not to mention "dumping the clutch" causes too much shock to the drivetrain and tends to break things, you have to preload. If you've cut sub 2.0 on standard street tires at FBO power levels using the dump the clutch and feather the throttle method i'm damn impressed, and i hope your not mistaking MT ET Streets for what i consider normal street tires.....

So where are all the time slips? I've combed over dragtimes, a few guys have gotten sub 2.0 60 ft times on street tires, most are running drag radials, and the majority of the guys that are running street tire 6MT's are above 2.0.

I agree that slipping the clutch a bit will help your launch, what I was trying to get across is that a MT can get a better 60' simply by feathering the throttle and dumping the clutch. Honestly, on street tires I pretty much dump the clutch since I'm never launching at a very high rpm and slipping the clutch will usually cause me to spin the tires too much. On DR's I definitely slip the clutch a bit at about 5k rpms to get that 1.7x 60'. I have a slip laying around from a couple weeks ago where I cut a 2.0 60' on Michelin PSS's without hardly any practice. I gaurantee I could pull a sub 2.0 on those tires with enough practice. And please don't try to educate me on preloading, I always preload.

Not everybody cares enough to upload all their timeslips onto dragtimes. I'll upload mine when it has some type of record that's been broken.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Using launch control makes it far less of a guessing game.
    I totally agree but to get a really good launch you can't use launch control. To use launch control you have to be in sports + mode which keeps traction control on. There's another way to do it, which my friend explained to me, and it is very complicated.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I totally agree but to get a really good launch you can't use launch control. To use launch control you have to be in sports + mode which keeps traction control on. There's another way to do it, which my friend explained to me, and it is very complicated.
    Weird, in the M3 to use it traction control has to be off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

You can use LC with traction completely off and be able to feather the launch.

1. Hold the Brake in
    2. Put the car into S Mode (Not M or D modes)
    3. Turn the sport button on
    4. Turn DCS completely OFF
    5. Floor the gas pedal to engage the kick down quickly (keep flooring it)
    6. release the brake (If you prolong holding the brake the LC will disengage)

The car will roll a little then the RPM will jump to 2500 and off you go

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Would you all agree that it's easier to learn to drag a DCT than a MT if you're new to both?
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Would you all agree that it's easier to learn to drag a DCT than a MT if you're new to both?
    no

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

no
    Pretty sure my GF could drag a DCT and wouldn't be able to even get off the line with a MT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Of course you know I am going to say, No Click here to enlarge . I have 23 years of MT experience under my belt, and 11 months of DCT experience and still learning.

Its like analog vs digital to me.

Pretty sure my GF could drag a DCT and wouldn't be able to even get off the line with a MT.
    and I am pretty sure if I had a month to coach my wife in a MT 335iS she would all day long destroy your GF in a DCT 335iS on the drag
    Last edited by BuraQ; 07-13-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    You can use LC with traction completely off and be able to feather the launch.

1. Hold the Brake in
    2. Put the car into S Mode (Not M or D modes)
    3. Turn the sport button on
    4. Turn DCS completely OFF
    5. Floor the gas pedal to engage the kick down quickly (keep flooring it)
    6. release the brake (If you prolong holding the brake the LC will disengage)

The car will roll a little then the RPM will jump to 2500 and off you go
    In this method (S mode), are you saying the RPM will automatically *fall* to 2500 from 5XXX after releasing the brake and then it launches?

In your previous method (which I've tried--M mode, short press DTC) you would manually let the RPMs fall to 2500 before releasing the brake and pressing the gas down to just above the kick-down.

I saw a video of a DCT M3 where they were in M mode and it appeared that you could keep the shifter pushed forward while flooring the gas to get into launch mode. They then simply let go of the shifter and it launched. There was no mention of holding the brake at all. Can someone with an M3 confirm this? If this is an M3 method, has anyone tried this in an iS or 135 DCT?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

i bet she cant figure out how to put a dct into gear without you telling her first

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

i bet she cant figure out how to put a dct into gear without you telling her first
    But she can't put a MT into gear without me telling her either Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by x3791m Click here to enlarge
    In this method (S mode), are you saying the RPM will automatically *fall* to 2500 from 5XXX after releasing the brake and then it launches?

In your previous method (which I've tried--M mode, short press DTC) you would manually let the RPMs fall to 2500 before releasing the brake and pressing the gas down to just above the kick-down.

I saw a video of a DCT M3 where they were in M mode and it appeared that you could keep the shifter pushed forward while flooring the gas to get into launch mode. They then simply let go of the shifter and it launched. There was no mention of holding the brake at all. Can someone with an M3 confirm this? If this is an M3 method, has anyone tried this in an iS or 135 DCT?

This is correct. With an M3+DCT - with DSC (traction/stability control) off - and are in the most aggressive manual mode (S6), when fully stopped - you press the shifter forward. A yellow flag will show on the dash board - and on the infotainment/navigation screen, you will see the banner say something along the lines of "Launch control ready". While still holding the shifter forward, you depress the gas - it will hold the RPMs at a certain amount.

You can then optionally adjust this amount by using the MPH +/- on the cruise control stalk. I usually just leave it at default, but my tires aren't as sticky as say PSSs... Also, you can hold the car still by "lightly" (cannot stress that enough) pressing the brake pedal. The car has a tendency to creep forward from the spinning engine - but LC will be disabled if you depress the brake past a certain point... You can feel the point in the brake pedal - play around with it in a parking lot to see what I mean. When the light turns off, you went too far - and need to start over.

You then let the shifter go - the car then launches. It will shift for you - even though it's in manual mode - until the brake is depressed, the throttle is lifted, or you shift yourself.

Not sure if there is a difference between the logic on the M3 and the x35i DCT - I would imagine it's very similar as it's same transmission.

Hope that helps.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast