Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Thumbs up COBB V402 Alpha maps, Alternative Fuels R&D, Cooling system calibration...

Wanted to give you guys a heads up about some cool new stuff going on at PTF on the Cobb AccessTuner front. @dzenno and I have the awesome privilege of working with the guys at Cobb. Obviously the BMW DME gurus at Cobb (Rob, Josh, Jason) are the ones doing all the heavy lifting in the DME. On our end we're calibrating and providing feedback in the R&D lifecycle from the ATP calibrator/tuner point of view by testing it on the dyno, street and track along with pro tuning services we started recently.

First thing, V402 Alpha maps. Still not for public consumption but should be available in Beta form to those interested in trying them out very soon. Most important feature in v402 is changes that dial out boost oscillations a few of you have experienced and reported in your rides. We will be using V402 maps as our base maps for all of our custom pro tunes going forward.

Second, alternative fuels research & development. This one is my personal favourite Click here to enlarge Alternative fuels (such as E85 and especially meth) are hard to ignore on this or any FI platform today and work is being done on that front to extend the support in tuning that AccessTuner software provides when it comes to properly calibrating these fuels to work on the N54 platform (e.g. mixture codes, etc. that some of you reported). There is no ETA on this work but things are looking very promising!

Last but not least, PTF has gotten quite a few requests for custom pro tunes from road course enthusiasts and quite often we keep hearing, even with twin oil coolers, they are limping at the track and are looking for further cooling features, in this case software. Cobb's working on adding cooling system calibration capabilities into AccessTuner software that should add additional calibration ability for those pushing their cars at the road courses. Details of this are still in the works but its in the pipe and its pretty exciting.

Any questions or help related to tuning with your current ATR, reviewing datalogs, etc. let us know and we'll do our best to help both locally and on bimmerboost

Jake

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm excited.

Click here to enlarge Spoiler:  
    Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Loving the feedback @nafoo Click here to enlarge keep it comin' brother
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Jake -- My b for not giving you credit on the idiots forum.... Any guess-timates what an FBO 335i would put out with E85?
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I was under the impression that it doesn't matter what base map you start with, when protuned it's a custom map anyway...is this true? Like if someone gets protuned using a base map of v3.02 vs. V4.02 will it be any different?
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I was under the impression that it doesn't matter what base map you start with, when protuned it's a custom map anyway...is this true? Like if someone gets protuned using a base map of v3.02 vs. V4.02 will it be any different?
    you always want the latest stuff to start from when tuning, it simplifies things in the long run

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Jake -- My b for not giving you credit on the idiots forum.... Any guess-timates what an FBO 335i would put out with E85?
    in NJ huh, where abouts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

good stuff here!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

THIS IS SOOOO EXCITING! cant wait for the final releases. Keep up the great work guys!!
    08 335i | Space Gray | Burl Walnut Wood Trim | Sport pkg | Premium Pkg | LOGIC7 | Navi | Comfort Access

| COBB | Injen DCI | Active Autowerke | Sonic Tuning | E92 Lighting | ER | HKS | BMS |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Maps contain calibration updates that are found in each release. On the end user end it is important to always use the most recent available public released map.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pho_e92 Click here to enlarge
    THIS IS SOOOO EXCITING! cant wait for the final releases. Keep up the great work guys!!
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dfv2 Click here to enlarge
    good stuff here!!!
    Thanks guys. To be honest, I'm as excited as you are! I know I've waited for this sort of work to be done on this platform, from inside the DME, for quite a while now.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    in NJ huh, where abouts?
    Morristown Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Thanks guys. To be honest, I'm as excited as you are! I know I've waited for this sort of work to be done on this platform, from inside the DME, for quite a while now.
    Dzenno -- the vishnu minions recently posted a dyno that's showing they got 415 WHP/430 WTQ on a 50:50 blend of E85 + E91 using just the PROcede + DCI. Thoughts on what a ProTuned Map on an FBO can get?? I'm mixing 20% E85 (~3 gallons on a full tank) and the butt dyno was saying the car was pulling harder on my OTS Stage 2+ Aggressive map
    Last edited by benzy89; 07-08-2012 at 02:06 PM.

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Dzenno -- the vishnu minions recently posted a dyno that's showing they got 415 WHP/430 WTQ on a 50:50 blend of E85 + E91 using just the PROcede + DCI. Thoughts on what a ProTuned Map on an FBO can get?? I'm mixing 20% E85 (~3 gallons on a full tank) and the butt dyno was saying the car was pulling harder on my OTS Stage 2+ Aggressive map
    @benzy89, between Cobb and Procede (or other piggies), power wise I can say for certain there wouldn't be a HUGE difference in peak power, although I'd predict that Cobb would be able to make a larger delta in with/without E85 and here's my assumption (not facts yet):

The one thing on the Cobb end that provides an advantage is where the short term fuel trims will be offset from on high boost (load) & timing on Cobb vs the piggies. With Cobb and programmed high load targets you're not working off of 34% STFTs that are offset from stock loads and DI (i.e. leaner) AFRs. You're starting at an already established load level that the DME knows about, richer AFR targets, AND THEN you have +34% in STFTs on top of that, so naturally more fuel system room/capacity to start with. Hopefully that makes sense..

A true and clear advantage in making power should be evident once alternative fuel R&D is finished by digging through the DME further, unlocking more tables and possibly additional logic. I'll go out on a limb and say that IF it ends up working out as we all hope I'd say fueling an N54 with 100% E85 (provided hardware is reliable enough to run it and doesn't clog up/leak/etc) will provide considerably more power than a standalone piggy ever will/can due to the sheer nature of fueling control.

At PTF we've already done some street testing with E85 mixes (Jake, not me) with some great results in timing advance and minimal to no timing retard on relatively high boost and stock turbos. We'll see how it goes and keep you guys updated as we go. At the moment we've got a couple custom local and etunes we're working on for a few people so on our end that's what's keeping us busy, good times!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Morristown
    morristown like rt 38 /cherry hill area?

oh boy, get tuned and come on out to play! :burnrubber:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    morristown like rt 38 /cherry hill area?

oh boy, get tuned and come on out to play! :burnrubber:
    No no, Morristown like Morris County up north (where 287 & 24 intersect). I work in Trenton though so I'd def be up for some "highway debauchery" in the Cherry Hill area one day (or where ever you're at). How's your M?? I've been around too many S/C M3s that I'm thinking I might need to make the jump -- the S65 exhaust note is addictive Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

the S65 exhaust note is addictive
    That's about all the S65's got going for it

....juuust kidding Click here to enlarge or am I?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I just ate a gorgeous e92 m3 for lunch, owner hated it. I mean it sounded good until I was jogging past him to let him hear that god awful n54 note.

Anyways Dz, I'm looking at the cobb 4.02 1M maps. Translated them to IJE0S and flashed to see if the "oscillation fixes" did anything, and I saw some "software cooling" in the guise of more aggressive timing retard for ECT and IAT. Kinda silly. Plus the wgdc table fixes (which are thoroughly changes from any previous maps I've seen) turned my turbos back into air machine guns. Terrible map for my car at least, do you think the 1M maps are specific to any 1M hardware or rom logic?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I just ate a gorgeous e92 m3 for lunch, owner hated it. I mean it sounded good until I was jogging past him to let him hear that god awful n54 note.

Anyways Dz, I'm looking at the cobb 4.02 1M maps. Translated them to IJE0S and flashed to see if the "oscillation fixes" did anything, and I saw some "software cooling" in the guise of more aggressive timing retard for ECT and IAT. Kinda silly. Plus the wgdc table fixes (which are thoroughly changes from any previous maps I've seen) turned my turbos back into air machine guns. Terrible map for my car at least, do you think the 1M maps are specific to any 1M hardware or rom logic?
    Not sure if you we have the same 4.02 maps as I don't see that timing retard change. I've actually based a couple custom maps off of 402 already and have had nothing but positive feedback so far. Obviously we have our table changes in there but the PID tables for instance we haven't touched already and I was very surprised how well the same tables work for stock, RB and TD turbos across the board. Just my 2c

Are you sure you have the very latest 402? How did you manage to open a 1M map on your ATR? Isn't it a different ROM than IJE0S?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I have the brand new IKB0S 1M 4.02 Stg2+ map. I have ATR for every ROM and I open them up side by side to compare and contrast what cobb is doing between roms and releases.

This is a screenie of the WGDC base table, do we have the same revision..?
    Click here to enlarge

and it's behavior on my setup:
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Dfv2, the 1M stuff is tuned differently than the other N54 files. Make sure you try out the non-1M 402 files before you make a judgement and feel free to give us feedback. Our alpha testers and our in-house testing showed massive improvement with the 402 maps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    Dfv2, the 1M stuff is tuned differently than the other N54 files. Make sure you try out the non-1M 402 files before you make a judgement and feel free to give us feedback. Our alpha testers and our in-house testing showed massive improvement with the 402 maps.
    Hey josh, was wondering if you've ever investigated the cause of 6AT timing flatlining (timing goes negative immediately after a 3-4 or 4-5 upshift).

I reported the issue to rob back in the day, but I don't think he could ever replicate it.

Cliffnotes:

V301 Stage2+FMIC only does it between 6000-6500 rpm, V401 did it no matter where I shifted. The main difference was fueling as the MAF fix was incorporated in between those revisions which lead me to believe its something fuel related.

Have you ever seen examples of this and have you ever found the cause? Thanks in advance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

I'll check with Rob to see if he ever duplicated the issue. Do you see any logged knock events at those times? I know with the sensitive knock sensors sometimes other noise can set them off during a shift, which then makes the DME pull timing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    I'll check with Rob to see if he ever duplicated the issue. Do you see any logged knock events at those times? I know with the sensitive knock sensors sometimes other noise can set them off during a shift, which then makes the DME pull timing.
    Yes, the car shows major timing corrections post shift (7.88 degree correction in the impacted cylinders, usually 1, 3, 4). Oddly this is only on the 3-4 shift, the 4-5 shift appears to have a different set point as timing recovers to 0 degrees post shift with no corrections.

Oddly,I never had any issues before the software update. I think I had IJC0S before the update to IJE0S. Guessing BMW may have upped the sensitivity on the knock sensors on the later versions if that's the case? Rob mentioned that being the case as well in the past.

V401 showed 3.38 degree dropouts in the impacted cylinders but I had other issues with that revision, mostly with boost control so I can't say if it was fixed or not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Josh@Cobb - Just PM'ed you to try this 4.02 mapping, I'm extremely interested in how/why it differs from a 1M when it comes to WGDC tables.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

PM replied.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Gents, the 4.02 mapping is legit, SILKY smooth boost. Thanks guys, I definitely jumped the gun on those 1M tables.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Gents, the 4.02 mapping is legit, SILKY smooth boost. Thanks guys, I definitely jumped the gun on those 1M tables.
    Click here to enlarge told ya!
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast