Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    158
    Rep Points
    243.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    Fun with Autodesk: N54 exhuast Manifold

    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge


    Hey guys, it's official. I have started a upgraded twin kit for the n54. Here is a quick model I made. It's a log manifold, but with collector aspirationsClick here to enlarge. The real manifold will feature an equal length cylinder 2/4. It would take me about an hour more to have modeled it that way, and I am done for today. It is a T25 flange, cast iron, weigh about 9lbs. It lofts from the stock 1.275 diameter to 1.75 diameter, and, it will flow pretty well, a lot better than the stock manifold which is hollow. I am going to build the tooling by hand, so am starting this while my CNC machine is on order.

    Here are the rules: It will be cast from Iron, stainless is just as heavy and more expensive, I have no idea when I will be done, I have no idea what it will cost (but it will be reasonable bc I can cast just about everything), this is a huge project, so be patient, it wont be aluminum because it sucks as an exhaust manifold material. It will change from this model, for example the flange is just a generic rectangle, this is just a pallet to get my ideas out, so I understand if you guys want input on the design. Let the debate begin.Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    158
    Rep Points
    243.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Oh ya, there will be two of them,lol

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,684
    Rep Points
    3,343.8
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    Sweet! Great progress Mat!
    Click here to enlarge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,798
    Rep Points
    2,567.6
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    26


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Sweet Jesus!

    So what can we call this kit? The MORKINATOR!
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,663
    Rep Points
    2,215.1
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Yes Reputation No
    wow sick dude!
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT


    Click here to enlarge


    E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!


    Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

    Click here to enlarge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    178
    Rep Points
    180.5
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    It looks really sexy!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Downey, Ca
    Posts
    2,066
    Rep Points
    2,787.2
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Yes Reputation No
    Wowzers!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,798
    Rep Points
    2,567.6
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    26


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,927
    Rep Points
    1,376.8
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mat Morkin Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge


    Hey guys, it's official. I have started a upgraded twin kit for the n54. Here is a quick model I made. It's a log manifold, but with collector aspirationsClick here to enlarge. The real manifold will feature an equal length cylinder 2/4. It would take me about an hour more to have modeled it that way, and I am done for today. It is a T25 flange, cast iron, weigh about 9lbs. It lofts from the stock 1.275 diameter to 1.75 diameter, and, it will flow pretty well, a lot better than the stock manifold which is hollow. I am going to build the tooling by hand, so am starting this while my CNC machine is on order.

    Here are the rules: It will be cast from Iron, stainless is just as heavy and more expensive, I have no idea when I will be done, I have no idea what it will cost (but it will be reasonable bc I can cast just about everything), this is a huge project, so be patient, it wont be aluminum because it sucks as an exhaust manifold material. It will change from this model, for example the flange is just a generic rectangle, this is just a pallet to get my ideas out, so I understand if you guys want input on the design. Let the debate begin.Click here to enlarge
    Looks good for a first draft. I believe the angles of the primaries at the turbo end will get narrower when you'll have a chance to put more time on this. Also, interesting to see to which position you will set the turbos.

    Are those inner diameters? Quite an increase. Bigger ID than stock is better, but wouldn't it be safer to be a bit closer to the stock diameter? I believe you'll work on exhaust ports as well to match them a bit better to the increased diameter.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Points
    1,149.6
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Are you sure that manifold will fit within the bay envelope alloctaed for the turbos?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    158
    Rep Points
    243.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Are you sure that manifold will fit within the bay envelope alloctaed for the turbos?
    They are the same width and hight as the stock manifold, so ya.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    158
    Rep Points
    243.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Sweet Jesus!

    So what can we call this kit? The MORKINATOR!
    I named the intake manifold "Project Masher" which is a combination of my kids names, Mady and Asher. I think this one will be called "project Desire" after my wife Desiree.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,927
    Rep Points
    1,376.8
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mat Morkin Click here to enlarge
    They are the same width and hight as the stock manifold, so ya.
    Keeping it this way would get this done rather quickly. On the other hand there is no limit on how much time could be used on planning and fine tuning - other than the urgency to get to enjoy the fruits of it...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    486
    Rep Points
    540.2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    158
    Rep Points
    243.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Ya, the manutia of flange hole location, runner angle and theory take up a lot of time. Building a manifold is the easy part, I'm freaking out about down pipes, but I'll get it.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Points
    1,149.6
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Oh, good stuff. Looked bigger. For downpipes, in my experience it may be easier to fab the downpipes on the car first, and CMM it after for production. If you dont have the subframe .prt files, I know how difficult it can be to CAD blindly.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    81
    Rep Points
    71.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    My Son's middle name is Asher.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Points
    2,896.3
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    29


    Yes Reputation No
    Any way you can attempt to make a merge collector? That really helps improve the flow characteristics of log style manifolds.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    i like the naming convention. it's always nice to see a family man with the passion for cars/performance like you. props and +rep to OP.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,648
    Rep Points
    -165.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    i like the naming convention. it's always nice to see a family man with the passion for cars/performance like you. props and +rep to OP.
    +1

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    158
    Rep Points
    243.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Oh, good stuff. Looked bigger. For downpipes, in my experience it may be easier to fab the downpipes on the car first, and CMM it after for production. If you dont have the subframe .prt files, I know how difficult it can be to CAD blindly.
    You are correct. I am actually going to build the kit from the DP's forward. I have to cast a stainless turbine port that will loft from the Garrett flange to a v-band. I REALLY want to be able to utilize existing DP's so I don't have to come up with that solution,and the kit will cost less, but this is an aftermarket turbo kit so the person who wants this won't mind a little change.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Points
    1,149.6
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Awesome. Loving the development.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    One step at a time people. Let's see the intake manifold delivered first before we blow our wads over computer generated models.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    917.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    One step at a time people. Let's see the intake manifold delivered first before we blow our wads over computer generated models.
    +1
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    158
    Rep Points
    243.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    One step at a time people. Let's see the intake manifold delivered first before we blow our wads over computer generated models.
    Ha, the prototype for the turbo kit will be done b4 the intake manifold. I can build the tooling for the turbo kit by hand, the intake manifold will be a complicated mold bc of the way I have set the parting line. That is why I am waiting to cut the tooling on the CNC. The 4g63 manifold I made took about 40 hours for me to just build the tooling, that was after work, on Saturdays, after church on Sunday... It sucked. It would be twice that amount of time for the N54 bc of the angle. The CNC machine will cut that out in about 5 hours. It looks like I am taking on two large projects at one time, but I am not. When the intake manifold 3d model is done, I will shelve it until September. In the mean time, I can build the turbo kit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •