Close

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Since you are going to have a lot of power having the GTX's, you'd need to get a very even delivery across the cylinders, not only for air, but also to get the meth evenly distributed and thus having both banks with decent AFRs. Developing great stuff takes a lot of time.
    Looks like I am going to buy a case of diet dr. Pepper and coffee and go Autodesk benging this weekend. Any one want to donate the case of DDP?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    It will be worth it trust me, also your PM's are all blank, I am not sure what is going on but they are not showing up with any text.
    He's likely posting within quote tags. Needs to delete the info in quick reply and post blank so to speak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Ya, my ipad was not scrolling down, I was just posting where it had a curser.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Okay, I worked on a model today, should have it done Friday. Here is the thing, the abrupt steps horizontally will be tapered out, that is on the top and bottom of the plenum, side to side will have a broader transition. but I can get it close. Three hours of work and I have this to show for it:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

That's great work mat, that is exactly what you gotta do. Taper everything from the TB directly, no steps. That's not bad for 3 hours of work IMO it would take me about the same time and I'm nasty with CAD.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

No, that took me about 5 minutes...I dumped about three other designs in the process before I got that..haha.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Hah I am assuming you didnt start it fromt scratch, just re-used the flange and runners geometry and play with the plenum.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Ya, when I build the wood model to test fitment in the engine bay, I will then use that, with my port measurements off the head to build the actual model, then tooling. So technically this is still the rough draft.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

if you are going to cast the manifold, oblige yourself to look into smooth sand for low surface roughness. Absolute roughnesses for good low friction flow is somewhere under 0.000125". Find out with your casting supplier what type of surface roughness they can offer with cast aluminum, the performance gains are in the details my friend.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

In the beginning it will be sand cast, but I want to get to the point where I can make it shell mold which will make it slick as a babies bottom. In the meen time I am going to get this thing that looks like a car buffer...that power ball thing. It will polish the inside. Ideally if I could find a huge vibrating hopper, I could put in it with some media and it would polish everything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

What I like in a cast made unit, is that it does not look like a bright aluminum hand made tuning piece. With any luck, some stock looking typical under bonnet black paint and a lot of dust and dirt on it, someone not knowing the car might not notice anything with a quick browse.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    It looks like it will be a high temp powder-coated wrinkle black or ceramic coated as an upgrade...still waiting on quotes though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

What an awesome project, keep up the hard work! You guys are making great progress.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Will a custom intake other than what's already on the market have to be developed due to the new location of the TB? Looks like there will be some fitment issues with the current aftermarket intakes.
    Last edited by SJ_1989; 07-31-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    2008 E90 335i 6MT | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS Back End Flash | BMS DCI | BMS DP's | COBB Exhaust | VRSF 7" FMIC | BMS OCC

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

No, DCI will work well, they sit above the throttle body, but I am making a wood model of it this weekend, and we will bolt it to a car to see what, if anything will need to change. Sadly, I do not think I am going to keep all the stock intake mounting locations on the manifold, however, I am going to try to keep the ones that most intake's such as the AFE use as anchors. I'm doing my best to make a bolt on product that will be easy for the end user to use their existing parts...except for a charge pipe...part of the intake manifold kit will be a new shorter charge pipe (it will have a sensor mounting block and popular flanges for blow off valves water meth bung) and couplers, or you can choose to make your own for a reduction in price.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mat Morkin Click here to enlarge
    No, DCI will work well, they sit above the throttle body, but I am making a wood model of it this weekend, and we will bolt it to a car to see what, if anything will need to change. Sadly, I do not think I am going to keep all the stock intake mounting locations on the manifold, however, I am going to try to keep the ones that most intake's such as the AFE use as anchors. I'm doing my best to make a bolt on product that will be easy for the end user to use their existing parts...except for a charge pipe...part of the intake manifold kit will be a new shorter charge pipe (it will have a sensor mounting block and popular flanges for blow off valves water meth bung) and couplers, or you can choose to make your own for a reduction in price.

Any news? Or is there another thread that was started somewhere?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I gave @DBIFU a new revision, he has been busy. I am trying to find a foundry to investment cast the manifold. Basically they cast it out of wax like a big piece of jewelry, but there are no foundries around here that do that, but I have "connections". That method will have minimal prep time, so it should keep the cost of the manifold down. As soon as I get my new CNC machine up and running next month I can cut the mold. I am still on schedule for a late fall early winter prototype. Here is a recent thread to give you an update: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...d-other-things.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

been busy with some personal stuff lately, gimme a little bit and I will get back to you as soon as I can

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    been busy with some personal stuff lately, gimme a little bit and I will get back to you as soon as I can
    No problem as far as the outcome will be great Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

@Mat Morkin @DBFIU

Guys, have you had any time to get forward with the intake design? I think you are very close to get this finalized based on how good it looks already. This intake could help all of us whereas e.g. upgraded turbos wouldn't fit everyone's budget.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    @Mat Morkin @DBFIU

Guys, have you had any time to get forward with the intake design? I think you are very close to get this finalized based on how good it looks already. This intake could help all of us whereas e.g. upgraded turbos wouldn't fit everyone's budget.
    Yes, I have in my possession a phenolic spacer and wood intake manifold model. I'll post pictures tonight.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mat Morkin Click here to enlarge
    Yes, I have in my possession a phenolic spacer and wood intake manifold model. I'll post pictures tonight.
    Great. Phenolic spacer is the kind of attention to detail that separates great products from ok products.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Bump for pictures! @Mat Morkin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Any update on this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    Any update on this?
    Looks like this project has been dumped Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast