Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

extrude honing

what do you guys think of it? maybe doing the head
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Never heard of honing a head. Do you mean your cylinders?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Okay, found it. I wonder what the cost would be as opposed to a full port & polish.

http://www.extrudehone.com/auto/auto-performance.php

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Back in the 90's we used extrude honing alot for heads and intakes. Just keep in mind that it can not change a bad design into something extreme. It only removes small amounts of material and smoothes things out. On 5.0's you would see gains of 20-30 hp if you did heads and intake.

The flip side, IF, you find a good porter, he can get much more than that IF he knows what he is doing.

Bottom line, YES it works, just don't expect miracles here.

PS: To the poster about honing. YES he meant the head as extrude honing is an abrasive paste that they push through the I/E runners MANY times to smooth out the passages.

They have a facility here in western PA out near Greensburg, exit 7 on the turnpike if I remeber correctly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    Back in the 90's we used extrude honing alot for heads and intakes. Just keep in mind that it can not change a bad design into something extreme. It only removes small amounts of material and smoothes things out. On 5.0's you would see gains of 20-30 hp if you did heads and intake.

The flip side, IF, you find a good porter, he can get much more than that IF he knows what he is doing.

Bottom line, YES it works, just don't expect miracles here.

PS: To the poster about honing. YES he meant the head as extrude honing is an abrasive paste that they push through the I/E runners MANY times to smooth out the passages.

They have a facility here in western PA out near Greensburg, exit 7 on the turnpike if I remeber correctly.
    Nicely explained.

With the quality of BMW heads in general it will likely take a high quality expert in the field to see anything near 30 horses. Should be easier on the n54 though. If anyone pays attention to the Honda world where every last horse counts in their NA motors check out www.theoldone.com to learn a ton and see some quality head work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

It's decent but on heads that have been extrude honed vs ported by a GOOD porter there won't be a comparison. Someone who knows what they're doing will be able to fix any factory compromises and get your head to work est for your uses. Btw theoldone is a very good source of work, they're RB heads are very good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I think one can just wait and see what @dzenno porting effort leads to, he has all the baseline dynos needed and it will show if there is gains to be had working on the head.
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I used to port heads etc a long time ago. Polishing any surface vs cast rough type finish (or post-porting) yields only about 1-2% difference in airflow.

Extrude honing cannot selectively remove metal like a human or cnc program maching. It hits everything in a port about equally. It is useful for areas where you cannot reach easily or at all (eg deep inside long curved intake runners) esp if those areas need a volume increase.

EH cost was usually about equal to good street/strip porting but wont provide nearly those results on something like an N54 head.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Like everyone was saying, extrude honing will offer minimal gains compared to a good port job by a professional. Also be careful with extrude honing, the intake port has an inner radius and an outer radius, the inner radius will not have the same amount of material removed as the outer radius because the extrude hone slurry will be moving faster through the port bend on the outer radius. This can screw up your flow characteristics if you over do it.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge