Close

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes the Cobb race map was consistent on my car for the most part. I knew based on launch and shift points what my ET and trap was going to be. 118-119

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    APR has had an upgraded HPFP for years now. I had an APR tuned GLI before my 135 and I decided to swap platforms rather than go upgraded turbo and HPFP.
    not to derail the thread, but the HPFP they have isn't for the TSI motors found in the mk6 and 2008.5 and later Mk5.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Until they get an at-home flasher system I don't see them making much headway in the flash market. That should be their top priority if they care enough to be competitive.
    I agree with that. The fact that I had to send them my DME every time I needed an update was a huge turn-off, although I really liked their flash tune.

Also, they don't support upgraded turbos, which was the main reason I opted out of their tune.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Pro drivers and daily drivers are two different things. I couldnt care less if Berk uses GIAC or a boost controller. I care about results and got the best ones with cobb. As for drivability issues, I had none, not one limp, not one code, not one studder or surge, nothing. My car was as consistent as it was going to get with mulitple 1/4 pulls all withing 1 mph of each other as long as the same map was used.

Good for you! Honestly I am jealous that your car runs so well. Mine and a lot of others do not. Click here to enlarge
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Good for you! Honestly I am jealous that your car runs so well. Mine and a lot of others do not. Click here to enlarge
    On stock turbos Cobb ran near flawlessly for me. Second I got RBs all hell broke loose. JB4s treating me well so far.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    On stock turbos Cobb ran near flawlessly for me. Second I got RBs all hell broke loose. JB4s treating me well so far.

Then I guess my car boost a lot better (stiffer wastegates) compared to the average N54 out there...
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm friends with two of the race teams that switched over from JB3 to GIAC years ago. It's not really about the on track performance. You need to realize these "race cars" are run by shop owners who are looking to maximize their business. GIAC went around and sold all of them a package there they got a free tune for the race car, and the equipment to sell GIAC tunes to customers that come in to their shop. So the cars promote and sell GIAC tuning. That isn't to say GIAC doesn't have a good product. But I'm not sure if everyone understands how the business works.

Not trying to attack you or your business, but was BurgerTuning, Vishnu, Evolve and the rest asleep while this was happening? ..or were they too busy with implementing gauge hijacking at that time?... Seriously though, you can't assume that every shop owner who happens to run a race car chose GIAC because they were the only ones who were offering packaged deals. GIAC has been in this business for over 2 decades now and people know about them delivering quality product with consistent results. I think this has more to do with the choice of tuning of the race teams rather than promotions and marketing...
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Would you mind being more specific? Although this is a bit OT here, but as I also have issues with the RB tuning right now (huge turbo lag, jerky acceleration, when going off the throttle car continues to push for a split second) I'd be interested to know about your problems (as I'm currently trying to diagnose whether it's hardware or tuning related).

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    ... jerky acceleration, when going off the throttle car continues to push for a split second)

Alpina_B3_Lux

Exactly what some of us are seeing with stock turbos as well. Its boost oscillations and generally poor boost/load control.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not trying to attack you or your business, but was BurgerTuning, Vishnu, Evolve and the rest asleep while this was happening? ..or were they too busy with implementing gauge hijacking at that time?... Seriously though, you can't assume that every shop owner who happens to run a race car chose GIAC because they were the only ones who were offering packaged deals. GIAC has been in this business for over 2 decades now and people know about them delivering quality product with consistent results. I think this has more to do with the choice of tuning of the race teams rather than promotions and marketing...
    Like I said it's a business end thing and I doubt most are interested in the inner workings. Everyone makes a bid for it and the company that really wants the business the most gets it. My only point in telling you this is so you understand that just because driving team X runs product Y does not mean product Y is superior to everything else out there. Racing is a business. Now as laloosh said what drivers run on their own cars at the local tracks is much less of a business. Although it does still happen there too with sponsorships, free or discounted parts for public reviews, etc.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Would you mind being more specific? Although this is a bit OT here, but as I also have issues with the RB tuning right now (huge turbo lag, jerky acceleration, when going off the throttle car continues to push for a split second) I'd be interested to know about your problems (as I'm currently trying to diagnose whether it's hardware or tuning related).

Alpina_B3_Lux
    WGDC oscillation at lower RPMs and major overboosting/ throttle closures. This is tuning related that could be fixed with ATR most likely but I was going on 2 months without a proper functioning tune. Hence the JB4 which is performing well other than the fueling challenges.

Also, I do not flatline anymore with the JB4 whereas Cobb I did.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ... just because driving team X runs product Y does not mean product Y is superior to everything else out there....

True and I agree! However the converse is also true: A driving team X will NOT be running product Y if product Y was not performing consistently and reliably. THAT is the point that I am trying to make. Consistency, predictability and reliability is what I am after and GIAC offered more of that than Cobb still does. ...at least for my car that is...
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You think vishnu or burger need BERK? You mention n54 to any car guy and Burger will probabaly come up first, these race teams need them more. As for GIAC, no offense they have no presence in this community compared to big 3. Maybe it was worth it to them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    GIAC also wasn't running custom code in their race map to hit desired boost. Their bandaid to load limit issues was to run excessive timing for the same power output. It works, yes, but it's not what I'd consider the safer approach.

I say to each their own. Just be glad you have multiple options instead of being handcuffed to one tuning solution like other platforms. If GIAC works stick with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    You think vishnu or burger need BERK? You mention n54 to any car guy and Burger will probabaly come up first, these race teams need them more. As for GIAC, no offense they have no presence in this community compared to big 3. Maybe it was worth it to them.

You think GIAC needs BERK? You mention Porsche, Audi, VW, VF Engineering to any car guy and GIAC comes up to mind...

EDIT: Look you guys, I am not trying to instigate anything here. I am very very happy that we have choices in tuning. I had very very high hopes for Cobb, but man, they have serious issues to work out. It gets frustrating that people are getting let down by the tuning... I've spent top dollar on all of my upgrades and I expect nothing else but perfection. Right now, this is not happening. Honestly, I am somewhat disappointed and I've been contemplating of selling my 335i and getting into an M3. That's probably what will end up happening if Cobb does not solve the issue with their next maps and ATR.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You think GIAC needs BERK? You mention Porsche, Audi, VW, VF Engineering to any car guy and GIAC comes up to mind...
    When it comes to BMW, GIAC needs anything they can get if they are interested in the Brand.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Alpina_B3_Lux
    I like the way you speak, I hope you do not put a negative chiptunerssome of that is here

but the issue of refining the rb is more complicated than you sayhere, just going to tell you how beautiful it is and how well it goes, butall you get is going to happen until everything goes correctly you will know only what

or cobb or JB4 has present day are able to tune in and out properlyits potential of turbo rb

ps: I have few negative fall into this post
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carcars Click here to enlarge
    I like the way you speak, I hope you do not put a negative chiptunerssome of that is here

but the issue of refining the rb is more complicated than you sayhere, just going to tell you how beautiful it is and how well it goes, butall you get is going to happen until everything goes correctly you will know only what

or cobb or JB4 has present day are able to tune in and out properlyits potential of turbo rb

ps: I have few negative fall into this post
    It is so cumbersome to figure out wtf you are trying to say. Are you using Google translate? If not, have you tried it?

And I'm not trying to be mean because you seem like you may know what you're talking about. It's just hard to understand.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    WGDC oscillation at lower RPMs and major overboosting/ throttle closures. This is tuning related that could be fixed with ATR most likely but I was going on 2 months without a proper functioning tune. Hence the JB4 which is performing well other than the fueling challenges.

Also, I do not flatline anymore with the JB4 whereas Cobb I did.
    these are my boost oscillations, i have no flatlining of timings. Post leak fix.
    Click here to enlarge
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    It is so cumbersome to figure out wtf you are trying to say. Are you using Google translate? If not, have you tried it?

And I'm not trying to be mean because you seem like you may know what you're talking about. It's just hard to understand.
    Friend does not worry, because of it I speak little, my Englishman is very bad and I use google translator what I want to say, it is that not cobb not jb4 are capable of tuning and extracting quite the power that the turbochargers have rb
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The way I see it with Cobb, is that they don't set out have maps that are perfect for every car. They are geared more towards setting you up with a good running base map to that still has a lot left in it. Just my opinion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had giac stg 1 and it ran flawlessly, very nice tune. I bought all the FBO supporting mods, bought giac stg 2 and had problems from day one. The car had surging issues, ran terrible and giac had no fix for it. They blamed my issues on a boost leak and possible leaky dv's. I bought a awe blowoff valve setup and had the car pressure tested for boost leaks, i found none. I spent a bunch of money looking for phantom boost leaks and giac had no answer. This went on for 6 months....finally i switched to a jb4 to see if it was the giac tune that caused the surging and sure enough...it was the giac tune.

I have since switched to cobb and my car runs great. I don't run the Stg 2 aggressive because imo its to much boost and i'm looking to have my stock turbo's last a bit.

Vass- have you tried cobb stg 2 (not aggressive)? It boosts the same as giac stg 2 (16.5 psi) and still feels faster. I understand you wanting to switch but why not try cobb stg 2 or get it protuned? I'm sure a protuner could easily work out those surging issues you feel and still be faster than giac. Giac is a nice tune but the way they flash the car is annoying, the flash loader is nothing but a map switcher, and thier support is terrible. They never change maps or update anything. They are like a dinan tune with more boost imo. They run well because they are conservative.

I think if you got your car protuned by a cobb authorized shop, you'd be much happier. Plus, even though its taking a while, you know cobb will continue to evolve while giac will stay stagnent.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    vasillalov, don't get a m3, at this point just wait for the new one. The v8 m3 (in stock form) isn't a fast car compared to other cars out there and a tuned 335 runs with one, the new m will crush the current e9x m3. Everyone that buys a m3 and wants to be fast just gets a supercharger but why spend the money when the next gen is right around the corner?
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    vasillalov, don't get a m3, at this point just wait for the new one. The v8 m3 (in stock form) isn't a fast car compared to other cars out there and a tuned 335 runs with one, the new m will crush the current e9x m3. Everyone that buys a m3 and wants to be fast just gets a supercharger but why spend the money when the next gen is right around the corner?
    Say any of that on M3 post and you risk being hung lol... The moment the new m3 comes out...ebay will be flooded with the oh so hailed high revving V8, I am willing to make a bet on that right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    Say any of that on M3 post and you risk being hung lol... The moment the new m3 comes out...ebay will be flooded with the oh so hailed high revving V8, I am willing to make a bet on that right now.
    Thing is i'm not saying the e9x m3 isn't a great car, it is what it is. I've driven one and it handles great, looks sick, but doesn't have the raw speed that is a ton different than a fbo 335. I just think the next gen m3 will be that much better. If you already have a 335 and you've had it for some time like i have, its not really worth it to switch for the current m....
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast