Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

8 out of 8 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

335d DIY piggyback tuning option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys,

So I have been researching available tuning boxes and DDECM re-flash for the US 335d. I donít like the tuning boxes because of the check engine lights you can get if you turn them up to max power. The re-flashes did not really provide more power, cost a lot more and you have to take the car or DME to have it flashed. Being a car guy, I also like to have control of the tuning to try and get the most out of it as each car and location is different.

I did a lot of research on diesel tuning and I believe I have come up with a way for people to tune their own 335d for under $600. I have selected the AEM F/IC (30-1930) piggy back unit as the backbone. Itís a universal off the shelf product that will do almost everything we need to get some more power safely and code free!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-FIC-Univ...ce7f8f&vxp=mtr

Below is the wire schematic I spent a week making. A LOT OF RESEARCH!!! PayPal donation to crazyedfsu@hotmail.com if you like so I can have DPF delete pipes designedÖ..

Click here to enlarge

AEM F/IC 8 manual: http://www.aemelectronics.com/Images...%2030-1930.pdf

So how are we going to control this thing?...................We are making the Digital Diesel Electronic Control Module (DDECM) think everything is normal by manipulating sensors signals!

Fuel rail pressure:
    The FIC will be intercepting the 0-5v signal from the fuel rail pressure sensor to the DDECM. Hint, if you make the DDECM think the pressure is low, it will increase the pressure, giving the engine more fuel. Now, if you go to low, the computer will throw a code because itís monitoring a preset range; one way to add fuel. Read more on MAF sensor signal!

HPFP control valve:
    The FIC will intercept the PWM signal from the DDECM to the HPFP flow control valve. As you increase the pulse width, it increases the fuel rail pressure; another way to add fuel. So if you manipulate the rail pressure sensor signal and HPFP control valve, you can add fuel to the engine and the DDECM will have no idea. Read more on MAF sensor signal!

Boost pressure sensor:
    The FIC will be intercepting the 0-5V signal from the boost pressure sensor to the DDECM. If you change the signal to make the DDECM think the pressure is lower than what it is, it will try to compensate by increasing the PWM pulse width to the boost control solenoid; this will increase the boost pressure.

Frequency based MAF sensor:
    The 335d uses a frequency based MAF sensor to determine engine load. Thankfully the FIC8 has a channel to intercept this type of signal. The F/IC intercepts the frequency signal from the MAF to the DDECM. We can use this to prevent the DDECM from seeing loads greater than what the preset load/torque tables allow by manipulating the frequency the computer sees.

DPF pressure differential sensor:
    You guessed it!! DPF removal with no codes!! The FIC will intercept the 0-5V signal from the DPF diff sensor to the DDECM. You can use the FIC to send a signal to the DDECM making it think the DPF is flowing like new and does not need regeneration. Using the load table, you can vary the signal to mimic the pressure going up and down as you dive. You can also use a simple voltage clamp circuit here too (boost cut defender type setup?).

O2 sensor:
    The FIC can monitor and manipulate the o2 signal to the DDECM.

Exhaust Gas Temperature:
    The FIC can monitor the EGT sensor signal and display it as temperature using the Aux input voltage table. Very important during tuning!

Coolant temp sensor:
    The FIC can monitor the coolant temp sensor signal and display it as temperature using the Analog C input voltage table.

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS):
    The FIC will monitor the 0-5V foot pedal signal to the DDECM and display it as TPS with a range of 0-100%

Sensor ground:
    This ground is not regular ground!! Use the PIN in the diagram.

The rest of the wires to the FIC can be found using 2011 335d wiring diagrams I post below.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh wow. This is making me want a 335d! You should see the craziness down here in the Diesel tuning world with the big trucks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I did a lot of reading on the truck forums too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    While being more elaborate, it basically re-creates the JB product that is available for half the cost?

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_JBD_...ance_chip.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    JB only manipulates the rail pressure sensor and adds fuel because the DDECM makes the pump flow more increasing the fuel pressure. Everyone gets check engine lights because the there is no control of the other sensors. For the money the JBD is great, i just wanted more flexability. This is an option for the DIYer car guy, it's not for everyone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Request for those of you with access to dealer information.

1. I would like to know the voltage to temperature tables for the EGT and coolant temp sensor.
    2. Infomation on the o2 sensor voltage to A/F or lambda would be great!.
    3. MAF freq to load conversion
    4. Boost pressure sensor voltage to PSI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hope somebody helps you out bro. What you are doing for the 335d's is admirable, and I'm sure a lot of diesel guys will jump on this once they find out about this thread. Good job!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not on all the BMW forums so spread the word and maybe we can put our heads together and do some WILD things. We'll start going after those 335i guys!! Upgraded transmission, here i come!.....lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here's a better price on the F/IC 30-1930, $505 shipped

http://www.robearracing.com/pd-aem-f...ntroller-8.cfm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just ordered my F/IC from the website above. It was the best price i could find anywhere.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn TEddie your the man now, I got to give it to you

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks, I just like these type of projects. We're just getting started...........

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is absurdly amazing we have to help him with this. Let's try to help him get his info.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Any information on what the sensor signals are suppose to be will help big time. What i'm going to do is build the base file for eveyone so that it's monitoring all the correct signals but it will not be altering anything. Tuning is up to the end user. I may post up files i create on my car later. Pages from the factory dealer manual may have it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This is absurdly amazing we have to help him with this. Let's try to help him get his info.
    Sticky, do you have any back door dealer contacts that can help Eddie unofficially?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Guys, I need info on part numbers 12 & 13 from this page.

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...ssembly=420472

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It showed up in two days from Cali, and i'm in Florida!! free shipping too!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All,

Hold off if you are planning on experimenting with this, I have an update to the wiring schematic i'll post later. I'm about 60% complete with wiring the AEM in and have been checking all connection before wiring anything. So far the connection to the HPFP flow control has changed. BMW controls the turbine valve, rail pressure regulator and HPFP flow control all at the same time with one PWM pulse. The calculated max current at 100% duty cycle is 1.2A and the AEM spec says the injector output can handle 1.3A so it should be ok.

As for the wiring, it looks really clean. I'll post pics of where i tapped into the power and ground.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok, it's in and works like a champ!!! Can a Moderator set me up so i can edit my original post to make some updates? All i need to do is borrow my buddy's scanner to dial in the temperature sensors so they read correctly. I'll start tuning once i get the base map setup.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    WTF Eddie I got to give you props on this YOU are the God of the 335ds LOL. Wish I could of met you before jumping the RENNtech bandwagon but I am happy with what I got anyway. Bravozulu to you and anyone else helping you

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks, unless you plan to go as far as i'm going, your RENNtech flash was a better option. For the average 335d owner i recommend the JBD, RENNtech or VS options. If you like tinkering with things and have like data, I like this option.

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...nt=MyMovie.mp4

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    All, like most aftermarket mods, do this at your own risk!!!!!

Here is the latest Rev to the wiring schematic.
    There are some wire bundles that you can tap into for Power and GND. Locate the wires with clear rubber boots over them; there is a picture a few posts up of the main switched power connection.
    You’re going to have to cut some of the plastic to get the ECU to fit like mine; it will fit on the other side with no cutting. I did it this way because it seemed like a cleaner option for me.
    I’ll upload a base map for people to use AT THEIR OWN RISK when I get the sensors dialed in.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool project; good luck!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    After further investigation we need to add a unity gain op-amp between the AEM and the EGT, coolant and TPS to make sure the signals to not get altered when tapping into them. Here is the simple fix by using a LM148 chip. I plan to open up the AEM and put the chip inside.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well done! I've been playing with the idea of buying 335d or 330d and upgrading it into 350d and increasing boost. If only the tuning market could get the engine management controlled to enable it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast