Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Potential cause of recent meth fires found?

Hey guys, went to fill my meth today and found something interesting. Usually when I fill up, I'm a little sloppy and end up spilling some or overflowing the tank. Since my meth seemed to run out so quickly this time, I wanted to make sure I was careful not to spill any in an attempt to check for leaks. Sure enough, found water/meth leaking from the filler neck. Interestingly, it is very hard to see due to the accordian shape of the tube. (see pics below of tube being stressed to show break). If you run the WW bottle setup, check your equipment! For the record, my car is an 09/06 build. Five years might be the limit for the filler neck.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    That is probably a fabrication flaw, but very good info and a good inspection point. Your filler neck seems very brittle, especially on the lower part.

This is how I've protected the filler neck. I'll see if I can get the picture inline for once...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

That heatwrap looks like a really good idea. I would imagine the extreme heat cycles the filler neck sees would add to its brittleness over time. I just ordered a new filler neck; I should probably give this a shot. Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Someone on E90poop showed the same type of failure in the last few months. definitely a concern.

My 2c for the fires is meth leaking out on driving manuvers, such as hard right turns and esp if the tube is filled relatively high. The g force of a turn etc causes the fluid horizon to roll which drives it upwards in the filler tube enough to push some out the so-so cap. What happens next is also a guess but basically leads to fire.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Interesting. Thanks for posting.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R1000K3 Click here to enlarge
    That is probably a fabrication flaw, but very good info and a good inspection point. Your filler neck seems very brittle, especially on the lower part.

This is how I've protected the filler neck. I'll see if I can get the picture inline for once...
    Grr.... insert your pics inline!!
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Grr.... insert your pics inline!!
    Let's see if this work Click here to enlarge If it doesn't just tell we how it needs to be done.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by R1000K3; 05-30-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

R1000K3 where did you get the cap from and is it just zip tied over existing filler tube?Very Nice BTW.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R1000K3 Click here to enlarge
    Let's see if this work Click here to enlarge If it doesn't just tell we how it needs to be done.
    Did not heh bit just click insert inline instead...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jzeee037 Click here to enlarge
    R1000K3 where did you get the cap from and is it just zip tied over existing filler tube?Very Nice BTW.
    It is from a fuel jug. The zip ties are there to secure the complete assembly to the fender wall. The parts are firmly press fit together after being treated with a heat gun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Just got my new filler neck & cap in from BM-Dubz of Silver Spring. I'll post pics of something I found interesting/funny/maybeyoudon'tcare when I get home.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Okay, here is a photo of the old cap and new cap side by side (old on left, new on right). It looks like they updated the new caps with a warning symbol. If you look at the second picture, at the lower portion of the cap, it looks like a little flame inside a hazard sign. Windshield washer fluid is typically thought to be non-flammable due to the high water content. I guess BMW is suggesting that even standard WW fluid IS flammable. Or maybe they've been reading the forums and know what we're really using it for LOL.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Ive never seen ww fluid burn ive spilled it all over a hot exhaust manifold on other cars and never even a hint of flash from it.Yeah there on to us.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yeah, the ratio seems to be too week to ignite, especially when we're not dealing with an open flame. I wonder how flammable the fumes are. I don't think the added water would have much impact on the volatility of the fumes released (not sure how volatile meth fumes are, though).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

$#@!, I was filling up straight methanol from the 5gal drum directly into the WW tank (no funnel), spilled all over turbos, manifolds and everything that was around. I still don't know how I'm alive Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I have some time off end of June. Happy to heat sheet meal to test flash point of various mixtures. What's the downpipe surface temp after a pull? I have enough oxygen for probably 20 minutes of burn time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Another interesting find today. My old cap had a little slot on the underside for venting. The new cap does not have this and forms a complete seal.

Anyway, here's my new setup. I added heat wrap to the tube to help reduce the extreme temperature swings that (hopefully) will help protect the longevity of the plastic. I also added a vent tube to the cap and ran it to the drain in the cowl, just in case any fluid pushes out.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Is the new filler tube itself different as well or just the cap?From the pic it looks to be a smaller diameter tube.Looks nice and professional though. I think ill replace mine as well before i get to that point.What was your mileage when you found this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Another interesting find today. My old cap had a little slot on the underside for venting. The new cap does not have this and forms a complete seal.

Anyway, here's my new setup. I added heat wrap to the tube to help reduce the extreme temperature swings that (hopefully) will help protect the longevity of the plastic. I also added a vent tube to the cap and ran it to the drain in the cowl, just in case any fluid pushes out.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...38778607-1.jpg
    Looking good, put some kind of lock on the cap too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jzeee037 Click here to enlarge
    Is the new filler tube itself different as well or just the cap?From the pic it looks to be a smaller diameter tube.Looks nice and professional though. I think ill replace mine as well before i get to that point.What was your mileage when you found this?
    The filler looked identical. My mileage is 74k.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Thanks ordered one yesterday mine isnt cracked but im 72k so im changing it out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

the vent tube method works extremely well to allow vapors to properly vent out. My vent tube is reddish-pink from boost juice venting. It also helps with flow, I've never experienced any flow issue's after adding this tube.
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

A friend at work forwarded me this:

http://www.methanol.org/Health-And-S...l-English.aspx

Five overriding considerations are important when handling methanol:
    Methanol is a flammable, easily ignited liquid that burns and sometimes explodes inair.
    The molecular weight of methanol vapor is marginally greater (denser) than that of air(32 versus 28 grams per mole). As a result, and depending on the circumstances of arelease or spill, methanol liquid will pool and vapor may migrate near the ground andcollect in confined spaces and low-lying areas. It is expected that methanol vapor,being near neutral buoyancy, will dissipate readily from ventilated locations. Do notexpect it to dissipate from non-ventilated locations such as sewers and enclosedspaces. If ignited, methanol vapor can flash back to its source.
    In certain specific circumstances, methanol vapor may explode rather than burn onignition. Methanol containers are subject to Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion
    (BLEVE) when heated externally.

Methanol is a toxin; ingestion of a small amount (between one and two ounces,approximately 30 to 60 milliliters) may cause death; lesser amounts are known tocause irreversible blindness. Do not swallow methanol liquid, do not breathe methanolvapor, do not walk in pooled liquid, and do not allow vapor or liquid to contact skin.Methanol absorbs through the skin and other tissues directly into the blood stream.

Methanol is totally miscible in water and retains its flammability even at very highconcentrations of water. A 75v% water and 25v% methanol solution is considered tobe a flammable liquid. This has important consequences for firefighting.1 Methanol isa chemical solvent, which has important implications for materials selection and also
    for firefighting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

methanol is very dangerous, it's flames are also clear so you won't know when it ignited until something else is already burning.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    methanol is very dangerous, it's flames are also clear so you won't know when it ignited until something else is already burning.
    This is very true. You will, however, get a burning smell before you see smoke/flame.
    -'09 135i MT - Custom 6466 ST - 680whp Click here to enlarge
    -'08 135i AT - 6466 ST - dead
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast