Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 98
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,756
    Rep Points
    31,551.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by encinitas Click here to enlarge
    just purchased a set of supposedly barely used turbos today. I'm thinking about bringing them by my trusted indy shop when I receive them to make sure they are all bueno. I'm a little short on cash now, hopefully in 6 + months I can get going on the RB turbos. There is a lot of great info on these RB threads. However, I'm wondering if anyone on the list to upgrade ( or, even RB and LM) can come up with very on topic "how to go about upgrading the right way thread". Flaming wouldn't be helpful IMHO on this type of thread. It would serve only to distract those of us that really want to only upgrade the turbos with the right information and resources. Just a thought... Maybe it's impossible.
    I don't think anyone wants to flame you for this at all, actually quite interested i nthis.

    Where did you get a set of spare turbos from?

    Really, the right way to upgrade it seems would be to contact Rob Beck and proceed from there.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Points
    1,955.5
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The results really look great on these turbos. What everyone must keep in mind is that with the upgrade the impeller speed is far lower than with stock turbos. So even though the overall gains might only be 50whp over some of the glory runs we have seen of late we are certain that the turbos are working within a safety parameter. The stock turbos that have shown up to 450 will most probably make less and less after each run due to the increase of intake temperature of running them at such high rpm. I would be bold enough to say that these turbos are @490whp are probably spinning at the equivalent speed of the stock turbo at around 15psi.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    i wish i could help and progress forward faster, but its taking some time gathering all the required monitoring and failsafes, then having installed, setting up my own schedule to facilitate it all as well.

    at this point im am more than exstatic with my results and im sure anyone, purchasing any upgrades is going to love it. I just know that this particular brand, cant be beat. I love the fact that i have more power on 93/meth (DD setup) tuning, than most do with the lower level race maps

    if your purchasing oem turbo's for the purpose of sending in as a core, they dont need to be good, my cores all have blown seals, and i still have 2 sets im trying to sell, cheap, and shipping included Click here to enlarge

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,895
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    i wish i could help and progress forward faster, but its taking some time gathering all the required monitoring and failsafes, then having installed, setting up my own schedule to facilitate it all as well.

    at this point im am more than exstatic with my results and im sure anyone, purchasing any upgrades is going to love it. I just know that this particular brand, cant be beat. I love the fact that i have more power on 93/meth (DD setup) tuning, than most do with the lower level race maps

    if your purchasing oem turbo's for the purpose of sending in as a core, they dont need to be good, my cores all have blown seals, and i still have 2 sets im trying to sell, cheap, and shipping included Click here to enlarge
    bold statement man Click here to enlarge. How can you say this one when asr's car already beat your numbers at 20psi on race+meth? either way, i, as a customer, will soon have the same turbos, different bpu's and will see what i dyno on racegas hopefully. if i cant get any and asr doesnt have any it will have to be pump, but either way ill compare numbers. you say you cant be beat, what were your conditions again? ill be dynoing in miami humid summer, but ill have 50/50 w/m to counteract with a lot of cooling Click here to enlarge what percent meth did you use for the dyno? do you use the same for street use? have you found a happy medium?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    bold statement man Click here to enlarge. How can you say this one when asr's car already beat your numbers at 20psi on race+meth? either way, i, as a customer, will soon have the same turbos, different bpu's and will see what i dyno on racegas hopefully. if i cant get any and asr doesnt have any it will have to be pump, but either way ill compare numbers. you say you cant be beat, what were your conditions again? ill be dynoing in miami humid summer, but ill have 50/50 w/m to counteract with a lot of cooling Click here to enlarge what percent meth did you use for the dyno? do you use the same for street use? have you found a happy medium?
    same reason why ess is having trouble now. customer dynos are what matter here, and with no logs it doesn't say anything, retailers have a reason to omit or stretch statements, customers who paid do not, hence the need for someone else to do it. the great part about RB is that there is no required tuner. so every side is going to get them and be able to show what they gained.

    as far as #'s, its tough to compare, my "baseline" is higher but its also a baseline fully modded, rb turbo's and racefuel, so what is that worth?

    my conditions were
    91*+ not sure of humidity, 90/10 meth, i beleive the highest HP run was the 12th run, with an avg of 5-10 min between runs, so heat was affecting us. and im changin my plugs now as i realized ive been on them for about 9k hard tuned miles, with all that being said. I will be going back once i have those monitoring pieces installed.

    as for a happy medium? I havent gone above 17# since then as there is no need, daily i run on 93 & 90/10 and the car is a beast. the meth failsafe is next on the list and was supposed to be installed yesterday but my schedule screwed me.

    Once at least that is in place, and the heat breaks, i will begin some track testing, but only up to peak of 20 psi

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,895
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    thanks for the thorough reply, i always appreciate when my questions aren't blown off or ignored Click here to enlarge (it happens to me more than you'd think lol). so wow you go almost 100%meth. i guess thats for the octane enhancement? how come if you're using racegas anyway? maybe i just haven't experimented enough with the mixtures but i dont want to lose the cooling effects of the water. maybe 10% is all the mix needs, maybe you're right. im glad you're going to re-dyno, hopefully you'll have a more complete example this time and best of all be safer. i cannot wait to compare results LM, keep up the good work and try to find more races Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    thanks for the thorough reply, i always appreciate when my questions aren't blown off or ignored Click here to enlarge (it happens to me more than you'd think lol). so wow you go almost 100%meth. i guess thats for the octane enhancement? how come if you're using racegas anyway? maybe i just haven't experimented enough with the mixtures but i dont want to lose the cooling effects of the water. maybe 10% is all the mix needs, maybe you're right. im glad you're going to re-dyno, hopefully you'll have a more complete example this time and best of all be safer. i cannot wait to compare results LM, keep up the good work and try to find more races Click here to enlarge
    i dont know if your serious or not with the blowing off comment, if i did, i cant see what i ignored? Im always up for good conversation, regardless of tuner( its not the tune i despise)

    racefuel was/is my failsafe in case meth stops flowing, for whatever reason, along with the cooling effects. Its been discussed before that meth also has great/under-rated cooling effects as you can see by the IAT's in the logs shown, so im using what i have to the best of my abilities. your best bet it to have a completely stock baseline, (which i do not on any dyno) and then baseline stock turbo w/mods, and then re-do again baseline with new turbo/mods etc.. i have faith that we can go above the 21psi, but at that point, lacking the harware, I/we decided that might as well keep it at that level. Keeping in mind that this session was more for the actual tuning then for high HP dyno runs. I am also confident that when i go back, with better safeties, we will see higher #'s. I like to discuss, but not use as factual the ricer math stuff, but it does make for good conversation, so..

    A few things we will be watching is:
    1. Were my plugs robbing power in anyway?
    2. how much of a factor were ambient temps/conditions?
    3. will running with the final tuning parameters i now have, earlier in the dyno session, have an effect on HP#'s?

    Discuss

    also, with simple chages, you can see that these can easily hold that 20+ psi to redline. This is a very early log from our early days of testing. as you can see that boost dip as been all but eliminated now (shown in OP Log):
    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by LostMarine; 07-10-2010 at 10:19 AM.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    893
    Rep Points
    440.2
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Hey LM,

    I'm interested in a set! Can you pm me your price?

    Thanks

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    Hey LM,

    I'm interested in a set! Can you pm me your price?

    Thanks
    pm sent

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,895
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    i dont know if your serious or not with the blowing off comment, if i did, i cant see what i ignored? Im always up for good conversation, regardless of tuner( its not the tune i despise)

    racefuel was/is my failsafe in case meth stops flowing, for whatever reason, along with the cooling effects. Its been discussed before that meth also has great/under-rated cooling effects as you can see by the IAT's in the logs shown, so im using what i have to the best of my abilities. your best bet it to have a completely stock baseline, (which i do not on any dyno) and then baseline stock turbo w/mods, and then re-do again baseline with new turbo/mods etc.. i have faith that we can go above the 21psi, but at that point, lacking the harware, I/we decided that might as well keep it at that level. Keeping in mind that this session was more for the actual tuning then for high HP dyno runs. I am also confident that when i go back, with better safeties, we will see higher #'s. I like to discuss, but not use as factual the ricer math stuff, but it does make for good conversation, so..

    A few things we will be watching is:
    1. Were my plugs robbing power in anyway?
    2. how much of a factor were ambient temps/conditions?
    3. will running with the final tuning parameters i now have, earlier in the dyno session, have an effect on HP#'s?

    Discuss

    also, with simple chages, you can see that these can easily hold that 20+ psi to redline. This is a very early log from our early days of testing. as you can see that boost dip as been all but eliminated now (shown in OP Log):
    the first point wasn't directed at solely you, sorry if it seemed that way. on e90 i guess i was ignored more often than here and am letting out some aggression toward it because i finally can lol. only a few members have truly ignored a question i asked here, its honestly no big deal, its their loss, as most of the questions i ask are not hurtful or hating, just questions that will either help the community with pertinent info or in fewer cases help myself with a certain decision.

    now i see why you used racefuel, thanks. it is a good safety net because you didnt have the meth failsafe. as said i cant wait to see how your dyno numbers change in peak or if the whole curve is altered.

    as for your questions: i dont have a stock mods baseline unfortunately. i don't think anywhere that's still open anyway lol. i only have a stock turbo with bolt-ons/meth. but i will be dynoing same mods just turbos swapped. since im near 16psi on that baseline run (15.7) it'll be good to see what numbers my pumpgas map makes with the upp'd turbos. then ill see the difference with meth and race fuel, hopefully.

    i understand it was only a tuning session and more is to come, we are all waiting patiently. the plugs could have something to do with it but i guess we'll see when you extract the old one and look at the electrodes. the ambient conditions will be near the same if not worse for me, miami is brutal at the moment, luckily no 'canes have come by though.

    oh one last question, what nozzle are you using and what cc/min, or gal/hr what ever you go by.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    LOL, e90 not helpful in answering questions!? surely that cant be true Click here to enlarge

    I find it very funny that the thread about this same topic, got like a few hundred views within a day, but only like 2 pages worth of commenting.. I would think that with all the hype over people wanting new turbo's, it would have been through the roof with questions, comments, no? Click here to enlarge i guess most people over there dont remember me anymore Click here to enlarge if only there was aplace they could come see the info, ask, and get unbiased answers........

    I use a single m10 nozzle, set @ whatever pump psi is from factory 160/180, something along those lines

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,895
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    I use a single m10 nozzle, set @ whatever pump psi is from factory 160/180, something along those lines
    nice, at the moment im using an m7. i hope to upgrade to an m10 when i do the turbos, i know ill need it. this way we'll have more of the same to compare to Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    your probably going to need even more than that as well, next we are going to do either an m10/m5 combo or dual m8 to see if there is still more to gain

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami Beach
    Posts
    1,092
    Rep Points
    513.1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    oddjob if you want to experiment with mixtures I have plenty of methanol. I usually use a 75/25 or 90/10
    Click here to enlarge

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,895
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    oddjob if you want to experiment with mixtures I have plenty of methanol. I usually use a 75/25 or 90/10
    nice, and you've datalogged? hows the car run on either? you know what, ill just call ya lol
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    whats the point in that, post it up, thats why we are here Click here to enlarge

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    49
    Rep Points
    84.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    lm.... pm price. can pick up as well.


    are you going to use the stock plugs or try the ngk's??

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by skifreek Click here to enlarge
    lm.... pm price. can pick up as well.


    are you going to use the stock plugs or try the ngk's??
    pm sent

    stock plugs, i do things slowly and safely until we know what we are dealing with

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,895
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    whats the point in that, post it up, thats why we are here Click here to enlarge
    he didnt datalog but felt the more meth the more power. he also uses the 90/10 and felt that was the best. you said the same thing so i guess thats a happy medium. good info.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    743
    Rep Points
    1,050.8
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Reputation: Yes | No
    LM, any 1/4 mile runs yet. Let's see some 130 traps!

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,756
    Rep Points
    31,551.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    LM, any 1/4 mile runs yet. Let's see some 130 traps!
    He's busy: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...g...-quot-quot

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    LM, any 1/4 mile runs yet. Let's see some 130 traps!

    as sticky posted, yea, i been sidetracked with things. and my schedule is too whacked to actually get into the shop doing my installs/maintenance. All that coupled with the heat i cant do anything.

    I do want to say that i believe 130+traps are bit out of expectations, at the moment anyway. we must remember, im not on juice, which guys are in the 520+hp range, and im not racing @ Sac, so i will have realworld times. and it depends on if i can drop 300#'s from the car, as im not a fan of removing seats, lightweight battery,lightweight wheels, cant do lightened flywheel, etc that some of the top mph's have, but dont care to mention when posting..

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    262
    Rep Points
    161.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Sticky,
    I got the turbos shipped for 320...not sure if that is a rip or not yet. One of the main reasons I pulled the trigger was to have an Indy dealer that I trust work on my wastegates if they get bad before I have the funds to do the RB upgrade.

    Sorry I didn't post sooner. I was out of town meeting up with a guy on this former who was banned from e90. He let me get under the car with him and hopefully learned a thing or two about installing downpipes... Anyway, he runs a different tune than me and we get along great. I'm not sure why e90 is so quick to ban people for giving their honest opinion. I guess I'll have to hang out here some more.

    Back on topic. LM, was the fact that RB has a wastegate upgrade the reason that you went his route, or, was more b/c he is big over at n54 and you felt like you would get better support etc? I'll be running them most likely with the v4 when the time comes. It will be great if people end up using them with CPE, BMS, V4, and GIAC IMHO.

    Thx for your input

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mars, Gale Crater
    Posts
    873
    Rep Points
    682.4
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    congrats man, great numbers. you must be loving those things! Did you do any pump-gas only runs?

    your baseline of 295/301, that was on stock turbos with stage 3 mods on pump gas right?

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    no pump only runs yet, that day was tough enough to get done, what we did. that baseline was with all the mods, racefuel, and RB turbo's, no meth. I know lots of people want pump only #'s but im not to concerned, as i dont drive with pump only, so right now im just getting the meth controller and some other hardware installed and we will push the limits a little bit higher.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •