Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    I'm right there with you brotha! None of this weak NA nonsense. Click here to enlarge
    Yes who gives a crap about N/A? Not even BMW any more. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That does not mean NA is bad.

A stroked s38 like this fits the e30 character more. The chassis doesn't need 1000 whp.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Any power figures?
    It depends on the chosen setup...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That does not mean NA is bad.

A stroked s38 like this fits the e30 character more. The chassis doesn't need 1000 whp.
    E30 is played in my eyes. There are a million people who have done the e30 thing
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    E30 is played in my eyes. There are a million people who have done the e30 thing
    Who cares? The point is some cars don't need some absurd amount of turbo power. The E30 is one of them IMO. It would be plenty entertaining with an NA motor like this S38 at 4.2 with 12.0:1 comp pistons.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who cares? The point is some cars don't need some absurd amount of turbo power. The E30 is one of them IMO. It would be plenty entertaining with an NA motor like this S38 at 4.2 with 12.0:1 comp pistons.
    I still like the turbo S14 idea for the e30 M3. Would love that. Otherwise a fully opened up S85 would be insane in that thing.... that would be great NA power! Wonder how much of the M5 drive-train you could stuff in there....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    I still like the turbo S14 idea for the e30 M3. Would love that. Otherwise a fully opened up S85 would be insane in that thing.... that would be great NA power! Wonder how much of the M5 drive-train you could stuff in there....
    @Apex Speed Technology did the V10 in an E30... Here: http://www.vwboost.com/showthread.ph...ed-Technology!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's just exactly what I wanted to see. So much Win!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you got the wheels turning.

been a while since i played with NA....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by radasaurus Click here to enlarge
    Even the s54, which was designed for high rpms, suffers when pushed much beyond its stock redline. The s38's harmonic damper is not as robust (especially in the b35 and b36 versions) nor is it designed for the same rpm range.
    Even the s54, which was designed for high rpms, suffers when pushed much beyond its stock redline. The s38's harmonic damper is not as robust (especially in the b35 and b36 versions) nor is it designed for the same rpm range.
    You are right, and the long cams pose a problem at high RPM but from what I know about the S38 it is regularly revved to 7500 with mild tunes stock without issue and has seen 8k. This is all stock internals. So is 8500 on aftermarkets all that big of an issue considering BMW made the S14 crank capable of 10000 rpm and kept it at 7000?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I hope you did the new stroker crank like the S38B38 and not the S38B36, since the B36 and all B30 for that mather had problems on revs...loosing that 410Nm crank bolt allt the time, it didnt get better when boosted! , S38 crank is MUCH better designed with its hub/damper.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JAWS Motorsport Click here to enlarge
    I hope you did the new stroker crank like the S38B38 and not the S38B36, since the B36 and all B30 for that mather had problems on revs...loosing that 410Nm crank bolt allt the time, it didnt get better when boosted! , S38 crank is MUCH better designed with its hub/damper.

Click here to enlarge

Hmm this is the first i ever heard of this problem, I know many guys with S38B36 race engines and i ask them about this, and they all said the same thing newer had issues with the Long Bolt set up in the S38B36. Maybe it was the case on few engines due to wrongly torqued bolt?

Also all S14B25 Evo's use this long bolt set up and they turn their Race Engines to 9400RPM without any problems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    what the $#@! is that supposed to mean? The fact is its a VERY long stroke crank on a straight six that has harmonic issues past 7k with the stock crank. I am not denigrating the kit or the idea of an 8.5k rpm 4.2L s38 screamer (which would be awesome), but it's a pipe dream.

I did some digging Click here to enlarge PPM 95/98mm 4.2l Stroker kit is much lighter then the OEM S38B36 crankshaft,rods,pistons! So the reciprocating weight is less then OEM S38B36 with the huge extra stroke!
    Also the Crankshaft is Billet, Rods are forged,Pistons are forged so the kit is more durable then OEM parts. PPM Looked at the harmonics as well, and Ross/PPM Balancer was designed and made to tangle this issue as well. So what i can see all the possible problems where take into-count when this kit was designed for the passionate N/A RacersClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tom S85B58 Click here to enlarge
    Hmm this is the first i ever heard of this problem, I know many guys with S38B36 race engines and i ask them about this, and they all said the same thing newer had issues with the Long Bolt set up in the S38B36. Maybe it was the case on few engines due to wrongly torqued bolt?

Also all S14B25 Evo's use this long bolt set up and they turn their Race Engines to 9400RPM without any problems.
    Its actually the hub that walks on the crank, finally it damages the "woodruf key" that locks the hub in position, my experience are on turbocharged high tourqe engines, but i guess BMW re-designed when making the B38 of a reason? I hope PPMīs stuff works good bcs its a nice upgrade to a super nice engine.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like starting with a B38 is the best way to go.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JAWS Motorsport Click here to enlarge
    Its actually the hub that walks on the crank, finally it damages the "woodruf key" that locks the hub in position, my experience are on turbocharged high tourqe engines, but i guess BMW re-designed when making the B38 of a reason? I hope PPMīs stuff works good bcs its a nice upgrade to a super nice engine.

Click here to enlarge

Maybe you should try a PPM kit with your Insane Swedish Turbo set up and report backClick here to enlarge Would be interesting to see what power is possible from a stroked S38 TurboClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe you should try a PPM kit with your Insane Swedish Turbo set up and report backClick here to enlarge Would be interesting to see what power is possible from a stroked S38 TurboClick here to enlarge
    Well if the block can stick togheter and dont crack as they usualy do im sure we can see 16-1800hp, we are not building anymore M30/S38īs...tired of that game now Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well if the block can stick togheter and dont crack as they usualy do im sure we can see 16-1800hp, we are not building anymore M30/S38īs...tired of that game now Click here to enlarge
    What motor do you mostly work on?

If someone still wants an S38 built you still do it right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What motor do you mostly work on?

If someone still wants an S38 built you still do it right?
    I would say most experience lies in S5Xīs, well if they pay good enough yes but the knowledge and experience around here (Sweden) are wide so many customers do the entire builds them self, and not that interested to build one for the company since its like 17years ago the last M5E34 left the wheels Click here to enlarge

700Hp S85 n/a JAWS stroker...hm..hm....or a PPM / JAWS cooperation on it maby ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    700Hp S85 n/a JAWS stroker...hm..hm....or a PPM / JAWS cooperation on it maby ?[/QUOTE]

HMMM that would be interesting i am sure PPM would be happy to cooperate with JAWS on this S85 Project. I know for fact 720BHP was already achieved from a N/A S85 5.8L stroker! Maybe Swedish Magic can go 800+Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    700Hp S85 n/a JAWS stroker...hm..hm....or a PPM / JAWS cooperation on it maby ?
    HMMM that would be interesting i am sure PPM would be happy to cooperate with JAWS on this S85 Project. I know for fact 720BHP was already achieved from a N/A S85 5.8L stroker! Maybe Swedish Magic can go 800+Click here to enlarge[/QUOTE]

Who hit 720? Is there a dyno?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who hit 720? Is there a dyno?
    Dinan did for some sort of racing team. There was no graph or something but the engine was sitting on a engine dyno and numbers are quoted from that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    HMMM that would be interesting i am sure PPM would be happy to cooperate with JAWS on this S85 Project. I know for fact 720BHP was already achieved from a N/A S85 5.8L stroker! Maybe Swedish Magic can go 800+Click here to enlarge
    Who hit 720? Is there a dyno?[/QUOTE]

It was in Germany http://www.nowack-motors.de/BMW-M-Mo...-58-708PS.html
    And the Bore and stroke was same as PPM kit Click here to enlarge Just wondering who supply the kit to them? HMMMM PPMClick here to enlarge

but Please lets not get off topic! Back To S38 4.2l Stroker nowClick here to enlarge
    Last edited by Tom S85B58; 06-02-2012 at 06:22 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You are right, and the long cams pose a problem at high RPM but from what I know about the S38 it is regularly revved to 7500 with mild tunes stock without issue and has seen 8k. This is all stock internals. So is 8500 on aftermarkets all that big of an issue considering BMW made the S14 crank capable of 10000 rpm and kept it at 7000?
    I think 8500 would be, in the best case scenario, pushing your luck. It could hold up drag/highway racing, but I think on a road course you'd have issues. The Procar m88 engines revved to 9000rpm but
    they were rebuilt after every race. If I built one of these engines, I'd probably keep it under 7.5k for peace of mind. Possibly blowing a ~$10,000 engine for a few extra rpms doesn't seem worth the risk to me. Then again, maybe the available aftermarket balancer works wonders and would soak up 8500 rpm easily.

I do not know for sure, but I think the s14's stock valvetrain is what limits its rpm potential, which is why BMW kept the red line at 7000. Upgrade the valvetrain you're good to go; the s14's crank is much shorter being a 4 cyl so it doesn't experience the same issues with vibration.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast