• E92 M3

7 31.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

E46 M3 vs E92 M3 Help me decide!

Well some of you may or may not know but I currently do not have a BMW. I've always wanted one since I was around 10 years old. Currently I'm driving around in a 2007 350z definitely a fun car but it's not a BMW. So I come to you gentlemen with this. My 350z is up for sale and should be gone relatively quick. So I think now is the perfect time for me to finally get my BMW.

Bottom line is that I want an M. Whether it be and E30, E36, E46, or E92. No if's, and's, or but's about it. At first I was dead set on getting a 335 but after seeing basically everyone and their mother with one it kinda pushed me away. I then started looking at E92 M3's and after realizing that they are in my price range I definitely want one. This is where my dilemma comes in.

I've been hunting for e92's for the past 7-10 months and still haven't found one that I really liked until recently more and more have been popping up for sale, so it really shouldn't be too hard to find one that I want to make a move on.

Then my buddy who knows that I've been searching for an M3 for a while drops this crap on me.

His good friend is willing to let his E46 M3 go. It's a 2006, 6-speed, white w/ cinnamon interior. One owner vehicle. Pretty much everything that I would want. But here is the kicker, it's only got 3,000 miles on it. Let me repeat 3,000 miles. He said he is in no rush to sell the car and if I want it he'll hold it for me until my Z is sold. I've always had a soft spot for the E46 body style and in my opinion it's one of the best looking BMW's they've ever made.

Now my head is spinning and it doesn't help that I'm one of the most indecisive people on the face of this earth.

I will have a daily driver regardless of which car I end up purchasing.

So let me ask you guys, what car would you go for? Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How much is the e46? I want it
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Poll added

@DD GT3 RD lmao I take it that's 1 for the E46
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think the e92 is the better car all around. But there is something about the e46 looks I loved. I haven't driven one in years so I would have to again. But white e46 on cinnamon is amazing.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    I think the e92 is the better car all around. But there is something about the e46 looks I loved. I haven't driven one in years so I would have to again. But white e46 on cinnamon is amazing.
    Trust me this has been going back and forth in my head for the past 5 days. To make matters worse I was out last night and some guy in an E90 M3 drove passed me with some sick sounding exhaust which made me change my mind about the e46 almost instantly.

Click here to enlarge
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Try getting some pics of the E46 M3. I was hunting for one too, not too long ago. There's something about that car that pulls me towards it, specially in N/A form.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    is mpg of ANY concern for you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is a tough one, I think it really depends on the price of the e46 m. If it's reasonable, I'd probably get it. I think it also depends on what your plans are for the car. Lots of mods or keeping it relatively stock? To me, a low mileage car like that should be kept pretty stock/clean. in the end, the e92 has a better exhaust note, and a fun engine/newer chassis.

I think I'd go for the e92....
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    drive both, then decide what's more fun. simple.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    is mpg of ANY concern for you?
    No, I'll have a daily driver regardless
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    This is a tough one, I think it really depends on the price of the e46 m. If it's reasonable, I'd probably get it. I think it also depends on what your plans are for the car. Lots of mods or keeping it relatively stock? To me, a low mileage car like that should be kept pretty stock/clean. in the end, the e92 has a better exhaust note, and a fun engine/newer chassis.

I think I'd go for the e92....
    I will more than likely end up boosting whichever car I end up getting lol, He's asking 31,500 for the E46, which honestly for that price isn't that bad. If I could score it for $29k I would definitely buy it.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
    drive both, then decide what's more fun. simple.
    Good advice, Thanks! Just have to find someone to let me drive their e92 m3 now lmao
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If your boosting it....e92 m3
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They are both wonderful cars. I have owned both, and each has their strong points. Hard to say - real hard to say. To be honest, I would drive both for as long as you can before deciding - not just a 5-10 minute drive.

One thing - that S54 on the E46 M3 was a jewel (not saying the S65 isn't) - it would get 29-30 MPG on long trips (75ish avg speed). Can't say this for the S65, but haven't ever tried - it's just so much easier to drive faster in the E9X (if that makes any sense).

That's my two bits.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    No, I'll have a daily driver regardless

I will more than likely end up boosting whichever car I end up getting lol, He's asking 31,500 for the E46, which honestly for that price isn't that bad. If I could score it for $29k I would definitely buy it.

Good advice, Thanks! Just have to find someone to let me drive their e92 m3 now lmao
    3000 miles scares me. believe it or not you better get a ppi. i don't trust cars that are that old and not driven. i almost think its bad for an s54 not to get regular excersize.

bobS - boost it with what? a hairdryer?
    for the cost of a clean e92 alone i could build a turbo e46 with money left for suspension.
    im still waiting for a tuner to take the s65 to the next level...lets hope it doesn't take as long as it did with the s54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    3000 miles scares me. believe it or not you better get a ppi. i don't trust cars that are that old and not driven. i almost think its bad for an s54 not to get regular excersize.

bobS - boost it with what? a hairdryer?
    for the cost of a clean e92 alone i could build a turbo e46 with money left for suspension.
    im still waiting for a tuner to take the s65 to the next level...lets hope it doesn't take as long as it did with the s54.
    The 3,000 miles scares me as well. I will definitely be having a PPI done before even thinking of moving forward with this car. Luckily a few of my buddies are techs at BMW so I know they wouldn't steer me in the wrong direction. Also if I needed they could get me parts at their cost which is a plus.

The price difference is definitely whats attracting me towards the E46 especially since I would like to buy a house within the next few years. I've been looking at 09'-11' M3's and they are ranging anywhere from 47K-59K. (For that kind of money if I saved a bit more, it could be a down payment on a house. Plus I don't want to be like all of the tards on m3post that drive brand new m3's but still live at home with mommy and daddy. Parents helping them pay for it and all) I figure if I pick up the E46 I'll pay it off within a year and a half to 2 years and if my book of business increases nicely I'll buy an e92 since they'll still be relatively new in 2-3 years for way less than 47k and hopefully with some room for a down payment on a house soon thereafter Click here to enlarge

It's just that damn exhaust note of the E9x's thats soooooooo intoxicating and it doesn't help that I change my mind about something every 5 seconds! DAMNIT!

Thanks everyone for your opinions, it's definitely helping me see the big picture. But I still need more input! Click here to enlarge
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think the E92 will hit your wallet much harder as well as cost much more on gas. The E46 M3 is a sweet ride I think it is the better choice for you.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    None. Get a Z06
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't think your finances are right for the E92, but hands down, its the funnest car I've ever owned. What sucks is that I make payments on a car that I drive maybe 1 weekend a month, but man, when I do, its well worth it. My 330ci was fun, but nothing compared to the e92.

Me, AK and kthxbye were just talkin about a topic AK and I had 2 yrs ago... All you need to love a dct m3, is exhaust, oss/led AEs, and wheels. Add a blower and its perfection

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    None. Get a Z06
    He said he wants an M car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They are both epic cars. E46M is more visceral and raw. Its a momentum car. It truly feels alive.

The E9xM is a well balanced machine with an attitude.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    E46
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think the E92 will hit your wallet much harder as well as cost much more on gas. The E46 M3 is a sweet ride I think it is the better choice for you.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    I don't think your finances are right for the E92, but hands down, its the funnest car I've ever owned. What sucks is that I make payments on a car that I drive maybe 1 weekend a month, but man, when I do, its well worth it. My 330ci was fun, but nothing compared to the e92.

Me, AK and kthxbye were just talkin about a topic AK and I had 2 yrs ago... All you need to love a dct m3, is exhaust, oss/led AEs, and wheels. Add a blower and its perfection
    The gas really isn't an issue to me since I'll have a daily driver anyway. I've always been the type of person who wanted the newer cooler stuff. I guess when my Z actually sells I'll have to sit down and really think about my future and what I want out of the car
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    The gas really isn't an issue to me since I'll have a daily driver anyway. I've always been the type of person who wanted the newer cooler stuff. I guess when my Z actually sells I'll have to sit down and really think about my future and what I want out of the car
    The E46 will be cheaper either way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That e46 is pretty much exactly what i want. White w/ cinnamon interior 6-speed no sunroof. I saw go for the e46 m3, save some money on that front for the mods lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i can find you a e92 for cheaper than 47. just cause its listed at x amount of dollars doesn't mean you have to pay close to that.
    just got to be willing to go down to FLA.
    btw, that IS enough for a downpayment on a house too....i love this market climate!

z06 are fast as $#@! and just as ugly. thats why we all bang are heads trying to get these gorgeous bimmers in the running!

edit: if your going to hold onto the e92 for a while there will eventually be some sick FI kits coming down the pipeline. just takes patience...like 5years or so haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    where are you? if you want to meet somewhere in jersey, i can let you drive mine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast