Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Failed propshaft joint

I was driving my car back home from my friends house today and pulled out aggresively onto a main road. I gave it WOT in 2nd and heard a knocking noise from the rear and the car had no drive. Managed to pull over onto someones drive and call for a the emergency breakdown services who eventually sent me a low loader tow truck which bought the car home. I wasn't sure if I had damaged the gearbox or diff so jacked the rear up and it seems the joint on the prop which connects to the diff flange has failed and sprayed grease everywhere. Me and my buddy managed to remove exhaust, heatshields and all but the large propshaft bolt at 9pm with just a small lamp for light.

Not too worried as I have an m3 subframe with LSD to fit but will have to get the custom prop machined ASAP. Luckily I even have an AR Design differential spanner as I bought the m3 diff quite a while ago. Hopefully should have the car running within two weeks with an LSD.

Am I the first to do this? All I can say is the car was super quick with the RBs and JB4 with meth Click here to enlarge

Oh and a pic to show the damage, will get better ones when the prop is off.

Click here to enlarge
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Nice carnage... I think you may have accelerated in or out of a turn in a weird way and that joint didnt like it one bit.

Godspeed.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    Not too worried as I have an m3 subframe with LSD to fit
    Just bolts right in?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Just bolts right in?
    Yes, but the propshaft bolt patterns are different, so you need to fab a custom shaft.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Yes, but the propshaft bolt patterns are different, so you need to fab a custom shaft.
    Spot on, I did buy a Euro 320d LCI prop as the gearbox bolt pattern is the same but I will get the custom one fabbed from a combination of my old prop and the 6mt v8 m3 one I have already. The broken part is going to be replaced anyway.

The m3 subframe with diff, half shafts, rear arms and all the sensors cost me less than 500, whereas a Quaife diff costs almost 2000 installed here for a welded diff like mine. Add in the cost of the buying a new prop and the fabrication, it still comes out to less than half the price.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Spot on, I did buy a Euro 320d LCI prop as the gearbox bolt pattern is the same but I will get the custom one fabbed from a combination of my old prop and the 6mt v8 m3 one I have already. The broken part is going to be replaced anyway.
    The m3 subframe with diff, half shafts, rear arms and all the sensors cost me less than 500, whereas a Quaife diff costs almost 2000 installed here for a welded diff like mine. Add in the cost of the buying a new prop and the fabrication, it still comes out to less than half the price.
    Damn that's a steal really. Guess you just need to be lucky and find a front-wrecked M3.

However, the coilovers for M3 are different from regular E92s. Here in Luxembourg, all suspension mods (at least the visible ones like coilovers Click here to enlarge ) need to be registered. And that would be a major problem if you want to register a chassis half 335i, half M3...
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Damn that's a steal really. Guess you just need to be lucky and find a front-wrecked M3.

However, the coilovers for M3 are different from regular E92s. Here in Luxembourg, all suspension mods (at least the visible ones like coilovers Click here to enlarge ) need to be registered. And that would be a major problem if you want to register a chassis half 335i, half M3...
    You can reuse your 335i suspension setup if you swap the lower arms between the two. I'm planning on using the Birds bilstein setup that I have.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

You can reuse your 335i suspension setup if you swap the lower arms between the two. I'm planning on using the Birds bilstein setup that I have.
    Ah I see. Damn, should have gone that direction but I've already spend a couple grand installing the Quaife and M3 suspension bits. Next will be toe links and a pair of powerflex bushing in that particular lower wishbone which can't be used from the M3.

The M3 rear subframe is made of alloy IIRC, so it should be a tad lighter than the steel frame in the 335i.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Ah I see. Damn, should have gone that direction but I've already spend a couple grand installing the Quaife and M3 suspension bits. Next will be toe links and a pair of powerflex bushing in that particular lower wishbone which can't be used from the M3.

The M3 rear subframe is made of alloy IIRC, so it should be a tad lighter than the steel frame in the 335i.
    Never knew that about the subframe, that's good to know. Forgot to add, the DCT gear ratio is 3.15 but I'm planning to use 275/30/19s on the rears which according to the gear calculators will be the same max speed in each gear as stock tyre sizes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

You don't hear about too many failures in the driveline, minus half shafts. I did manage to break my drive shaft in 3rd gear though. It was odd that it broke in 3rd right as I went WOT from about 40mph. I chalked it up to a fluke break.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I had my driveshaft break on me. Well it wasn't too catastrophic. I started hearing weird clicking on deceleration. Took it to a friend's shop and they got it fixed. He said that some bracing inside the shaft failed and not much more info Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onebadmofo Click here to enlarge
    I had my driveshaft break on me. Well it wasn't too catastrophic. I started hearing weird clicking on deceleration. Took it to a friend's shop and they got it fixed. He said that some bracing inside the shaft failed and not much more info Click here to enlarge
    I'm pretty sure mine has had a similar failure but the joint is sealed so I can't tell the problem.

Anyway, I've started stripping the car down getting it ready for the new diff which should be fitted tomorrow so I can measure the propshaft length required. I'll be taking some photos along the way which hopefully will benefit others who want to do the same conversion.

First of all a bit of information about parts for those interested. First of all the diff itself, these come in two different versions. The DCT M3 has a diff ratio of 3.15 is only slightly higher than the ratio I have in my 6mt 335i (3.08). The 6mt M3 has a final drive of 3.85 which I thought was far too high for my car. With the diff you also need M3 halfshafts which are quite a bit beefier than the 335i variety. The ends of the halfshafts which bolt into the diff are much larger on the M3 so thats why the 335i ones don't fit. I bought a full rear subframe without the brakes so I had all the M3 rear arms and bushes. There were two M3 rear arms which I couldn't use which were the control arms and the toe arms. The control arms couldn't be used as the shocks on m3 fit in a different manner where they bolt onto the control arm rather than the shock actually threading through like on the 335i. I'm planning on using some custom valved Bilstein 335i shocks and Eibach springs from a 335i so I will reuse the old control arms. I have been told that the toe arms don't fit which is a shame as they are nice aluminium pieces (like all the arms on the M3) which I would've like to have used. And finally I am reusing my hubs as I fitted new pads and rotors only 3 weeks ago and didn't source m3 brakes anyway.

So first job was to remove the subframe from the car which left the rear of the car looking rather bare:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Before anyone mentions it, I would have preferred to have worked on a ramp but when my car broke down it was recovered to my house so I decided to use stands. The car is on a flat surface and is reassuringly stable on the stands. I did place the wheels under the car as extra insurance.

So here is the original diff and subframe which I removed earlier. As you can see it has a tiny sway bar and the arms are no where near as nice as the M3 ones. Also the subframe bushes have hollow parts to them compared to the solid M3 ones:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

And in comparison the m3 subframe and diff, which is upside down inthe pic:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Next up is a comparison of the halfshafts. The bottom pair in the pic are the M3 ones

Click here to enlarge

And next up are the 335i hubs. I had pay to get the four halfshafts removed which were very difficult to do. I tried to screw the hubnuts back on and hammer them through with a lump hammer but that failed and just damaged the threads on the 335i half shaft. Luckily I don't need them but the garage successfully removed them all with a heavy duty punch/chisel and a huge hammer. Unfortunately I managed to bend one of the brake backing shields but will straighten it out tomorrow before I refit it:

Click here to enlarge

And these are the M3 arms which won't be reused, the black pair are identical to the 335i ones:

Click here to enlarge

And finally a word on the propshafts. I was planning to use a 6mt M3 driveshaft with the transmission end flange off a LCI 320d so I could keep my car on the road. Since this is no longer an issue, I will be using my 335i flange instead as the rest of it is ruined. The bolt holes on the M3 prop on the transmission end are spaced out wider so don't line up with the 335i manual transmission flange. If the main section of the M3 driveshaft is being used, the 335i centre bearing needs to be used as the m3 one doesn't line up. Anyway, here is a pic of my e9x prop collection, with the M3 one on the left, 335i in centre and 320d on the right:

Click here to enlarge

I've bought brand new suspension top mounts and all other associated rubbers so that it is all fresh when it is all back together. I will also be converting to a trunk mounted meth setup and cleaning out the valves by hand with the car off the road. Pic of the suspension bits and meth tank:

Click here to enlarge

I'll update this thread with more info once I fit the diff and the custom prop is made

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure mine has had a similar failure but the joint is sealed so I can't tell the problem.

Anyway, I've started stripping the car down getting it ready for the new diff which should be fitted tomorrow so I can measure the propshaft length required. I'll be taking some photos along the way which hopefully will benefit others who want to do the same conversion.

First of all a bit of information about parts for those interested. First of all the diff itself, these come in two different versions. The DCT M3 has a diff ratio of 3.15 is only slightly higher than the ratio I have in my 6mt 335i (3.08). The 6mt M3 has a final drive of 3.85 which I thought was far too high for my car. With the diff you also need M3 halfshafts which are quite a bit beefier than the 335i variety. The ends of the halfshafts which bolt into the diff are much larger on the M3 so thats why the 335i ones don't fit. I bought a full rear subframe without the brakes so I had all the M3 rear arms and bushes. There were two M3 rear arms which I couldn't use which were the control arms and the toe arms. The control arms couldn't be used as the shocks on m3 fit in a different manner where they bolt onto the control arm rather than the shock actually threading through like on the 335i. I'm planning on using some custom valved Bilstein 335i shocks and Eibach springs from a 335i so I will reuse the old control arms. I have been told that the toe arms don't fit which is a shame as they are nice aluminium pieces (like all the arms on the M3) which I would've like to have used. And finally I am reusing my hubs as I fitted new pads and rotors only 3 weeks ago and didn't source m3 brakes anyway.

So first job was to remove the subframe from the car which left the rear of the car looking rather bare:

http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...IMG_1011-1.jpg

http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...IMG_1013-1.jpg

Before anyone mentions it, I would have preferred to have worked on a ramp but when my car broke down it was recovered to my house so I decided to use stands. The car is on a flat surface and is reassuringly stable on the stands. I did place the wheels under the car as extra insurance.

So here is the original diff and subframe which I removed earlier. As you can see it has a tiny sway bar and the arms are no where near as nice as the M3 ones. Also the subframe bushes have hollow parts to them compared to the solid M3 ones:

http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...IMG_1032-1.jpg

http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...IMG_1037-1.jpg

And in comparison the m3 subframe and diff, which is upside down inthe pic:

http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...IMG_0997-1.jpg

http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...IMG_1007-1.jpg

http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...IMG_1010-1.jpg

Next up is a comparison of the halfshafts. The bottom pair in the pic are the M3 ones

http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...IMG_1028-1.jpg

And next up are the 335i hubs. I had pay to get the four halfshafts removed which were very difficult to do. I tried to screw the hubnuts back on and hammer them through with a lump hammer but that failed and just damaged the threads on the 335i half shaft. Luckily I don't need them but the garage successfully removed them all with a heavy duty punch/chisel and a huge hammer. Unfortunately I managed to bend one of the brake backing shields but will straighten it out tomorrow before I refit it:

http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...IMG_1048-1.jpg

And these are the M3 arms which won't be reused, the black pair are identical to the 335i ones:

http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...IMG_1053-1.jpg

And finally a word on the propshafts. I was planning to use a 6mt M3 driveshaft with the transmission end flange off a LCI 320d so I could keep my car on the road. Since this is no longer an issue, I will be using my 335i flange instead as the rest of it is ruined. The bolt holes on the M3 prop on the transmission end are spaced out wider so don't line up with the 335i manual transmission flange. If the main section of the M3 driveshaft is being used, the 335i centre bearing needs to be used as the m3 one doesn't line up. Anyway, here is a pic of my e9x prop collection, with the M3 one on the left, 335i in centre and 320d on the right:

http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...IMG_1061-1.jpg

I've bought brand new suspension top mounts and all other associated rubbers so that it is all fresh when it is all back together. I will also be converting to a trunk mounted meth setup and cleaning out the valves by hand with the car off the road. Pic of the suspension bits and meth tank:

http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...IMG_1065-1.jpg

I'll update this thread with more info once I fit the diff and the custom prop is made
    Nicely detailed!
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale