Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

My soon to start E91 335i Touring project

Hi guys,

I have been looking into buying an E91 335 car since last year. I'm currently driving an E46 325ti with an ESS supercharger stage 2 (so with intercooler). Although this is a fun car, the compact only have 2 doors and i really want an estate. The E91 is an obvious choice.

For a while i was looking at the AWD 335xi version, but after hearing it is actually slower on the drag strip than a regular rear wheel 335i, the weight difference (in holland you pay road tax by weight) and the fact that the system isn't as strong (because it's more complex ?) than a 335i an thus less resiliant to a serious performance tune, i made up my mind: E91 touring it is !

To circumvent tranny problems i'll choose the MT version, which is actually difficult to find; only 1 out 10 E91 335i cars seem to be MT. But they are there.

I've also chosen to take a 2007 built car. Today i was at a local tuner in holland (Verhoeven Tuning) and they heard problem about the 2007 335i, which 2008's wouldn't have (pump problems, AT tranny problems, turbo timing problems). If anyone else wants to talk me out of buying a 2007, please do so now or forever hold your peace ! The 2007 model will be on average EUR 900 cheaper on import tax alone, let alone the car itself is cheaper. I had not heard of the "start up" issues of the 335i MT 2007 model, perhaps the local tuner is over reacting ... can anyone comment ?

In any event, my project should lead to 500 whp on pump gas (RON98). And i think i can do this by:

- Installing RB turbo's
    - catless downpipes
    - A tune (e.g. Cobb ?) I don't like piggybacking.
    - FMIC. I heard the Helix would be an abvious choice.
    - 50/50 water / meth injection system (WW kit)
    - I want to have a flasher installed in the car, so i can switch maps without too much difficulty. It'd be nice to have a conservative every daily tune (16 PSI?) and one competition-killer tune (20+ PSI). Would be nice if i wouldn't need the meth injection for the daily tune.

Maybe later i should/will buy a built LSD (eg Quaife). It seems an obvious addition to make the power accessible. I understand this is about $2500, so it will have to wait a few months after my build is ready.

I'm NOT building a track car or even a drag car. It's basically an every day car for the occasional traffic light/highway kill story.

Here are my questions for the community:

- Do you agree that my setup should indeed lead to over 500 whp (DIN corrected) ?
    - What is a good brand downpipe ?
    - I could invest in a custom tune and not choose the Cobb tune. In the end, a custom tune should give the best result. What should i do ?
    - Which FMIC the best choice ?
    - Am i missing anything ? What other relatively cheap (and easy) bolt ons could benfit my project ?

I want to spend about EUR 4500 on the built. So that's about $6000. Yeah, it is limited , but i hope it will suffice; i hope the sellers will help me out as well (Rob, i so hope you're reading this !! (insert puppy eyes icon here))

As of now, i have no car; i hope to buy the car before end of june.

Many greetings,

Jeroen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a 07 and have had no issues besides a fuel pump. My car currently has 50k miles on it and is no longer my daily. Your plans sound good. A LSD is a must, especially with the power you want to achieve. I would go with the cobb as well. Try and make sure ur car has a oil cooler, there are aftermarket options for that too. Good luck!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey buddy, glad you're doing your build, will be fun to follow it through...in terms of options you know my thoughts already Click here to enlarge all the best and good luck man!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This:

Click here to enlarge

Or this:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hi @Eleventeen,
    I don't care too much about the color of the car; i hope i find a nice low mileage engine.

@bobS, seems like you have a similar setup, apart from the RB turbo's.... do you have any dyno's to share ?

@dzenno, it'll be fun to create the project thread. Since i'll be doing the stuff myself (with help of course), i should have ample opportunity for kodak moments Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Only dynos from stg 1, not relevant for what your looking for. I plan to get pro tuned soon by a Cobb authorized shop so I'll have dynos then. I'm also thinking about getting rb's this winter.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @dubversion you are in Europe? So 98 ron is 93 octane US? I don't know if 500 whp on 93 is realistic but you are adding meth. It's a reasonable goal.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hi sticky,

Yes, i'm in Holland. RON98 (SuperPlus) = 93-94 AKI indeed in the US. I guess by raising boost we eventually hit the target power, but of course i want to run the boost as low as possible; i'm hoping to get it at 20PSI...

greetings,
    Jeroen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dubversion Click here to enlarge
    Hi sticky,

Yes, i'm in Holland. RON98 (SuperPlus) = 93-94 AKI indeed in the US. I guess by raising boost we eventually hit the target power, but of course i want to run the boost as low as possible; i'm hoping to get it at 20PSI...

greetings,
    Jeroen
    I hope you hit the goal, you are going to be relying on the meth I think.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BMW 335i E91 Touring 2007 project - goal 500 whp

So i bought my car back in february 2013. It's a 2007 E91 LHD touring. So far i have done:

- Helix FMIC
    - cp-e dual cone air intakes. I think i'll make some type of shield so the hot intake is not interfering with my intake air temp.
    - Cobb AP Currently on Stage 1+FMIX aggresive, making 260 whp / 520 wNm on a HUB dyno (Land & Sean dynomite). I learnt a trick to dyno by disconnecting the ABS sensors (which measure the speed of the axle at each wheel).
    - cp-e Charge pipe and Tial BOV.

I do not have the stock dyno regrettably. At the time, i got limp modes and could not dyno the car properly.

First, my stock car, no upgrades on Cobb stage 1 LT Sport, making 300 whp:
    Click here to enlarge

then i put the mods on, keeping the LT Sport Cobb tune:
    Click here to enlarge

Then i applied the Cobb Stge1+FMIX LT aggressive:
    Click here to enlarge

Finally, just to mess with a friend of mine with a stock Toyota Supra Mk4 with only mods being boost controller (at 1.2 bar) and a 4" catless custom exhaust, but no tune :
    Click here to enlarge

As you imagine, i'm very pleased with my 360 whp. The car feels very strong indeed.

I'm not checking which turbo upgrade to slap on, but i'm 90% sure it will be the rb turbos.
    I have the downpipes already (cp-e), just not installed yet.

The lst upgrade stage would be the water/meth injection (aquamyst hfs4)

And to make it all hit the pavement correctly, i'll install an LSD
    The oil cooler is probably also a good idea.

Kind regards,
    Jeroen
    Last edited by dubversion; 07-04-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    s you imagine, i'm very pleased with my 360 whp. The car feels very strong indeed.
    Not a replacement for a real dynojet graph IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Not a replacement for a real dynojet graph IMO.
    ,you can manipulate a Dynojet very easy ,compare a Dynojet with a Mustang ,Dynapack or Dynodynamics and the dynojet will Always read the highest.
    I have seen a lot of tests between them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mikecoupe Click here to enlarge
    ,you can manipulate a Dynojet very easy ,compare a Dynojet with a Mustang ,Dynapack or Dynodynamics and the dynojet will Always read the highest.
    I have seen a lot of tests between them.
    I think this is my misunderstanding I thought he was using the virtual dyno program.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hi sticky,

greetings,
    Jeroen
    20PSI isn't low

20psi will kill those turbos if run that high every day

any more and you're asking for dead turbos FAST.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think this is my misunderstanding I thought he was using the virtual dyno program.

The Dyno is a Land & Sea Dynomite Axle hub dyno. Hubs connect to the axle, rather than the tire, so there is no change of spinning wheels. Moreover, it therefore simply reads more accurately. The only downside is that it takes about 20 - 30 minutes to connect it to a car, and taking it off is another 15 minutes. But it's very safe. The reading of these dynos is very close to a mustang dyno. Dynojets are notoriously "optimistic", where these dyno's as more the "heart breakers". There can be as much as 10% difference in the readings.

My previous car (E46 325ti compacyt with an ESS TS2 supercharger) made 275 whp on a dynojet and 256 whp on this dynomite; no difference in upgrades or gas (RON98).

@Flinchy: i'm well aware that 20 PSI is a lot of boost. Obviously i'm doing a turbo swap and it's will be almost certainly the rb turbos. I will also use water-meth injection to keep things cool. As explained before, i just want to create a setup that can do 500 whp; i'm convinced that for a daily setup 450 whp is more than enough and perhaps i will then not depend on water meth necessarily, although i will probably run it anyways.

Greetings,
    Jeroen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The Dyno is a Land & Sea Dynomite Axle hub dyno. Hubs connect to the axle, rather than the tire, so there is no change of spinning wheels. Moreover, it therefore simply reads more accurately. The only downside is that it takes about 20 - 30 minutes to connect it to a car, and taking it off is another 15 minutes. But it's very safe. The reading of these dynos is very close to a mustang dyno. Dynojets are notoriously "optimistic", where these dyno's as more the "heart breakers". There can be as much as 10% difference in the readings.
    Thank you for the additional details.