Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

BMW gives USA special edition M3 - We tell them to take it back

BMW unveiled the special edition Frozen Grey M3 today and it was met with collective expressions of "Meh." BMW is only producing 30 units which is 30 units too many in our estimation.

So what does the USA get instead of a CSL and GTS? Well, we get a special matte grey paint job, oooohhhh. Oh, and a unique interior, more form over function to convince ill informed potential buyers that they are getting something special.

Well, what about that motor? The Europeans got a sweet 4.4 liter motor for their special edition M3. What do we get? Well, nothing, same old, same old. It also comes with the same old DCT that was always available. It also comes bundled with the premium package that was already available. It also comes bundled with the competition package that was already available. Uh, what is so special about this thing again?

Oh, you get some special wheels and lowering springs all for $77,620. They even throw in a generous day of BMW performance driving school while laughing all the way to the bank.

This is our special edition BMW? Seriously? This is how you make up for the GTS? This is how you make up for the CSL? This is how you honor the 25th anniversary of the M3? I would write the number to dial to reserve this over-hyped, underhelming and overpriced special nonsense but I value our members too much. Don't waste our time with this crap again, come back with a USA only special edition when you are serious.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn, their race engine would have been sweet.

Do they sell their 180-crankshaft for retrofit?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Haha my reaction before reading the actual post was "Meh"
    Click here to enlarge
    National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Damn, their race engine would have been sweet.

Do they sell their 180-crankshaft for retrofit?
    I don't think so.. you really want a flat-plane crank, eh? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I kinda like it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stahlgrau Click here to enlarge
    I kinda like it.
    If you like M3's I don't see why you wouldn't.

As a special edition M3 goes, this is a joke.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The price seems to be in line with the upgrades/options. Don't know why they're only making 30. Seems like these would sell pretty well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The price seems to be in line with the upgrades/options.
    Yes, the options add up correctly (and were already available) and the price is in line if you are into paying retail. Over 76k for an M3? Who is going to pay that today when the car has already been on the market for a while?

The only thing you are getting discounted here is the paint and the interior. It isn't even really a matter of price but just of an underwhelming special edition. I'd pay much more if it was worth it (GTS?), but it isn't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Guess it depends who you are, whether or not it is "worth it".

$77k is MSRP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Guess it depends who you are, whether or not it is "worth it".

$77k is MSRP.
    I suppose so, to me this is not a special edition just a bunch of stuff they already had laying around thrown together. A CSL is a special edition. A GTS is a special edition. This is just money in the bank for BMW without putting out any effort for the USA.

I sure hope no one pays MSRP for this but salesman will probably convince some people it is "worth it."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't see where it's called "Special Edition" anywhere in the brochure. It's called the Frozen Gray, which it is. It's certainly a limited edition, which sucks.

I also don't see where it says this is supposed to make up for us not getting a GTS or CSL.

It's basically a fully loaded M3 with limited edition paint, interior, and the Performance Driving option which I've heard good things about. Pretty much what they're billing it as and selling it for.

Again, my only complaint is they aren't selling more. It's what I'd get if I was in the market right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think the price puts it at a disadvantage as most people look at the sticker and say hmm...$77k for an M3? Oh wait...the carrera starts at 77.8.

Not to mention it isn't THAT much more...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are you surprised? This is how it's always been with BMWNA...

I do want to see the color in person, hope I get a chance to

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its lame.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't see where it's called "Special Edition" anywhere in the brochure. It's called the Frozen Gray, which it is. It's certainly a limited edition, which sucks.

I also don't see where it says this is supposed to make up for us not getting a GTS or CSL.

It's basically a fully loaded M3 with limited edition paint, interior, and the Performance Driving option which I've heard good things about. Pretty much what they're billing it as and selling it for.

Again, my only complaint is they aren't selling more. It's what I'd get if I was in the market right now.
    I don't have the brochure but this is being portrayed everywhere as a limited "special" M3. It isn't, it is just a fully loaded M3 with special order paint and interior, that's it.

This is what we are getting to honor the 25th anniversary of the M3 in the USA, pathetic. They won't officially say this is supposed to make up for the GTS or CSL but why give us a USA only model that is nothing special?

No one is saying BMW is marketing this as something it isn't. What people are saying is that this is underwhelming and what someone could have already gotten. BMW individual even has better colors to choose from than this grey. This is a waste of a limited edition and an insult to US fans. Either give us a real model like a GTS or CSL or don't insult us.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Some pics:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Frozen Grey M3 Sold out in 15 minutes - Proves USA is Hungry for Special Edition M3

Click here to enlarge

15 minutes after lines opened to reserve the Limited Edition Frozen Grey M3 the 30 vehicles were all spoken for. We would like to remind BMW this happened in the economy they did not feel it was feasible to sell the CSL and GTS in.

Larry Koch, BMWNA M Brand Managers, made the following statement, "We leapt at the chance to bring this truly special vehicle to the United States." You leapt at the chance to throw together existing packages and offer a very nice BMW individual paint and interior for over $77k? These cars are being portrayed as special so there won't be any negotiating in the price so essentially it is just a quick $2.5 million for BMW without the added cost of needing to bring a "real" limited edition M3 to the USA.

Now, this is a nice package but we would advise anyone in the market to simply add the packages to a standard M3 and get themselves a nice discount at the same time. If they really desire, there are several other paint jobs that one can get through BMW individual of which there are far less than 30 of in the USA.

Larry Koch went on to say, “The Frozen Gray M3 is a striking work of sculpture, speed, and style, and perfectly marks the 25th birthday of the M3 model. I’m personally thrilled to see that our customers are as excited about it as we are. We filled the thirty reservation slots within twelve minutes and took the names of at least fifty alternates in the first hour. The 2011 Frozen Gray M3 Coupe will be one of the most unique BMW vehicles ever imported to the US.”"

Now, this statement basically holds true to the standard M3 as well which is a striking work of sculpture, speed, and style. That is exactly what this is, a standard M3, with a different paint color than normally available. It is not really special however I do agree with him that this is one of the most unique BMW vehicles ever imported to the US. That isn't something to be happy about, it is sad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What? what do you mean 15 minutes? Was it like the Iphone 4? A line of 1 customer outside 30 BMW dealerships or maybe a handful of customers at a few dealerships?

Obviously 30 is a low number for any vehicle to be produced, so I guess it would have been sold within a day, but 15 minutes??

Come on BMW, bring a REAL CSL to the US Market!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    What? what do you mean 15 minutes? Was it like the Iphone 4? A line of 1 customer outside 30 BMW dealerships or maybe a handful of customers at a few dealerships?

Obviously 30 is a low number for any vehicle to be produced, so I guess it would have been sold within a day, but 15 minutes??

Come on BMW, bring a REAL CSL to the US Market!
    I'd rather wait in line for the Iphone than for this M3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Only wish there was more than 30 available. Sold out quick! Seems "we" didn't tell them to take it back after all.

So, is there any chance someone in the US could go the Individual route and get the paint/interior?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Only wish there was more than 30 available. Sold out quick!

So, is there any chance someone in the US could go the Individual route and get the paint/interior?
    Absolutely! You just have to find a dealer that is willing to work with you. That is unless BMW won't allow Frozen Grey Individual orders now to protect this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And that's the hard part. Finding a dealer that will allow you to go Individual.

Don't understand why BMW doesn't open up the Individual market. Seems they would stand to make a decent chunk of change with folks that would prefer something different.

Bet that Frozen Gray would be easy to keep clean.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And that's the hard part. Finding a dealer that will allow you to go Individual.

Don't understand why BMW doesn't open up the Individual market. Seems they would stand to make a decent chunk of change with folks that would prefer something different.

Bet that Frozen Gray would be easy to keep clean.
    Matte paint jobs are actually kind of finicky to keep clean or were you being sarcastic?

I'm not really sure why BMW doesn't open up BMW individual more either. I don't really understand it, why have it if it is such a pain to get?

You could do some really interesting things though potentially, Techno violet? Imola Red? Phoenix Yellow? Things no one has.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Matte paint jobs are actually kind of finicky to keep clean or were you being sarcastic?

I'm not really sure why BMW doesn't open up BMW individual more either. I don't really understand it, why have it if it is such a pain to get?

You could do some really interesting things though potentially, Techno violet? Imola Red? Phoenix Yellow? Things no one has.

No, I wasn't being sarcastic. I haven't done any research, but I don't know why a matte paint job would be hard to clean. I don't see what would make it any different. You wouldn't have to worry as much about the swirl marks with a polished reflective metallic paint job, I'd think. Now, I could see how a matte vinyl wrap could be difficult to clean. That's something different.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, I wasn't being sarcastic. I haven't done any research, but I don't know why a matte paint job would be hard to clean. I don't see what would make it any different. You wouldn't have to worry as much about the swirl marks with a polished reflective metallic paint job, I'd think. Now, I could see how a matte vinyl wrap could be difficult to clean. That's something different.
    I don't have any hands on experience in this area I just have been reading that matte paint tends to scratch easily and is difficult to keep free of blemishes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast