Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by wtfmateim65 Click here to enlarge
    New e85 station just opened in Fullerton! 1124 E Chapman Ave! $3.59 a gal. Stocked up on 2 extra 5 gal cans and filled the tank with 7.2 gallons for an approx 45/55 mix with 91. Car is ripping Map 7 on jb4 apart insanely smooth pulling with vicious throttle response!It literally feels like the meth map slightly less violent, I can't imagine when the meth is flowing on top again once I get the damn tank leak fixed.
    I wish I had one close by. Closest is up in Ventura. I'll head up with a few empty gas cans next week probably.

PS. Help test out our newE85 compatible Map5 firmware. It's posted on n54tech. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Found an E85 station about 45 miles away from me...once i get the car back i'll give it a shot with RBs and Cobb's fueling see how it turns out
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do tell where please......closest one I googled was in Ottawa. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Guelph
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lol....UPI gas station in Wellington then!

One hour drive each way.

sigh.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Guelph
    UPI
    7042 County Road 124 Guelph/Eramosa, ON N1H 6J4

Ed Taylor fuels
    345 Franklin Blvd, Cambridge, ON, N1R

I have to drive by both of these to get to my new office in Guelph

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by farbmw Click here to enlarge
    UPI
    7042 County Road 124 Guelph/Eramosa, ON N1H 6J4

Ed Taylor fuels
    345 Franklin Blvd, Cambridge, ON, N1R

I have to drive by both of these to get to my new office in Guelph
    you got it! any chance you could get me a few gallons when you go? would love to try it
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Really? There's one in Ventura? I went on a road trip with my girlfriend to Ventura not too long ago and I couldn't find any E85 stations. I even ask local enthusiast and they had no idea. I really don't understand how you guys can stand running 91 oct. I eventually just put my car into stock mode and went about my business.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is there any benefit at all for mixing E85 with 93 octane? If so, what ratio is recommended? I have the suspicion that the 93 octane they sell here in Chicago is more like a 91. The quality seems piss poor even from Marathon and Shell gas stations which are supposed to be Tier 1.

...on the other hand, I have no desires to damage any fuel system components.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think the problem with ethanol and heat is different than what it may have been described here. Ethanol leaves a nasty sticky residue at high temperatures. The way I understand it is that it can "carbonize" or "caramelize" when left sitting on top of heated components. So imagine what happens to the inside of the hot injectors when you shut off the engine: the fuel no longer flows and it has time to sit idle at the injector tip because the fuel lines are pressurized after the HPFP. It would explain why BMW has a procedure for cleaning the injectors while they are testing them for damage under the recall plan.

If I am to make a guess, and this is just a guess, I think this may be one of the reasons why the N54 injectors fail so quickly here in the states. We have 10% mandated ethanol and they are already pushing for 15% ethanol blend mandatory.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't think we can make that determination until we have data of all failures world-wide, and what % ethanol content in the fuel per area.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    I don't think we can make that determination until we have data of all failures world-wide, and what % ethanol content in the fuel per area.

True, I can't argue that. All I know is that I've been following the N54 community in various forums since 2009 and I do notice that people in Europe complain about injectors a lot less than we do here in the states. That's all.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What pisses me of the most is the Chicago Home Rule orginance. They are not allowing pure gasolene to be sold in the Chicago metro area. It is designed to increase the fuel consumption, therefore the taxes that are being collected in the municipalities. Click here to enlarge

Here is a Google Earth map of the area. The yellow pins show ethanol free gas stations:
    Click here to enlarge
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Seems everybody is going nuts with e85, good many people are testing it since i forecast fueling failures soon . If not good for us.
    E85 can provide huge benefits, just look how @bigtom car performed in the videos. I was codriving and the usual drop on performance with the n54 on high gears was gone.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Vas: you have a red bmw? Not the best color ;-)only ferrari should be red ;-)
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmwm3gt Click here to enlarge
    Really? There's one in Ventura? I went on a road trip with my girlfriend to Ventura not too long ago and I couldn't find any E85 stations. I even ask local enthusiast and they had no idea. I really don't understand how you guys can stand running 91 oct. I eventually just put my car into stock mode and went about my business.
    Silvas Oil Company, Inc.6417 Ventura Blvd
    Ventura, CA 93003

Thats where I get all my e85. I just bring three 5 gallon gas cans with me and top of my tank with 5 gallons every few weeks. There's an e85 pump at Vandenburg Airforce Base which is 10 mintutes from me, but you have to be in the miltary to buy gas from it. I need to find someone on base who is into cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    I been running 40% E85 for over a year now, no issues except traction Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    Vas: you have a red bmw? Not the best color ;-)only ferrari should be red ;-)

I like shiny! Especially shiny red! So yeah, I have a shiny red BMW, LOL Click here to enlarge
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I talked to the engineer of the fuel system of the N54 engine. He strongly advices against running E85 if you're going to run it it hot a lot. Above 100 Celsius, the internals of the Siemens injectors start to leak when running E85. This was proven by their extensive testing. Maybe your car will hold. Maybe it won't. I suggest you don't try to find out.

He did say that as long as temperatures stay (well) below 100 C of the injectors, they behave well. Since we're boosting our car, and we run the engine hotter, i don't think E85 and the E9x 335i is not a blessed marriage. Maybe there is hope if Siemens (or Bosch) will developer E85 safe injectors for the car. Until that time ,i'll stay away from this fuel.

Of course mixing the E85 down will lower the risk; i know that in Germany E10 is completely normal and BMW garantuees that the engine will work with it. Where the threshold lies of the mix, i don't know.

Bottom line: don't underestimate the quality of testing of the Siemens department, responsible for designing the fuel system of the N54B30. If they say don't do it our type of boosted driving (e.g. track days), i tend to listen to them.

greetings,
    Jeroen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    Silvas Oil Company, Inc.6417 Ventura Blvd
    Ventura, CA 93003

Thats where I get all my e85. I just bring three 5 gallon gas cans with me and top of my tank with 5 gallons every few weeks. There's an e85 pump at Vandenburg Airforce Base which is 10 mintutes from me, but you have to be in the miltary to buy gas from it. I need to find someone on base who is into cars.
    Good stuff, thanks.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dubversion Click here to enlarge
    I talked to the engineer of the fuel system of the N54 engine. He strongly advices against running E85 if you're going to run it it hot a lot. Above 100 Celsius, the internals of the Siemens injectors start to leak when running E85. This was proven by their extensive testing. Maybe your car will hold. Maybe it won't. I suggest you don't try to find out.

He did say that as long as temperatures stay (well) below 100 C of the injectors, they behave well. Since we're boosting our car, and we run the engine hotter, i don't think E85 and the E9x 335i is not a blessed marriage. Maybe there is hope if Siemens (or Bosch) will developer E85 safe injectors for the car. Until that time ,i'll stay away from this fuel.

Of course mixing the E85 down will lower the risk; i know that in Germany E10 is completely normal and BMW garantuees that the engine will work with it. Where the threshold lies of the mix, i don't know.

Bottom line: don't underestimate the quality of testing of the Siemens department, responsible for designing the fuel system of the N54B30. If they say don't do it our type of boosted driving (e.g. track days), i tend to listen to them.

greetings,
    Jeroen
    How do you have access to this engineer?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Hi Sticky,

I have his email and phone number. I haven't talked to him in a while, but i promised him that when i have my project car ready, i'll drive to Germany to give him a ride (i live in the Netherlands).

Greetings,
    Jeroen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If tuned for it the engine needs at least 30% more ethanol than petrol, so a 40% mix with E85 would give you close to 30-34% ethanol, wouldnt the extra 10% fuel needed help cool the injectors even more?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hi xbox,

I'm not quite sure how the heat makes its way to the injectors, but i since it's direct injection and they go thru the cylinder wall, the combustion energy is partially transferred to the injectors. Under normal conditions, the injectors do not heat up to 100 C, but when racing the car, under extended heavier load, it apparently did happen in their test setup. I figure that the fact that the combustion temperature for alcohol is lower than of gasoline does not make up for the excess heat.

Again, perhaps the way some people use their car, the injectors will never be subject of the critical scenario. But do you really want to find out ? We're talking about leaking alcohol while under heavy load in a high pressured system. This is a potential lethal combination.

greetings,
    Jeroen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    you got it! any chance you could get me a few gallons when you go? would love to try it
    Sure I just need a gas container, so when your ready let me know and I will pick some up!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast