Close

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    Good news...then maybe we can run 100% E85 soon lol just joking Click here to enlarge

Maybe you can tune a FBO N54 running E85 for your next project at Pro Tuning Freaks...That would be cool
    Alternate fuel support is in the works at Cobb and we'd be delighted to calibrate it provided the stock fuel system's hardware is ready to play along without issues...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The problem with sporadic sputter didn't changed after replacement of the fuel pressure sensor. The fault code did disappear but the problem remains and now I get codes for Lean Cylinder bank #1. I hope it will be possible to see on the plugs which of cylinder 1 to 3 that runs lean. It should be an injector issue since the engine can sputter already at cold start, when the O2 sensors are not used.

The car will be checked up by BMW later and get all injectors from suspected batch replaced. At the moment I'm just changing the faulty injector myself to keep the car running.

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by R1000K3; 07-07-2012 at 05:55 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just threw another 29E1 code with a SES, guessing too much E85, i did a 8 gallon (93 octane) to 5-6 gallon of E85...
    Gona throw in another gallon or 2 of 93 octane.
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I pulled out the plugs. Plug 4,5 and 6 looks perfect. 1 and 3 are very sooty and #2 is also a bit dark. All plugs in bank 1 have misfired. The plugs are very new. So it seems all injectors in bank #1 have failed. It may be a coincident with the start of using E85 but it could also be a connection.

All 6 injectors are from the same batch, one of the batches that qualifies for replacement according to BMW's service bulletin SI B13 14 10.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @R1000K3, I'd definitely get BMW to replace those as I think they fall under their fuel injector/hpfp recall
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Agree, I have time booked for this at BMW. The plan was to get the car running properly in the meantime by replacing a faulty injector, but I drop this since several are failed.

It is a bit scaring, the car has been running very good up to now and suddenly 3 injectors have failed. It is hard to believe they haven't degraded over time to the point where it causes warnings and occasional limp modes, i.e. the fuel supply has not been what it should for some time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    Just threw another 29E1 code with a SES, guessing too much E85, i did a 8 gallon (93 octane) to 5-6 gallon of E85...
    Gona throw in another gallon or 2 of 93 octane.
    I have noticed that I'm more prone to throwing these codes when I fill up with back to back E85 mixes.
    After more than two consecutive fill ups the codes seem to pop up more frequently.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    I have noticed that I'm more prone to throwing these codes when I fill up with back to back E85 mixes.
    After more than two consecutive fill ups the codes seem to pop up more frequently.
    It might be very hard to ensure the exact mixes stay the same over consecutive fillups. On top of that the trims will have a high likelihood of exceeding max if you suddenly put in more than 50% e85 in your tank due to 34% max that is available in fuel trims. Without full control over your mix (pre-mixing it and knowing exactly the mixture you're filling up with) i think using E85 with 50% will always tend to cause issues especially on high boost/timing where trims are already being maxed.

Hopefully once Cobb works out the details from inside the DME we'll have the ability to just run straight E85 in the tank and have the trims not follow gasoline type fuel mass calculations. Research is already under way so we'll see, fingers crossed. I'd love to try it on my car as well, too bad my car's down and the nearest e85 station that may/may not sell to the general public is about 45mins away hwy drive Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    It might be very hard to ensure the exact mixes stay the same over consecutive fillups. On top of that the trims will have a high likelihood of exceeding max if you suddenly put in more than 50% e85 in your tank due to 34% max that is available in fuel trims. Without full control over your mix (pre-mixing it and knowing exactly the mixture you're filling up with) i think using E85 with 50% will always tend to cause issues especially on high boost/timing where trims are already being maxed.
    Definately tough to get a consistant mix. I usually go with out filling up again until I see "--- miles till empty" (I know I know) to try to keep the mix as close as possible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I try to be as consistent as possible... Im going to enable autoclear, Terry said should take care of it..(not popping up a SES for this)
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe always try to put in the pump gas portion first, X galons, and then knowing X galons of pump you can calculate the % of E85 and pour that on top...i think that should work in most cases pretty well
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Maybe always try to put in the pump gas portion first, X galons, and then knowing X galons of pump you can calculate the % of E85 and pour that on top...i think that should work in most cases pretty well
    Yup thats what i do, i put the pump gas in first then the E85.

Went on a 150 miles road trip today including hella traffic.. Threw no codes and car drove great..
    Same tank the other nite i threw a SES light which was for a 29E1 fuel control mixture 2...
    I guess the car just is a lil sensitive certain times i have no idea? Dont mind it anyways, not a big deal.
    ///M5 LCI

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456