Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Cracked Windsheild Filler Necks - Your Thoughts

By now I'm sure most of you have seen the thead on e90p about this issue. It seems to be much more common than I originally thought. I know a few of you are all for a trunk mount system, and in an ideal world this would be the solution. I am however looking for a driver side fender solution, posisbly with an accordian filler neck to protrude through the hole which some use for a CAI. Terry, any interest in producing something similar?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I'd love to be able to squeeze a bigger tank in there...plenty of room in the fender
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I would be happy with relocating a 1Gal universal tank to the cold side. Plastic weld a filler neck on there, use BMS' top drawn siphon cap, BAM quick and simple engine fire mitigation. Which lets face it, is pretty $#@!in devistating. It would also prevent meth boil. No downsides!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    I would be happy with relocating a 1Gal universal tank to the cold side. Plastic weld a filler neck on there, use BMS' top drawn siphon cap, BAM quick and simple engine fire mitigation. Which lets face it, is pretty $#@!in devistating. It would also prevent meth boil. No downsides!
    My BMS kit should be here any day now and I will be looking into relocation right away. No promises but if there's a way to do it I think I have a good shot at pulling it off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

I think the OEM WW tank is perfectly safe and much safer overall than a trunk mount kit in many ways. But the key is using a 49/51 or lower ratio meth mixture. Which isn't much stronger than cold weather washer fluid. Keep the higher mixtures for track only duty and go back to a proven safe mix when back on the street IMHO. Also, pay attention to how you route the lines. They should go over the cowl rather than under it.

I've only known of a couple cars that had fire related issues and both were running very flammable mixtures, had line routing issues, etc, that contributed. For those that are overly concerned we carry tank kits too.

PS. It's also important to use some common sense. If you are filling your meth tank and see fluid dropping out from under the car, you're either over filling it or have a leaky WW tank. So pull the fender and inspect it. Also, I suggest a vent hole in the top of the WW cap to supplement the OEM tank vent. The WW tank and neck are not really designed to stand up to vacuum over time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I think the OEM WW tank is perfectly safe and much safer overall than a trunk mount kit in many ways. But the key is using a 49/51 or lower ratio meth mixture. Which isn't much stronger than cold weather washer fluid. Keep the higher mixtures for track only duty and go back to a proven safe mix when back on the street IMHO. Also, pay attention to how you route the lines. They should go over the cowl rather than under it.

I've only known of a couple cars that had fire related issues and both were running very flammable mixtures, had line routing issues, etc, that contributed. For those that are overly concerned we carry tank kits too.

PS. It's also important to use some common sense. If you are filling your meth tank and see fluid dropping out from under the car, you're either over filling it or have a leaky WW tank. So pull the fender and inspect it. Also, I suggest a vent hole in the top of the WW cap to supplement the OEM tank vent. The WW tank and neck are not really designed to stand up to vacuum over time.
    I've been running 90/10 for over 6 months Click here to enlarge
    Not too worried though. Maybe I will put my line over the cowl. I dont see too much of a problem with it being under it though.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

If you want to run stronger than a 60% mix full time I'd probably suggest the trunk mount tank in that case. I've always used a 49/51 (street legal) mix in our cars for daily use, and just make it stronger for track days, etc, as needed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

If you want to run stronger than a 60% mix full time I'd probably suggest the trunk mount tank in that case. I've always used a 49/51 (street legal) mix in our cars for daily use, and just make it stronger for track days, etc, as needed.
    I actually have a trunk mount kit sitting in my closet. I prefer not to uptake methanol vapor. I might tone down the mixture strength.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Just keep in mind with trunk mount kits and higher meth mixtures a fire is slightly less likely, but if there were to be a fire it would be much more dangerous to the passengers. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I prefer to keep flammable fluids behind a fire wall when possible. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Just keep in mind with trunk mount kits and higher meth mixtures a fire is slightly less likely, but if there were to be a fire it would be much more dangerous to the passengers. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I prefer to keep flammable fluids behind a fire wall when possible. Click here to enlarge
    Very true. The autoignition temperature of pure methanol is something like 385* C, so as long as it doesn't come in contact with the turbos I should be okay. I think it would be a very good idea to move the tank to the drivers side, or make a custom tank to go in place of the current one.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That other thread is getting me worried and paranoid - i double check my stuff like twice a day now lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RaihaX Click here to enlarge
    That other thread is getting me worried and paranoid - i double check my stuff like twice a day now lol.
    Don't listen to jeff@topgearsolutions, he is a complete idiot.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

My main concern is not the neck itself, its where the neck connects to the tank. I'll pull mine apart over the next week to understand the stack up a little more before making any significant claims. But that connection seperating and spilling a decent amount of water/meth (its located on the half line) onto very hot turbos would instantly vaporize the mixture and cause elements to seperate (methinks), and mixtures not combustable as a liquid are suddenly very combustable when hitting an 800* plate. I'll see how much acetylene I have left, I'll be happy to heat up a plate and throw some mix at it. Either way, there are no arguments AGAINST relocating a tank to the driver fender.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
    Don't listen to jeff@topgearsolutions, he is a complete idiot.
    Why?
    I can't see the idiocy in his words in this particular discussion.
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

don't mean to derail, but Terry can't the fender be pulled off with out removing the bumper ?
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

I'm fairly sure you can get to it with the liner removed, just by taking the tire off, but I haven't tried myself.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Terry is right, leave the hood kits at 49 or less meth. Anything higher, run a trunk mount. I believe I was highly against these kits when they first came out. I even think I called terry an idiot to mount the pump on the passenger side like originally wanted to. No offense terry lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

if you want to go under the hood, i would just make sure every seal is perfect, and probably invest in SS lines. if you want to hide it, get black lines, or just use wireloom to conceal it. But i think safety should be a high consideration when dealing with methanol in general

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I'm fairly sure you can get to it with the liner removed, just by taking the tire off, but I haven't tried myself.
    That's all that's needed. I pulled the wheel, lowered the liner and was able to pull the tank out that way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    That's all that's needed. I pulled the wheel, lowered the liner and was able to pull the tank out that way.
    I haven't pulled the wheel yet to look at it but i put my charge pipe on today and was looking to remove the plastic fender liner. Did you end up just popping out part of the inner fender liner by pulling it away from the frame rail/apron area or did you have to remove fasteners near the outside edge closer to the painted part of the fender?

I ask as I was looking at it today the fasteners near the outer edge of the plastic fender liner are some kind of plastic rivet that's not entirely clear how to remove or if it's even reusable. My car is a 2011 335xi.

Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I pulled all the stuff off. That plastic rivet has a center that needs to be pushed though, then you can pull the rivet out. Retrieve the center of the rivet for when you reinstall the fender liner. You just put the rivet back in, then push the black center piece back in until it's flush.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    I pulled all the stuff off. That plastic rivet has a center that needs to be pushed though, then you can pull the rivet out. Retrieve the center of the rivet for when you reinstall the fender liner. You just put the rivet back in, then push the black center piece back in until it's flush.
    Thanks for the info Ryan. It's good to know someone already was able to remove and reuse the rivet. I didn't want to have to chase down new ones if I worked on them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

This is 100% accurate for the 335i. I have done it several times (including one time I had a leak - seals in the oem washer pump went, causing fluid to leak from the weeping hole)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    This is 100% accurate for the 335i. I have done it several times (including one time I had a leak - seals in the oem washer pump went, causing fluid to leak from the weeping hole)
    also accurate for the 135i Click here to enlarge had to clean the filter causing meth to not flow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I have the trunk mount kit and ran 100% meth for over 9 months Click here to enlarge

Just don't do that under the hood.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast