Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    left lane
    Posts
    934
    Rep Points
    218.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    S54 Tuning...Turbo aplication not supercharged

    I wanted to open up a thread in regards to s54 tuning and boost applications,,, Other than HPF, What is going on? Gintani i heard has been working on it for a while .. . I know NickG said he can/might be able to crack it if the price is right..

    Now earlier on m3forums i caught glimpse of a thread about a guy in sweeden or uk or somewhere overseas that has been working on this sort of application. What do you know?

    I see these cars getting cheaper and cheaper and i see that there will be demand in this for entreprenours (i spelled that wrong) that want to build custom turbos and would rather peice the stuff together than drop 20k at hpf's headquarters....
    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,173
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 05m3smg Click here to enlarge
    I wanted to open up a thread in regards to s54 tuning and boost applications,,, Other than HPF, What is going on? Gintani i heard has been working on it for a while .. . I know NickG said he can/might be able to crack it if the price is right..

    Now earlier on m3forums i caught glimpse of a thread about a guy in sweeden or uk or somewhere overseas that has been working on this sort of application. What do you know?

    I see these cars getting cheaper and cheaper and i see that there will be demand in this for entreprenours (i spelled that wrong) that want to build custom turbos and would rather peice the stuff together than drop 20k at hpf's headquarters....
    Awesome topic. It would be great for someone like Nickg to make tunes using the Factory Dme. If anyone can do it I think he could.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    left lane
    Posts
    934
    Rep Points
    218.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Awesome topic. It would be great for someone like Nickg to make tunes using the Factory Dme. If anyone can do it I think he could.
    Nick would need a motive to do this ($$$and a alot of it) and im thinking that there are people that are out there that are already working on it... I can build a turbo kit but tuning is not my thing... I know there are people that are the other way around.
    Click here to enlarge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,808
    Rep Points
    31,800.0
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Gintani is not doing a factory DME application any longer. There has not been an official decision on if their setup will be made into a kit for sale or remain a one off

    HPF really is the only solid option still.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    left lane
    Posts
    934
    Rep Points
    218.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Gintani is not doing a factory DME application any longer. There has not been an official decision on if their setup will be made into a kit for sale or remain a one off

    HPF really is the only solid option still.
    Yea but hpf will not sell the aem box they have to people that want to build their own kits Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,173
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 05m3smg Click here to enlarge
    Yea but hpf will not sell the aem box they have to people that want to build their own kits Click here to enlarge
    It is sad they have whored away that box from the rest of the humans, but they do build a nice kit that does produce good power. If you were to pick up a HPF kit I know that Max Psi will install it for free. Not a bad deal in my eyes.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    left lane
    Posts
    934
    Rep Points
    218.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    It is sad they have whored away that box from the rest of the humans, but they do build a nice kit that does produce good power. If you were to pick up a HPF kit I know that Max Psi will install it for free. Not a bad deal in my eyes.
    That is a very good deal, But not what I am trying to accomplish...
    Click here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,173
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 05m3smg Click here to enlarge
    That is a very good deal, But not what I am trying to accomplish...
    Seems like you need to pay a visit to Nickg then. 8-)
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    left lane
    Posts
    934
    Rep Points
    218.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Seems like you need to pay a visit to Nickg then. 8-)
    I have talked 2 him... With him I would be starting from scratch and it will be a great investment. I really am not able to write a blank check 2 sum 1.... Make sense?
    Click here to enlarge

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,173
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 05m3smg Click here to enlarge
    I have talked 2 him... With him I would be starting from scratch and it will be a great investment. I really am not able to write a blank check 2 sum 1.... Make sense?
    Well we all know he is a great tuner and can pull it off, but the cost maybe high for the first off dme tuned turbo e46 m3. I'm not sure if AA did 1 or not. I know Taza had AA do his but it wasnt with the factory Dme.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    left lane
    Posts
    934
    Rep Points
    218.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Well we all know he is a great tuner and can pull it off, but the cost maybe high for the first off dme tuned turbo e46 m3. I'm not sure if AA did 1 or not. I know Taza had AA do his but it wasnt with the factory Dme.
    I talked to Karl at AA as well, they used the aem box and aem probably gave some insight before they signed their rights away to HPF. AA does not want to reproduce with what they did with taza's car.. Maybe taz can chime in and correct me if im wrong as to what happened?
    Click here to enlarge

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,173
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 05m3smg Click here to enlarge
    I talked to Karl at AA as well, they used the aem box and aem probably gave some insight before they signed their rights away to HPF. AA does not want to reproduce with what they did with taza's car.. Maybe taz can chime in and correct me if im wrong as to what happened?
    yea I know some info on that. I do think Nickg will be the first to come to the market with a dme e46 m3 turbo kit. When that does happen many will weep tears of joy.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    293
    Rep Points
    226.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Savspeed: claimed to be DME tune, now claims to be DME + piggyback. Their dynos show all sorts of holes and I imagine driveability isn't stock-like
    AA: attempted to tune the DME, made some progress, then went AEM/DME
    HPF: attempted to tune the DME, got frustrated with progress, went custom AEM
    Gintani: attempted to tune the DME, got it running (but apparently not well enough), now going with AEM
    Mert: attempted to tune the DME, then went AEM, then went motec (IIRC)
    O2pruv: went AEM, and now went Autronic? for DBW
    ???: rear-mount setup, piggyback AIC


    Perhaps NickG really is the $#@!, but I'm not convinced that he could make the DME work well enough.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,173
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
    Savspeed: claimed to be DME tune, now claims to be DME + piggyback. Their dynos show all sorts of holes and I imagine driveability isn't stock-like
    AA: attempted to tune the DME, made some progress, then went AEM/DME
    HPF: attempted to tune the DME, got frustrated with progress, went custom AEM
    Gintani: attempted to tune the DME, got it running (but apparently not well enough), now going with AEM
    Mert: attempted to tune the DME, then went AEM, then went motec (IIRC)
    O2pruv: went AEM, and now went Autronic? for DBW
    ???: rear-mount setup, piggyback AIC


    Perhaps NickG really is the $#@!, but I'm not convinced that he could make the DME work well enough.
    I wonder if the power levels most are reaching for caused the tuning issues, or just thats it that much of a pain in the ass to do. I have a feeling the last part is the correct part. I guess will shall wait and see what Nickg can do. If he cant do et all hope will be lost, and HPF will RAPE the market for some time to come.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    849
    Rep Points
    176.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    From what i know it would be very tough to get the a turbo S54 running solely on the stock ECU. Maybe full throttle runs would be ok, but as far as driveability, i really dont know. AA did 2 turbo S54's, mine and Tony Kanaan's old car (sold to someone else recently). Also from what i know that car runs great as well. AA used a universal stand alone AEM box and had a very good AEM tuner/installer working for them at the time much like HPF did.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    849
    Rep Points
    176.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
    Savspeed: claimed to be DME tune, now claims to be DME + piggyback. Their dynos show all sorts of holes and I imagine driveability isn't stock-like
    UK automotive claims they have a savspeed kit installed M3 that is running just the stock ECU. I dont know how much of that is true though...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,173
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TaZaM3 Click here to enlarge
    From what i know it would be very tough to get the a turbo S54 running solely on the stock ECU. Maybe full throttle runs would be ok, but as far as driveability, i really dont know. AA did 2 turbo S54's, mine and Tony Kanaan's old car (sold to someone else recently). Also from what i know that car runs great as well. AA used a universal stand alone AEM box and had a very good AEM tuner/installer working for them at the time much like HPF did.
    So HPF no longer has that AEM tuner working for them? Also Tony Kanaan's car was AEM as well?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,173
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TaZaM3 Click here to enlarge
    UK automotive claims they have a savspeed kit installed M3 that is running just the stock ECU. I dont know how much of that is true though...
    Interesting I wonder if it will pop up in 1 of those UK BMW based mag's soon, or has it already?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    849
    Rep Points
    176.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    So HPF no longer has that AEM tuner working for them? Also Tony Kanaan's car was AEM as well?
    Correct, HPF no longer has JP with them. He was probably paid a sum to complete the project for them or had a term contract. He is much expensive to keep on board...

    Tony's car was also AEM/stock ecu like mine.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    left lane
    Posts
    934
    Rep Points
    218.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Any more info on this UK thing, Any llinks?
    Click here to enlarge

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Venice CA
    Posts
    654
    Rep Points
    568.9
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Tuning the mss54 for a turbo is a very long and difficult process. I do believe it can be done. It's just a matter of who is going to spend the massive amount of time it will take to accomplish it.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    left lane
    Posts
    934
    Rep Points
    218.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TaZaM3 Click here to enlarge
    Correct, HPF no longer has JP with them. He was probably paid a sum to complete the project for them or had a term contract. He is much expensive to keep on board...

    Tony's car was also AEM/stock ecu like mine.
    Who is this Jp? Do you have means of contacting him?
    Click here to enlarge

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    293
    Rep Points
    226.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 05m3smg Click here to enlarge
    Who is this Jp? Do you have means of contacting him?
    He was one of like 3 main "Jx" engineers involved with developing the AEM ems (JR, JS, and JP IIRC). Not sure how to get ahold of him, but if I needed a tuner, my money would go to John Reed: http://www.johnreedracing.com/

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,173
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 05m3smg Click here to enlarge
    Who is this Jp? Do you have means of contacting him?
    He is another tuner I trained. He is are hard human to get in contact with.


    i keed.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,808
    Rep Points
    31,800.0
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 05m3smg Click here to enlarge
    Yea but hpf will not sell the aem box they have to people that want to build their own kits Click here to enlarge
    Nope... and I don't blame them.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •