Close

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    26
    Rep Points
    44.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No

    ASR stage 3 m5 question

    hey guys this might be a stupid question. i have an 07 m5 stage 3 asr nitrous package. i bought this car used and don't really know much about the kit. asr is impossible to talk to and went out of business i guess. i was wondering if any of you know about the kit and could tell me if that package has performance software for the car as in not using the nos? i know it has to have a special tune for when its being sprayed. but i guess my question is can a performance software be installed for just the basic m driving functions of the car. would it inter fear with the other software? just want to know what my options are at this point. i have added headers and a pulley since and wanted to tune the car for that. any help would be greatly appreciated..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,214
    Rep Points
    27,151.9
    Mentioned
    1831 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272


    Reputation: Yes | No
    The kits were tuned by Active Autowerke as I recall. It's just a simple nitrous kit and the tune is designed to pull timing.

    If you get software installed it will advance timing and you won't want to use the nitrous. A good tune won't interfere with the other functions of the car but you can't switch tunes on the fly so it's either nitrous tune or no nitrous tune.

    Then again, you can also get a good tune and then a direct port nitrous setup for the best of both worlds.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,660
    Rep Points
    -593.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    What Sticky said is right, you can't change tune.

    Be sure to only use nitrous in M mode, iirc correctly the tune only advance timing in M mode so if you use nitrous in non M Mode, you are adding 200 shots to a car which is not tuned for nitrous.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,214
    Rep Points
    27,151.9
    Mentioned
    1831 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Of course I'm right.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,660
    Rep Points
    -593.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course I'm right.
    I feel bad for your future wife. Poor woman (man?) Click here to enlarge lol

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,214
    Rep Points
    27,151.9
    Mentioned
    1831 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I feel bad for your future wife. Poor woman (man?) Click here to enlarge lol
    Well it will be a woman and I feel bad for her too. Women may be too ruined by the time I am ready though.

    Just want a cool chick, do not even care about looks so much anymore. Great, maybe I should have kept my ex.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    26
    Rep Points
    44.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    ok thanks for the info. i haven't even used the nos yet the bottle is empty. I'm debating on which route to go with? how reliable are these kits? have any blown up? do i have to worry about harming the motor? its got 73000 miles on it... kind of a lot. if i was to say hell with the nos and go with a tune with the mods i got what one do you guys recommend?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,214
    Rep Points
    27,151.9
    Mentioned
    1831 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ballsdeepm3 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ok thanks for the info. i haven't even used the nos yet the bottle is empty. I'm debating on which route to go with? how reliable are these kits? have any blown up? do i have to worry about harming the motor? its got 73000 miles on it... kind of a lot. if i was to say hell with the nos and go with a tune with the mods i got what one do you guys recommend?
    That motor loves nitrous.

    @JAWS Motorsport and @evolve are both doing great things with your motor.

    I say you do not abandon the nitrous as you already have it. Just get proper tunes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,660
    Rep Points
    -593.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Didn't @M5Junky blow his engine up with the NOS?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,310
    Rep Points
    1,907.9
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    20


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ballsdeepm3 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ok thanks for the info. i haven't even used the nos yet the bottle is empty. I'm debating on which route to go with? how reliable are these kits? have any blown up? do i have to worry about harming the motor? its got 73000 miles on it... kind of a lot. if i was to say hell with the nos and go with a tune with the mods i got what one do you guys recommend?
    The gamble with buying the car with the kit on is if BMW somewhere along the line updated the software over writing the low timing tune? Maybe email Active and ask where the rev limiter was set. Then see if your car goes past the stock limiter in the event Active raises it.
    E90 335iA Custom Flash, AR Design DP, Helix Cooler, Stett Chargepipe, Coolingmist Meth, BMS Dual Cones, AR DP's, M3 Diff, RB Turbos and AE Exhaust
    2009 C63 Weistec Stage 3 built everything
    2014 Golf 7 R
    2014 Golf 7 GTI

    Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,214
    Rep Points
    27,151.9
    Mentioned
    1831 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't @M5Junky blow his engine up with the NOS?
    Which guy is M5junky? I vaguely remember something about this.

    A proper setup won't blow the motor. Nitrous gets a bad wrap. Call it nitrous please...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,660
    Rep Points
    -593.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which guy is M5junky? I vaguely remember something about this.

    A proper setup won't blow the motor. Nitrous gets a bad wrap. Call it nitrous please...
    The guy who gave his car to ASR to do a twin turbo setup, not M5Ranger, the other guy.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,214
    Rep Points
    27,151.9
    Mentioned
    1831 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The guy who gave his car to ASR to do a twin turbo setup, not M5Ranger, the other guy.
    Ah, yes. Are you sure it was the nitrous that caused a motor failure?

    Regardless, direct port is the way to go on this motor. It powered a car into the 10's... come on.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,660
    Rep Points
    -593.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah, yes. Are you sure it was the nitrous that caused a motor failure?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M5 Junky
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still don't know what happened to my engine. Ever since I had installed the nitrous I had 3 times where a loud THUD happened when hitting it. The third time was the charm when it spun a rod. Abid told me when I shipped it back to him that he "inspected it" and that one of the wrist pins on one of the pistons was super thin, and that's why it spun. Have no idea the truth. I've gotten feed back from others and they say what probably happened was one hell of an explosion occurred in one of the cylinders and that's what broke it.. Who knows. I never saw the internal parts that Abid said were faulty from BMW. I doubt this was the case. I believe ALL M engines are hand assembled. I would think a guy putting the engine together on the BMW line would have caught it. Dunno. I always ran a 150 shot. Abid told me once that I could do a 250 before I went to Dallas, but I was too nervous to try it, so I never tried it. (reason for not trying it.. The Dyno shop I used to go to locally had an explosion, and fire at it because some kid came into my guys Dyno shop - said he was doing a 150 shot on a camaro, but was really doing a 250. Guy fried the shop backwall - so I thought "not a good idea"). I stayed safe, or at least I thought I was safe. It's funny you say they were taking the bigger shots. I wonder from time to time how everyone else's set ups are doing that ASR did for NOS. We never hear, but I'm sure that's what did juan's and my car in. No trying to spread a $#@! storm over NOS now, but I wonder from time to time - that's all..
    ...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    109,214
    Rep Points
    27,151.9
    Mentioned
    1831 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    272


    Reputation: Yes | No
    too much to read right now but ya, direct port.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Posts
    2,657
    Rep Points
    2,079.1
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Reputation: Yes | No
    You can speak to Sal@evolve and see what they can do for the tune with the NOS. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge



    EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •