Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

2012 335i F30 Sedan - Test Drive and Review

Click here to enlarge

So I'll start off by saying that the new 2012 F30 3-series is a killer when it comes to looks. From the concepts, I wasn't sure if I would even appreciate the new design at all, however when seeing it in person, I was shocked at how aggressive and sporty it looked!

I went to Momentum's test drive event and they had a nice red 335i sitting out in front. I told the service rep. to let me at it. Right off the bat, as he handed me the Key-fob, I noticed it was definitely different than the one I had in my pocket. It had this "red aluminum" accent around it. It might have been something to do with the F30 having the "sports-line" package as the interior had the same accented-trim.

Click here to enlarge

Speaking of the interior, it was gorgeous! It made my 335i's interior look like something from the stone ages! The seats were extremely comfortable and plenty of room in the back as well. The technology in the car was superb. I didn't have enough time to notice everything but there were several things. From the different driving modes, to the advanced "top-down" rear-view camera, to the Heads up display, the car was loaded with technological amenities! It also had the "blind-spot" cameras on the sides of the front bumpers, AND THANK GOD! They finally moved the cup holders to the middle instead of the awkward locations on the passenger side! Additionally, the seat memory buttons are easily accessible on the side panel as oppose to being on the bottom of the seat near the adjustment buttons.

Click here to enlarge

From the hand-stitched seats, to the red accented aluminum trim, the interior was simply stunning. The entire car felt as though it was from the future. It was great.

Click here to enlarge

So continuing...to the drive! As soon as the Customer Service rep jumped in, he knew what I was there for - a test drive. He immediately turned the traction off and as we got on to the feeder, he gave me the thumbs up. Mind you, this isn't the Twin-turbo N54, but the twin-scroll N55. The transmission was the 8-speed "sport" automatic. They didn't have any 6-speeds at the event but it is available as an option ("step-tronic," the 6-speed manual, and the 8-speed sport to name them all).

I had it in the manual shifting mode (which they finally changed the paddles to + and -, as oppose to both paddles being able to shift up and down) which responded lightning quick to shift-changes. The car was in sport mode, thus everything was sharpened. Throttle response, shifts, you name it. It felt quick no doubt, and the handling was superb as we took a merging right at speeds we normally wouldn't dare.

Soon after, the rep. put the vehicle in comfort(eco?) mode. Instantaneously I could sense the car change. The throttle response was butter-smooth, the ride was comfortable. It turned from a savage millisecond shifting sports car into a luxurious cruiser! I was shocked. One surprise after another; as I stopped at a red-light, the car turned off (eco mode). As I let off the brake (or if I had turned the steering) the car turned back on! It was a feature required in Europe for better fuel economy and could have been turned off, but I saw it as environmentally friendly, especially at stop-lights and/or traffic jams.

As we drove back to the dealership, I was left with a feeling of awe and amazement. In conclusion, I reminisced at the thought - In as little as 5 years since the last iteration of the e9x 3-series, BMW has yet again changed the definition of what makes the Ultimate Driving Machine.

side note: It was a bit pricey, all optioned up ~$57k + ttl I'm sure. Also, the N55 felt similar to the N54, ratings were at 300hp/tq which is identical to the past. Hopefully they will change that out for something a bit more beefy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Nice interior indeed, but other than that, nothing to make any enthusiast, me at least want to upgrade. I mean WTF!!! the last time we saw a power upgrade was 2007!!!!!! it's been $#@!ing 5 years and still 300hp/300tq, seriously???? lol. I also, read that electric steering sucks compared to the E90 steering.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Uhh...maybe the interior would look better without the red, because for me it's kind of nasty looking, well the aluminum not the threading...I don't know...personally I like the E90's better than the F30's...the F30 looks like a fat guy sat on the front and just SMOOSHED the face together...but that's just me...I'm sure it's an awesome car to drive though, I've never been disappointed by the drive of any 3 series really...
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I was disappointed by the N55 - but I'm hoping they upgrade it soon. That is one part I left out from the review. Kind of wrote it hastily!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

when do you think they are going to update the engine? Been hearing pretty good reviews about the new F30
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    when do you think they are going to update the engine? Been hearing pretty good reviews about the new F30
    Well, considering that the N55 is fairly recent, I don't think anytime within the first couple of years of the model. Who knows, I may be wrong.