Yes Reputation No
    Ummm something is wrong there...
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    Ummm something is wrong there...
    how so?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Twin screw KBs are so nasty.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Twin screw KBs are so nasty.
    Especially when they are splitting your ears in half while laying rubber on the dyno in front of you that you're running.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
    how so?
    That second car doesn't look to ever seriously try to run... KB cars are nice out of the hole but most lack top end grunt while the PC car is a top end performer but with decent bottom end power. The distance between the two allowing they are otherwise stock seems way too large IMO. I'f like to see some more runs or rolls. I could well be wrong here...
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    if that kenne bell is designed anything like the 2.9L whipple im putting on it has plenty of top end

here is an example of the whipple
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My 91 stang had the first KB GT40 manifold in the states. It was a killer. God I stiill miss that car. 5th gear pulls from 35 at 1000rpm where alot of fun.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Compared to a Centri car Roots blowers fall off harder at high RPM... The 2.9 is a MASSIVE blower as you already know a stock motor 2V GT is running a 18 or 2.2 most likely. Here's a vid with a there KB taking the win in deference to your point. Its the same two cars I believe

We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    Compared to a Centri car Roots blowers fall off harder at high RPM... The 2.9 is a MASSIVE blower as you already know a stock motor 2V GT is running a 18 or 2.2 most likely. Here's a vid with a there KB taking the win in deference to your point. Its the same two cars I believe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt3ATyz8tns

gotcha...i see your point...guess its time for the kb to switch to a bigger displacement blower...lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    My 91 stang had the first KB GT40 manifold in the states. It was a killer. God I stiill miss that car. 5th gear pulls from 35 at 1000rpm where alot of fun.

Are you serious!!? That is awesome, I used to love the KB 5.0 combo. I never owned a KB but I do own a foxbody, and in fact the KB blowers were so rare on foxbodies. They were a lot more common on the 4.6s. How did you tune yours? Did you get the 1.5 or the 2.0? I know that there werent that many blower size options for the foxbody, but the people that did get them said they were very fun.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are you serious!!? That is awesome, I used to love the KB 5.0 combo. I never owned a KB but I do own a foxbody, and in fact the KB blowers were so rare on foxbodies. They were a lot more common on the 4.6s. How did you tune yours? Did you get the 1.5 or the 2.0? I know that there weren't that many blower size options for the foxbody, but the people that did get them said they were very fun.
    Yeah, I was their guinea pig, so to speak. I knew there were issues when it first arrived, as I bought a non polished one. Then during installation, their rear bracket support wasn't even close as well as the front mounting bracket needed a litlle messaging. Neither of which were of any real issue.

As far as tuning, I spoke with Kenne directly several times, and his staff. The only thing that was needed, were 30lb injectors, the matching MAF, and a battery recent. This combo proved very strong at the track for over 5 years, until I lifted a head gasket do to a weak fuel pump.

Okay, I did do some fine tuning with fuel pressure as well.

Car was amazingly strong. My crew chief laughed his ass off when he put it in 5th gear and actually accelerated. H e also raced a 5.0 NA.

Only problems that I ever had, were when I switched to some ARF aluminum heads. Immediately I was very lean, so new 42 lb injectors. Then there was still a fueling issue up top. Tried Vortechs, adjustable boost sensitive regulator. Which by the way does NOT work on a positive displacement blower, as it dumped fuel instantly do to instant boost. Several fuel pumps and regulators later, she was a killer again.

Just with a head swap alone, it picked up over 100RWHP.

Long story, new wife talked me into selling her several years ago.

I road raced her hard, for about 50,000 miles. Only trouble were 3 blown out T5 trannies. Back then there was no easy 6 speed swap, read this as cheap like today.

Car was a high 11's on street tires, slicks only broke T5's. This was with custom Eibach 800 lb linear springs in front, and 350 rears. Car was amazing at the track.

Thanks for the memories.

Oh yeah, it was their 1.8 liter twin screw if memory serves me right. Changed the oil in it twice, and packed the rear bearing once. Note: during road racing she blow oil out of the front dip stick, one little o-ring solved that issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have AFR 165s on my stock bottom end now. I always wanted a KB blower. So you basically didnt even tune it? What 'matching' maf sensor are you talking about? They sent you one? I hear horror stories about tuning KBs because of the off idle boost it makes.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have AFR 165s on my stock bottom end now. I always wanted a KB blower. So you basically didn't even tune it? What 'matching' maf sensor are you talking about? They sent you one? I hear horror stories about tuning KBs because of the off idle boost it makes.
    I ran the AFR 180's, with stock bottom end for years.

As far as the tuning goes with stock heads, it was simply a matter of buying a MAF that was matched for your injectors. I ran Ford Motorsport 70 mm, trimmed for 30lb injecotrs. A little adjustment to the fuel pressure regulator, aka my KB adjustable one that is, and bingo, DONE.

The ECU's are that flexible/adaptable.

Once the AFR heads went on, there were issues. Cold start was horrendous, aka stalling, and sputtering were the norm here. This I NEVER did get sorted out, as I was told from MANY tuners, that I was beyond the capabilities of the stock ECU limits. Once it was warmed up, everything would smooth out.

After switching to a 225l/hr in tank and a vortech in line pump. I had to get a boost regulated, adjustable regulator on the fuel rail. It took a little sorting out on this to make the AF ratio correct throughout the entire rpm range.

For a stock motor, a KB really requires NO effort.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Well I am somewhat familiar with the foxbody A9L computer. The TwEECer is a common tuning device, I always thought at a bare minimum you'd need that to tune it.

So you just went with a mechanical FMU and set it and forget it? Did you ever monitor A/F ratios?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Well I am somewhat familiar with the foxbody A9L computer. The TwEECer is a common tuning device, I always thought at a bare minimum you'd need that to tune it.

So you just went with a mechanical FMU and set it and forget it? Did you ever monitor A/F ratios?
    The stock ECU, with its MAF and O2 sensors does a great job with adjusting the fuel map. The MAF I was referring to is an electronic unit sold by Ford calibrated at the factory for the larger injectors, hence plug and play with NO adjustments required or even available to you.

I monitored my AF several times on a dyno, and I even had a dash AF gauge, but it was wired into the stock O2 sensors, so I never really relied on it.

My adjustable fuel regulator had a port for my fuel gauge, isolated of course so no fuel was in the cabin. It was simply a mechanical unit at first that you could turn to adjust idle fuel pressure. The second unit was boost referenced, and was adjustable for both boost pressure and static fuel pressure. AKA, 10 pounds of boost, which I ran on the street, could net you anywhere from 0-10 pounds of additional fuel pressure. Road racing I turned the boost down to 8 since there was NEVER made available an intercooler so sadly needed,

I would run just a little below 12.0 to be on the safe side, and to help with detonation. I also ran a MSD6-BTM to adjust the timing via the cockpit, aka retard when you hear any detonation. This was a huge advantage to be able to tune from the fly when you changed octane grades.

Once I switched heads from stock to AFR, it was on the dyno MANY times, as it took me months to sort out the AFR, with lots of parts, both stock,m and one off pieces. Keep in mind I bought the KB back in 1992. Switched heads somewhere around 97.

There simply was NOT alot of options back then my friend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wow, thats a good conversation right thur.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    I ran the AFR 180's, with stock bottom end for years.

As far as the tuning goes with stock heads, it was simply a matter of buying a MAF that was matched for your injectors. I ran Ford Motorsport 70 mm, trimmed for 30lb injecotrs. A little adjustment to the fuel pressure regulator, aka my KB adjustable one that is, and bingo, DONE.

The ECU's are that flexible/adaptable.

Once the AFR heads went on, there were issues. Cold start was horrendous, aka stalling, and sputtering were the norm here. This I NEVER did get sorted out, as I was told from MANY tuners, that I was beyond the capabilities of the stock ECU limits. Once it was warmed up, everything would smooth out.

After switching to a 225l/hr in tank and a vortech in line pump. I had to get a boost regulated, adjustable regulator on the fuel rail. It took a little sorting out on this to make the AF ratio correct throughout the entire rpm range.

For a stock motor, a KB really requires NO effort.
    Im such an idiot for getting the 165s. Everyone said dont get the 185s because of piston to valve clearance. I dont know if it was true or not, then agian I have a higher duration and lift camshaft and you ran a stock cam with those heads.

I can't believe you listened to detonation and backed off the timing that way, that takes some balls.

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Im such an idiot for getting the 165s. Everyone said dont get the 185s because of piston to valve clearance. I dont know if it was true or not, then agian I have a higher duration and lift camshaft and you ran a stock cam with those heads.

I can't believe you listened to detonation and backed off the timing that way, that takes some balls.
    You're a closet Mustang guy LOL... I love it

My 95 GTS is running the AFR 165CC heads with the Vortech combo and making good power on a conservative tune. ((425ish) Thats a stock cam and block I might add, the 185cc heads need a stroker motor and a cam to come alive IMO. I don't think it would have hurt your piston to valve clearance worst case you could notch the pistons if you had to. But honestly the 165 heads with a E cam and boost will make plenty enough power to split that stock block in half.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge