Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Two stock/baseline 91 octane N20 dynographs from the new 2012 F30 BMW 328i - Yes, it is underrated

We already knew the BMW N20 four cylinder was underrated from its 240 horsepower rating as we saw in a dynotest of the Z4 sDrive28i which put down 233 to the wheels. That dyno was done by Insideline who recently did a dyno of the new F30 328i and overlaid it with the Z4 dyno. As luck would have it, EAS also did a dynotest of the F30 328i so we have more than one graph to go on. For the record, Insideline was wrong about claiming they exclusively had the first 328i dyno.

Click here to enlarge

First, let's take a look at the EAS graph. On their dynojet and with 91 octane pump gas they hit 226.51 wheel, strong:

Click here to enlarge

Here is the graph from Insideline also with 91 octane but on a different dynojet, 240 whp:

Click here to enlarge

So, why the disparity of about 14 whp? Well, the dynojet Insideline uses is routinely seen providing optmistic numbers. Yes, all dynojets are not created equal. We feel the numbers from EAS are for more realistic and will be much closer to what others will be hitting with their baseline graphs.

Notice when the Z4 dynograph and the 328i dynograph are overlaid they basically mirror each other with the same dips and same curve. No change in tune in stock form, all N20's should look basically the exact same with variances due to wheel weights and transmission choices:

Click here to enlarge

The N20 is underrated quite a bit. This is likely done to keep 335 owners happy as the N20 does not give up all that much to the N55. This is going to be an exciting platform to tune and we should see the 300 whp barrier passed with this motor fairly quickly. 300 crank will be passed basically instantly with the very first set of tunes meaning an N20 with a tune will be a 335 killer in stock form.

Dyno video:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good numbers (certainly an improvement over N52) but it still won't make power as easy as an N55 nor will it probably be as responsive. Let's remember this is not an Evo type 4 banger with a huge stock turbo but instead a motor made for fuel efficiency. It certainly is a great base motor but i highly doubt it will make any type of serious power, let's just say I doubt that it is over engineered like the sixes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    Good numbers (certainly an improvement over N52) but it still won't make power as easy as an N55 nor will it probably be as responsive. Let's remember this is not an Evo type 4 banger with a huge stock turbo but instead a motor made for fuel efficiency. It certainly is a great base motor but i highly doubt it will make any type of serious power, let's just say I doubt that it is over engineered like the sixes.
    The N55 isn't exactly making huge power. The aftermarket may pay more attention to this motor due to its volume. Everyone will be able to have one, this is now the cheapest BMW motor to own.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The N55 isn't exactly making huge power. The aftermarket may pay more attention to this motor due to its volume. Everyone will be able to have one, this is now the cheapest BMW motor to own.
    Very valid points but the N54 will no longer be produced in new cars fairly soon so we can forget about anything of that sort... The N55 makes decent power (370 WHP with meth), it's just waiting for a turbo upgrade. You are right though, since there will be high volume for this motor, chances are that someone may build a turbo upgrade soon. It is important to also remember that the internals of this motor may be made like pretzels so power capabilities may be limited.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    Very valid points but the N54 will no longer be produced in new cars fairly soon so we can forget about anything of that sort... The N55 makes decent power (370 WHP with meth), it's just waiting for a turbo upgrade. You are right though, since there will be high volume for this motor, chances are that someone may build a turbo upgrade soon. It is important to also remember that the internals of this motor may be made like pretzels so power capabilities may be limited.
    The internals may not be strong or may be super strong, who knows.

We may see this motor get a lot more attention than the N55. I would expect Cobb to tackle it for one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like a great daily driver setup. Or maybe a ride for the wifey that i can still drive w/o hating my life while i do it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i didnt even know the dyno started... that engine is pretty quiet.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

We may see this motor get a lot more attention than the N55. I would expect Cobb to tackle it for one.
    You never know with this motor. It could be maxed out from the factory, but i dont think so. I think it will give the N55 a run for its money, but only time will tell. It would be nice to put in the M when the S54 goes... I mean the S54 is great, but the dollar per hp gained ratio is pretty high. Probably less than the HPF Stage I kit price to do if you could. Something about DI and HP fuel rails may prevent it from ever happining tho...More power and less weight...hey a man can dream right lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

If I remember that thread you posted on the N20. It shares tech/parts with the N55.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    If I remember that thread you posted on the N20. It shares tech/parts with the N55.
    Lot's of good details in there. Too many pages, I didn't read the whole thing myself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    WOW excellent motor, not to bad for a 4 banger with the heavy weight of the car!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wonder what it does on a Mustang Dyne. I've come to find that motors usually come a lot closer to their rating on a load-based dyne.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is the internal forged in these 4 bangers?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Is the internal forged in these 4 bangers?
    The info you seek is likely somewhere in here: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...N52-comparison

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That charts show a really nice low torq beast. I wonder what options will be available to give it a lil more ummmph at the higher RPMs?

I guess time will tell. I am excited to be following this car closely. It really looks like a winner Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jspirate Click here to enlarge
    I wonder what options will be available to give it a lil more ummmph at the higher RPMs?
    How about a big single?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The info you seek is likely somewhere in here: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...N52-comparison
    $#@!, i'm not interested in that info anymore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How about a big single?
    Thats what I did to my current car. Fun stuff!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats what I did to my current car. Fun stuff!
    Current car is what?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Current car is what?
    Actually, it would be more technically correct to say I went with the "medium," not the "big." Its a VW CC.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Actually, it would be more technically correct to say I went with the "medium," not the "big." Its a VW CC.
    Nice, trying hard to get more VW owners.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm SUPER impressed with the power the N20's are putting down. I think i'm going to have to give up the wifes 05 330i ZHP sooner than I thought!

Nice CC!!! They look amazing with a drop and rims! What kind of gains did you get with the upgraded snail?? My old man was going to get one of those recently, but I got him hooked on the Audi B8 S4 after a test drive. Loved it so much he picked up a 2011 2 months ago! Click here to enlarge APR Stage 1 until end of April for now. My only beef is that the Audi DSG Transmission is nothing even close to BMW's DCT Transmission! Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Last edited by ///MPOWERED; 03-22-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///MPOWERED Click here to enlarge
    My only beef is that the Audi DSG Transmission is nothing even close to BMW's DCT Transmission!
    How so?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How so?
    Sorry I don't have any technical data or anything to support my claim unfortunately, just speaking from my personal experience from driving both.

Althought I don't have as much seat time with BMW's DCT transmission as I do with my 6spd manual in my E46 M3 and my old man's B8 S4 DSG........ To me the BMW DCT Transmission just impressed the hell out of me when I drove my buddy's E93 M3. I was super impressed at the smooth quick shifts compared to Audi's DSG which wasn't as fast and also feels a little jerky at lower RPM while cruising in auto mode. (I.e Sometimes it kicks down when you don't want it to etc..) What ticked me off the most about the DSG transmission in my dad's 2011 S4 is it has a distinct early upshift from 2nd-3rd in Manual mode ONLY!! Leave the car in Auto and it will go straight to redline (7100RPM if I remember correctly) But for some reason the 2nd-3rd upshift in MANUAL mode the transmission shifts early at about 6000RPM. This is a well known issue with most B8 S4 DSG Owners from which Audi has yet to acknowledge and come up with a fix as of yet. Most of my local Audi dealers, Authorized performance and Indy shops locally know about the issue as well, but nobody has a fix for it as of yet! Click here to enlarge Still waiting for anyone to release some kind of transmission software as I'll be first in line to get it!

To be honest I didn't hate DSG/DCT Transmission as I thought I would (Diehard Manual gearbox lover) I could probably grow to love it! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    why is the idrive power output in kw not hp is it a euro model?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast